“Great service and a lot to offer”
Review of Conrad Pezula

Conrad Pezula
Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in Knysna
Kungsbacka, Sweden
“Great service and a lot to offer”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Our family of 2 adults & 2 kids age 1 & 4 stayed at the Pezula for 5 nights. Travelling with kids, we were initially disappointed that the pantry didn't have a micro oven nor cooking possibilities. Our 1 year old could wander out on the patio and down into the dirt since there was no fence on the 1st floor. However, we asked to switch to a suite on the 2nd floor, and the next day the hotel arranged so that we could move. Excellent! From here on our initial disappointment was turned to great enjoyment of Pezula and what it had to offer. Free shuttle to the excellent and deserted Noetzie beach with lunch (and a tour of the castle as an added bonus), spa, heated pool (although not very child friendly), child care services, fire place, large & beautiful suites, beautiful location overlooking Knysna and the golf course, and the excellent and friendly service offered by all employees. We had dinner at the Café Z 4 nights after our 1 year old fell asleep). We enjoyed the organic food, ambiance and beautiful interior of the restaurant. We found that the service in the restaurant could vary a lot. At all times the waiters were friendly, but some days they would be attentive and e.g. pour wine & water, and others not at all. I'm not sure what the aspirations are considering they also have the more luxurious Zachary "next door", but service should be consistent to ensure no disappointments for returning customers. All in all, this did not spoil the wonderful time we had at the Pezula.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Lars A
Hotelier12, General Manager at Conrad Pezula, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear Lars A,

I am pleased we could arrest the dilemma you had with the one year old, I know they can be a handfull. Thank you for reviewing your stay and allowing us to respond to you. I am pleased you enjoyed the facilities and service in general. The F&B service element are undergoing training on a daily basis and are improving as we speak.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service and we look forward to welcoming you to Conrad Pezula.

Kind Regards

Gert

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Having stayed at Pezula before this was the first return visit since Conrad took over, expectation where high . There are very few real 5 star hotels in the Western Cape once you leave Cape Town, Pezula and Zimbali are amongst them
Pezula main asset is its world class location golf course and beach , it does not get better than that. Previously I could not fault any part of the hotel as it was right up there with the best, but its hard to keep up there as new hotel start to offer more and better. We travel a lot and notice not so much what is right but what is wrong as at the top level hotels its show when things are not quite right.
It would be wrong for me to down grade this hotel and I would go back because of its location and golf course but it is very clear that since Conrad have been involved standards have lost their edge............its shows that the bean counters ( accountants ) have cut budgets . I noticed exactly the same when Fairmont took over Zimbali the standard was not the same. The large chains can not run these hotels the same as when they are privately owned

Small things that show ( but not major issues )
staff are very friendly and willing but not on the ball, quite often they would be chatting in a huddle why you were waiting for your food, when you asked could they chase up the food it would come but luck warm because it was waiting for them to serve it
Service by the pool was none existent you had to go into the hotel to ask them to come and serve by the pool again staff waiting around
You had to ask for a hot breakfast or more coffee no one took the lead to ask you
The fine dinning was great food some of the most inventive dishes but was let done but the 4 star service ie I had to send something back each time I eat there as it was not hot
The concierge had to look on google for telephone numbers rather than have there own directory or details of god restaurants to recommend
the above are just a few issues that shows a lack of training but more important middle management were not checking upon the staff to ensure they are doing there job properly this was shown in may parts of the hotel

The hotel need to be freshend up the rooms are beginning to lose their sparkle and are showina little bit of wear eg a small slit in the carpet or a very old style coffee machine......doesn't every 5 star hotel have an Nespresso machine.
Top management have to get off there backsides and really look around their hotel to see all the small things that are just not quite right

If the hotel was 100% full the facilities would be stretched in teams of F& B you could not seat

I agree with a previous comment about the spa little things like the therapist taking here shoes off just takes the edge off a top spa

I am very critical about the hotels I stay at because I believe that if you pay top dollar you should have you expectations not just managed but exceeded ... having said all of the above they are observations rather than criticisms and I would go back because there is very little completion at that level in that area of South Africa

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Alwaysaway16,

I thoroughly enjoyed our discussion prior to you leaving our hotel and I am immensely appreciative of the critical feedback we receive. My apologies for the issues mentioned.

I assure you of great service and attention to detail as we improve our teams across all disciplines with focussed training.

We value your input as a guest and do hope to welcome you back to Conrad Pezula.

Kind Regards

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 14, 2014

My wife and I booked a stay at the Conrad Hilton hotel which was on a 'special offer'. It included 2 nights B&B and two rounds of golfon the Pezula Course. Everything was very well organised, the staff extremely helpful and the hotel and golf could not be faulted. Also on the deal we had it was very good value. Everything helped of course by a weak Rand! My only negative comment would be that I expected a bit more from our 'Fine Dining' experience.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Conrad Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Luckyleaf
Hotelier12, General Manager at Conrad Pezula, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Dear Luckyleaf,

Your review is appreciated greatly. Thank you for allowing us to create good memories and telling us about them. We value you as a guest and hope to see you back here soon. I am pleased that you found our offer to be of good value for money.

