“Luxury that you would expect from a 5 star with delightful views!”

Overmeer Guest House
Ranked #32 of 127 Knysna B&B and Inns
Mossel Bay, Western Cape, South Africa
“Luxury that you would expect from a 5 star with delightful views!”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Once again we were photographing a wedding and therefore we needed somewhere close by and convenient and Overmeer guesthouse is only a short drive away from the cruise cafe in town! This guesthouse superseded my expectations.

Upon arrival, I was a little bit hesitant as it is quite a windy, narrow drive up the hill to the guesthouse and then a steep driveway down into the parking area however once I walked through the doors, I was happily greeted by one of the ladies at reception who had knowledge of us arriving early. Our room was ready and I was shocked as I had originally booked a garden view room and what welcomed us was a wonderful panoramic view of the knysna lagoon with a lovely balcony to sit on and enjoy! Great stuff!

The room was very spacious, and gives you a stunning sense of luxury. Its also modernly decorated, and the king size bed was massive with divine linen! There was also a jet bath and a seperate shower. There is a lovely minibar which is stocked with reasonably priced goodies and their vanity kit was great - considering I forgot my razor at home and they provide one for you free of charge! What a bonus!

After a peaceful nights sleep, we arrived for breakfast. It was very busy and I could see the girls were rushed off their feet, and we chose to sit in a more popular spot closer to the view where people had just left. I was very suprised to see how quickly we were attended too and our table was set for us in a swift movement, which was very impressive. The breakfast was yummy, and there was a lovely atmosphere with upbeat instrumental music creating a positive ambience.

All round it was a lovely experience, from the booking all the way to the departure. We didnt get a chance to use the pool but it was crystal blue and wonderfully private - next time I will be sure to pack in my costume to take a dip!

Only one little glitch - Upon returning home after the wedding, our room wasnt turned down - I know that they were fully booked the evening so I understand if things were a bit hectic but we werent too fussed about it anyway.

Very well priced for acommodation, and I would describe staying at Overmeer similar to a 5 star establishment.

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms have wonderful views of the lagoons, and you can open your sliding door while lay...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
St. Gallen
Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

A really nice stay!
Nice and spacefull rooms with balcony and a breathtaking view! Every room has a kitchenette and a mini bar. Breakfast its continental, with a lot of choice,meat, fruits, ceralies ecc, eggs can be ordered separetly.
Pool area is quite big, with different places to sit or lay down.
Service very friendly a sympatic! They use to practice night service, that means they will take down the pillow and make ready your bed in the evening. When you are coming home from the dinner, every thing its ready to sleep! Super!!

One negative point (my opinion): the brightness in the bathroom is more then poor!! They have one lamp in approx 2-3m high celing with an energy safe bulb. I could not shave my selve in the bathroom, because it was too dark! I hope they will install nice spots on the mirror soon!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Paris
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Unwelcoming staff - there was hardly a smile on the person that handed the keys over and processed the bills. Always had the feeling that the requests / questions we had were annoying and a lot of trouble for them. They were also not very knowledgeable about the attractions in the area... had to google to find a place that is recommended on the official knysna website.

Apart from the view, seen only from a few rooms, there's nothing worth there.
The 4* there compared to other 4* we've been before there, were just miles apart.
It was our first time there and our last time too!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Krikri22
Frome, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We had a lovely stay at Overmeer. We arrived earlier than anticipated but this wasn't an issue. The breakfast area was large with great views over Knysna. The breakfast was nicely cooked with a good choice, and our room was clean & spacious.

It was 5 minutes drive from Knysna. Our room didn't have a great view but we only slept there for 2 nights and so it wasn't particularly important to us.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NeilLanning
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I won 2 nights for 2 at Overmeer Guest House in their Facebook page sometime last year so my wife & I decided to take it up on our birthdays the end of August...
The best guest house by far for us We had such a lovely and relaxing time at this paradise in the Western Cape Particular attention was give to us by the lovely staff... Consider offering lunch and supper/dinner though so as to avoid junk food!
We fell in love with Overmeer and Knysna all at once! Beautiful town with breathtaking views and places make you relax My wife and I are already planning another visit..!
Thank you very much for your hospitality Mr and Mrs Fechter

• Stayed August 2012
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My son and I spent 4 wonderful days at the Overmeer Guest House, the views of the Knysna River were stunning!! The room was so very comfortable and the breakfast was delicious. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The Guest House and the service on the whole had a very European feel ... really looking forward to perhaps a longer stay next time. Thank you once again for our happy stay at your Guest House. Zdenka

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Oudtshoorn, South Africa
Reviewed June 2, 2012

We stayed in this beautiful guest house on Thursday evening. on a business trip and needed a comforatble night's rest. We got more than we have bargained for! The location is perfect with our luxury room overlooking the world renowned Knysna Lake. The bathroom is exaclty how we like it - spacious with a shower and jacuzzi bath. Clean,fresh and luxurious - these are the words tha come to mind. I read the few bad reviews prior to our visit - please get real! The dog is beautiful and no nuisance at all! And the drive way steep, yes, and your car should have good hand brakes in any case - that is law , I think, so what is the issue then? We also firn the staff and management helpful and friendly. We could not ask for more. Thank you for a great stay!

Room Tip: Insist on the luxury rooms with a lake view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business