“Truely inspirational - luxury for the soul”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Conrad Pezula

Conrad Pezula
Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels in Knysna
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Truely inspirational - luxury for the soul”
Reviewed May 23, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at Pezula Resort Hotel & Spa from the 18 - 20 May for a friend's birthday and my expectations were exceeded at every turn. The Resort has so much to offer and really focuses on the clients experience which is what traveller's want these days.....an experience that feeds the soul. From the minute we arrived to the time we left we felt cared for; pampered and looked after - the hotel rooms are luxuroius and yet cosy and the fireplace made it all the better. Our servcie at rbeakfast and dinner was amazing and the staff went out of their way to make us comfortable and we left feeling like a part of the family. We also used the Spa which was terrific and visited the Pezula Castle for some beach time the day we left - incredible!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Hotelier12, General Manager at Conrad Pezula, responded to this review, May 25, 2012
Dear Lianne K,

Thank for taking the time to rate us. I am pleased that we managed to create an experience for you rather than just another hotel. My Team and I feel very strong about experiences and believe we are in the memory making business first and foremost.

With Kind Regards

Gert

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed May 22, 2012

The property has the best location, with views that are oout of this world. There is ample staff to assist with anything ranging from lighting the fireplace to transporting you to the room.
The hotel has provided a lot of fillers to entertain you such a games room, a dvd library with a comprehensive selection, music library, out door activities and the list goes on. A shuttle is on standby to take you to the many different activities....what a pleasure!
The Spa has so many options including a Spa Menu for little princes and princesses.
Breakfast and Dinner at Cafe Z was lovely supplemented by what I can describe the as one of the best winelists I have seen.
The Resort is family friend - so I will be retruning with my children next time. I absolutely loved Pezula - Thank you Ilse and her Team!!

Room Tip: The Rooms are built Villa style so every room has an advantage. Nice size rooms with a functional fi...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Kagiso,

Thank you so much for rating us and letting us know what your experience was like. I truly hope that this birthday will be one that will be remembered for many years to come and thank you for choosing us to celebrate the occasion.

Newlands, South Africa
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Stayed here for my 50th birthday. What a treat!! We checked in for 3 nights and from the word go, I knew this was going to be special. On arrival we were met at the front door and our car was whisked away to its parking space underground. Check in was smooth, with complimentary drinks and then we were taken to our luxury suite with the finest views over the golf course and and out to sea. We were warned by our porter to keep our doors locked when we were inside the room, but if we were sitting on the balcony it would be fine. The reason being visiting baboons who have learned to open the doors of the suites to get in for the food in the kitchenettes. Not long after that we had our first visitor passing in front of us on our balcony!
Our meals were taken in Cafe Z and from breakfast through to dinners, the food was excellent as well as very friendly and slick service! There is also a formal restaurant, called Zachary's but we did not manage to visit this-next time.
We arranged a day hike through the estates private forest and meandered down to the river with our very knowledgable guide,William,where we had booked canoes for a slow and leisurely paddle down to Noetzie beach. There we had a lunch arranged for us at the hotels private castle on the beach, sitting outside watching the waves rolling in. What an unforgettable day.

The hotel also has a top golf course and spa which we did not use, as well as an indoor gym. Facilities also include tennis courts, archery and petanque.

A highly recommended hotel and nothing I could fault them on at all.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotelier12, General Manager at Conrad Pezula, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Dear Childa S,

Receiving a review like the one you wrote is such a feel good experience. Thank you so much for taking the time to write the review and giving us the opportunity to make your Special day, even more special.

Here's to the next birthday!! Have an awesome year and thank you once again.

geneva
Reviewed April 11, 2012

We went to the Pezula for two nights with my wife and two sons. The resort is nice and the rooms are great. However, I think we were there off-season, and the place fell empty. If you are not a golfer, there is not much to do. You can visit the beach, but the shuttle that takes you there comes by every two hours. The beach is not walking distance.

The restaurant is good enough, although not exceptional. Service was a bit lacking. Overall, I would not recommend with kids. The place has a very strong "corporate event" atmosphere.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank sikorskd
Hotelier12, General Manager at Conrad Pezula, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Sikorskd,

Thank you for the review that you wrote. We are sorry that you did not experience it as a resort with unlimited activities that could be experienced in and around Knysna.

We have since addressed the service inconsistancies with training and have a childrens facility with everything a child could need. We offer baby sitting facilities and qualified child minders look after our future generation customers.

Thank you for letting us know what your experience was like and we look forward to welcoming you back to Pezula.

Johannesburg
Reviewed April 11, 2012

I must admit days before we left for our Easter break I read some of the reviews below and I started to worry a little.... we spent 5 nights at Pezula the week before Easter as part of our family holiday and we had a wonderful time! Travelling with our two children (1 and 3 years old), the staff where friendly and went out of their way to interact with the children. Check in was quick and easy, the room was large, comfortable and clean. The shower was one of the best showers ever! And the amenities were awesome! I must admit we only had breakfast at the hotel once, and as we were with small children didn’t eat in the evening at the restaurant at all. We had room service twice, the food was good and it arrived in good time.