Allow me to apologise if the Fine dining was not to your taste. We go to great lenghts to source only the finest ingredients and produce everything ourselves. Please do let me know direct if there is something specific you wanted to mention about the dining experience.

Thank you again for staying with us and affording us a 5 star rating.

Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

I was expecting a complete 5 star experience and as a stealthy traveller my expectations were high, especially for the prices which are over board completely. I ended up very disappointed.

The room service was possible the worst meal I've ever had, I remember the soggy fries were literally in a pool of oil. And boy where they some expensive soggy fries.

Service was friendly but slacking. Called a couple of time to be collected from our room to be taken to the reception area before actually being collected.

But my worst was that the spa prices were by far the most expensive I've ever seen ( even on an international level ). To a point where I had to call to confirm the prices twice to believe it. However, on a short getaway you can look past it and just try enjoy everything so my boyfriend and I went for a hot stone massage which was nothing short of average. Below, actually. My masseuse took her shoes off and her feet smelt awful, with my face directly above I wanted to throw up until I turned over.

Just felt like the biggest waste of money. Not returning, sadly.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jamilah7
Hotelier12, General Manager at Conrad Pezula, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear Jamilah7,

Thank you for the review. Please aIlow me to apologise for your experience not meeting and exceeding your expectation. Our chefs go through a great deal of trouble to source the finest ingredients and letting the ingredients do the taking on the plate. Apology that it was not to your liking.

I will investigate the spa incident personally. It certainly is not standard practice for therapists to remove their shoes while in session with guests. The therapists are highly trained and apply the highest standard of personal hygiene due to the close proximity to guests in which they operate. My apology for that and we will definately reiterate that to our team.

Thank you for letting us know about your experience. If we had known while you where on property we would have definately dealt with the issues there and then.

We hope to be able to rectify this on a future visit and I would be pleased if you contacted me direct to assist in making travel arrangements when next in South Africa.

Cotswolds
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

From the moment we arrived this was a five star experience. The warm and informative welcome by reception, the efficient help offered by a group of porters and the sheer luxury of the accommodation made this the best 5 star hotel we've stayed at here in the Cape. We had a lagoon view room which was really well equipped, sizeable and luxuriously furnished. We ate at Cafe Z on one evening and were impressed by the service and the wonderful tastes on offer. The waiting staff were maybe lacking in some elements of efficiency but they made up for it a hundredfold in charm and willingness. We dined in Zachary's on another evening and I was less taken with this. The menu is lovely for some but for me the focus seemed more on the art than the taste, though my tuna was cooked perfectly the addition of intricate and detailed ingredients served to more distract for me, that said my wife has a more delicate palate and she loved her meal. I lean more toward natural fresh tastes than the intricacies offered by truffles and fois gras. The golf was too challenging for me. The course is completely unforgiving and many will love the challenge of playing such a difficult course (if you're a higher handicap bring plenty of balls).
The hotel is well designed with all facilities centred on a main building and the rooms scattered in groups of four a short walk from the main hub (porters were always on hand to drive you in buggies if your feet need a rest). We found everyone working here to be completely charming and helpful and we will definitely return. We unreservedly recommend this hotel as a luxury retreat.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank welshtraveller09
Victor C, General Manager at Conrad Pezula, responded to this review, May 8, 2015
Dear welshtraveller09

Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay at Conrad Pezula.

We appreciate the time you have taken to personally share your experience. It is only through feedback that we continuously improve, reach our best performance and offer our valued guests an extraordinary experience.

I am proud to hear that you were made to feel welcome and delighted that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Thank you for the recommendation.

Kind regards

Victor Chalfoun
New York
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Quiet location, emaculate grounds, lots of different activities for family and kids (horse riding, beach, petting zoo, kids eactivity centre). Used the pool almost every day (was not busy) with views of the Indian Ocean in the distance. Located in a private reserve so very tranquil location. Staff could not have done more to make our stay perfect. Kids were met with goodies bags on their beds. Under floor heating, and Aromatherapy amenities added to the pure luxury

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Grand suite
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Cidinka
Dear SeniorBuyer,

I am so pleased that you found we had so much to offer. I always advise guests that you can be as busy or relaxed as you want to be at Conrad Pezula, the True Luxury of being yourself.

Thank you for the review, teh rating an dtelling us what we did right. I look forward to welcoming you back here soon.

South Africa
Reviewed February 26, 2014

overall a really good hotel and golf facility. the staff are helpful and pleasant and the quality of the food is very good. a very beautiful part of the world with lots to offer. the restaurants are varied and there is lots of options for everyone. the harbor tours are interesting and the hikes are beautiful. i am a mountain biker and the general area offers tons of safe trails to ride. There is even some great trail that you can ride from the hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Conrad Hotels & Resorts

Victor C, General Manager at Conrad Pezula, responded to this review, May 6, 2015
Dear Anthony J

Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay at Conrad Pezula.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your overall experience and proud that you received excellent service. We appreciate your feedback.

We hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to stay with us when you return to ride some of the beautiful trails in the area.

Kind regards