“Great stay at Peula”

Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels in Knysna
George, South Africa
“Great stay at Peula”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We have stayed at many 5 star hotels around the world, but this was prob our best experience, very helpfull and friendly staff, beutifull room, with wood burning fire place and fantastic food, must mention the entertaining barman Yves, who took uds through his cocktail menu. Definetly will go back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Conrad Hotels & Resorts

Hotelier12, General Manager at Conrad Pezula, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank you for such a big compliment. We recognize all our colleagues in the industry and am humbled by your comparison.

Yves is one of our stars on the team and we will be sure to commend him for the great service he gave you. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a review and your thoughts on the stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Conrad Pezula.

Gert

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2013

the Conrad Pezula is situated above the Knysna 'Heads' which look out towards the Southern Ocean and next to a world class golf course.

I visited with my Mum in July 2013 (SA winter) and suites with numbers 2 to 12 were the best choice since the balconies (especially 1st floor) had the sun for the entire day and had a great view over the lagoon in the distance.

Each day at around 5pm we received a call to ask if we'd like our fire made up. The room had a lovely modern glass fronted fireplace which was elegant and since it can certainly get a bit chilly in SA winter, very welcome.

Bathroom was gorgeous with deep slipper bath, large shower with 2 powerful jets and, as throughout the suite, underfloor heating. Robes were gorgeous; so much that I tried to buy one!

The breakfast (included in room rate), was a somewhat limited cold selection considering the relative luxury of the Conrad brand. Hot breakfast was available as an A La Carte option. However toast can be ordered at no charge; sadly we didn't discover this until we saw another diner having it- the point being, we weren't offered it.

We ate in the hotel restaurant (not their showcase one)on our first evening since we were tired after a long drive, and as a general comment I would say that additional staff training would be beneficial in this area. As we descended the stairs from the lobby to the dining area the 'welcomer' fiddled idly with her hands and stared into the distance; we seated ourselves. I should point out that the staff in the restaurant did nothing overtly wrong, they were not rude or unhelpful BUT the smiles, knowledgable help with the menu and specials, smooth order taking and service were very much in absence. In summary, not like dining at the Conrad in Hong Kong.

Wonderful indoor / outdoor pool, spa and gym...tidy, stylish and modern with a clean understated ethnic vibe, enhanced by clever lighting, natural woods and a weir.

All other staff in the hotel were very helpful, friendly, efficient and professional.... of particular note, the concierge who managed to get us 'last minute' tickets to a whiskey cruise during the Oyster Festival (Thanks!!), the reception desk, maids and parking valets.

Would I go back...Yes. I'd be back sooner if the breakfast policy were amended to include hot food (for this I'd happily pay more on the room rate). For me, breakfast on holiday is a part of the gentle transition from sleep to wakefulness and asking me to spend money when I've only just opened my eyes isn't the best way to handle it. Come on Conrad, you know it makes sense. :)

Room Tip: If you like sundowners on your balcony, choose a room where the terrace faces the lagoon and not the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hotelier12, General Manager at Conrad Pezula, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear scubadoo74,

Thank you for being so precise and giving fellow travellers an account of what you experienced while staying with us. We pride ourselves in providing superior service and authentic guest connection and feel honoured when we are recognized for our efforts.

I appreciate the compliments to the team and also the constructive criticism on the service side.

Unfortunately I can not determine what rate you booked but if you booked a promotional rate we might have only offered a Continental breakfast on that particular rate. We do have B&B rates available and I suggest that you book that teh next time you plan your trip.

Please do make contact with me for assistance with your reservation when you do decide to visit your mother again in our beautiful town.

Milton Keynes
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights but really wished it had been longer! It was just so peaceful and relaxing. The hotel is immaculate and beautiful, in a stunning location overlooking the Knysna lagoon. Each and every member of staff is so helpful and friendly. The hotel wasn't that busy during our stay, but the staff members got to know us - that personal touch goes a long way.

The rooms are amazing - large and spotless, with one of the best showers I've come across in a hotel! They will come and light your fire in the room in the evening if you request it, giving a lovely atmosphere.

Unfortunately, we didn't have a chance to try out the spa - although I think it was quite pricey anyway. We had one evening meal at Cafe Z which was excellent (it is worth trying the locally produced beer). The breakfast was lovely and had a very good selection, including some unusual but delicious choices. I particularly enjoyed the shot of whiskey they added to the Scottish oats porridge - a welcome addition on a chilly morning!

Golf carts to assist with luggage were a nice touch, as was the free shuttle offered to Noetzie beach, where we even had a tour of the main castle (as nobody was staying there at the time).

I will definitely stay at this hotel again in the future - I really cannot fault it at all.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear TPworldtraveller,

Thank you for making it possible for us to serve you so well. We are privileged to serve guests and receive this kind of feedback.

I wish to thank you for taking the time to write a review and telling us what we do well. It is appreciated and we will continue to pursue the best service delivery possible.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Conrad Pezula.

Cape Town, Brazil
Reviewed August 16, 2013

This hotel is on a league of it own. Luxury and extremelly friendly staff for a very reasonable price considering what you get. The room was really spacious and spotless. Really enjoyed the family stay and would definetely recommend it

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Sacha R,

Thank you for such a big compliment and taking the time to recognize us for doing our job well. We are honoured and hope to serve you again in the not too distant future.

The team work really hard in presenting the hotel and it is always fantastic when we can give them direct feedback from our guests.

Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I stayed at the Conrad Pezula (part of the Hilton group) for 4 days, the staff at this hotel were amazing. The hotel offers a shuttle service to the beach , for shopping or to dine in Knysna . Breakfast , lunch and dinner is served at Cafe Z. BUT the food at the hotel is appalling, not at all what one'd expect from a 5 star hotel. So, please make use of the shuttle service to eat out . I recommend their spa, it fantastic and if you enjoy golf, you will love Pezula

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing the ocean
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mariam M
Dear Miriam M,

Thank you so much for your review and taking the time to let us and fellow travellers know what you enjoyed. I am disappointed that you did not enjoy the food offering. We prepare all our food from the freshest produce available and source everything locally. Our food philosophy is to keep the food as simple and natural as possible. I am sorry that it was not to your taste but request that you engage me direct with a bit more detail on what you did not enjoy about the offering.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the rest of the hotel and what it offered.

Best Regards and I look forward to hearing from you.

jhb, South Africa
Reviewed August 14, 2013

it is always a pleasure to stay in this hotel, the service is consistently good and the accomodation is always super comfortable. It is convenient to use the restaurants as they are closely available. It is definetly good value for money.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Alex P,

I would like to express my gratitude for the review that you have provided. Receiving positive feedback inspires us to do more and better. Your time taken to give us a rating and motivate us to do better will not be wasted and will surely motivate the team.

Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Conrad Pezula for a business trip (national launch of the BMW 3 Series Gran Turismo) and it is such a beautiful hotel. The staff were very friendly and the food was great. Got the opportunity to experience The Castle on Noetzie Beach and it was such a revitalizing experience. I will certainly return for a visit with my family!

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Edward M,

Being host to the National launch of the BMW 3 Series Gran Turismo was an honour for us and we so very much enjoyed hosting the journalists and yourself at Conrad Pezula.

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review and recognizing us for a job well done. Your innovative way of using social media was very well done too,

We look forward in assisting you in planning the next launch at Conrad Pezula.