You are able to call and request different types of pillows if the ones in the room on check in are not to your liking. I requested to have different pillows sent through to the room and this was done immediately. However, they did not have the correct pillow covers for the new smaller pillows, so I had to sleep with a rather large pillow case folded backward twice over the pillows. My feeling is, if you are going to go to the effort to offer 4 different types of pillows, then you should at least have the correct size pillow cases to match the pillows.

We did see the baboons on one occasion, and they were very big and a little scary. One of them came right up to the sliding door while my children and I were sitting on the bed and he tried to open the door. Luckily, it was locked (as you are advised on check in to keep the doors locked in case the baboons are in the area). A few minutes later, our room service order arrived, and the gentleman who brought the food, did warn me that the baboons where in the area and that I should keep a look out for them.

As we are South African's I did find the prices for breakfast, meals at the restaurant and beverages to be very high, and I was offended when a staff member offered to clean our car for R 190.00!!

Other than that, we had a wonderful time and if I could in the future, I would definitely return.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear Tanya R,

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is reports like yours that make us want to do even better. The baboon problem is under control to a large extent. They sometimes still frequent our grounds but we have had minimal incidents over the past months.

Your comment on the car wash was taken seriously and we addressed it immediately with all team members at the time.

Thank you for letting us know how you felt and we look forward to seeing you at Pezula in future.

solihull
Reviewed March 23, 2012

I hate complaining but Pezula failed us in every single department and we were so very disappointed. Where do I start : Our room was musty and the bed was damp - no heating which was needed - we asked every day for something to be done ! The T V was ancient being one of the first generation huge TV's which stuck out approx 4' into the room and had not TV guide or instructions- dreadful quality picture ! The Menu in the restuarant was very limited and when I asked for some soup the first night as I was unwell I was told basically NO, Soup, other than pea, was not on any menu. I felt that the chef at a supposed 5 Star hotel could perhaps make some ? NO came the reply. The barman when I ordered a G & T gave me no choice of the gin and poured all the tonic into the glass which had no ice nor lemon !!!
The grounds were so overgrown we had no view from our patio only overgrown bushes and weeds ! Judging by there only being 1 other couple in the restaurant and nobody in the bar it would appear that Pezula may not make the year out !

Room Tip: Sorry but my advice would be to stay somewhere else
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank j4gun
Hotelier12, General Manager at Conrad Pezula, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
Dear J4gun,

Thank you for taking the time to report your experience at Pezula. We pride ourselves in paying individual attention to each and every guest that reside with us. When I read your review I am distressed and disappointed.

I have sent you a note direct to your profile so I can engage with you on a one on one basis. Please reach out to me.

Gert Venter
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Beautiful property.Magnificent views . Great large luxurious rooms with separate dressing rooms and bathrooms to die for.Large balcony. Small fridge and food preparation area.

what are the problems?

Well the whole complex is built on a steep hill and all carts have to be parked at the top. If , like us , you have one of the cheaper rooms, then this will be at the bottom of the hill whilst all the hotel facilities, pools, restaurants etc are at the top.Result? You don't really need the exercise facility but you certainly will need the pool to cool off

And the food is not impressive, even in the so called gourmet restaurant. You will pay a lot of money for pretentious food which just does not deliver. The cheaper cafe style restaurant is much better value.

And the plumbing, as so often in our experience of South Africa hotels, is not quite up to scratch. We had cold water taps which at times only produced hot water.Even the hotel plumber admitted defeat.

Service , again as so often in Africa, is all smiles but often lacks substance.

But the biggest problem we found were the baboons. The hill on which Pezula sits seems to be infested with baboons.The management maintains they are harmless.Tell that to the residents of Cape Point who know only too well how baboons can tear guard dogs apart and create havoc in houses as they scavenge for food.

At Pezula they open the balcony doors if they are not locked and come in to search for food. If you eat out on the balcony you are liable to find two or three looking hungrily around the corner at you.We stayed in behind locked doors after having had to chase two out of the room.

And two others still got in later, luckily whilst we were out, through a bathroom skylight which the housekeeping had unfortunately left open.It took the clean up crew more than an hour to get rid of the resulting mess .

Pity really. They spoiled what could have been a great stay

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotelier12, General Manager at Conrad Pezula, responded to this review, March 21, 2012
Dear Roger 39,

Thank you for your time to make us aware of your observations at the hotel. I can assure you we have taken the necessary action to improve the service aspects of our guests stay. Our guest service index averages at 96% and we are always looking for that illusive 100%.

The Baboons are present as you state and there is an active management policy in place between the Hotel, the Private Estate and local residents.

Gert Venter