“Get close up with the last of a breed.”

Knysna Elephant Park
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
4-Day Garden Route Experience with Ostrich Farm...
Ranked #5 of 80 things to do in Knysna
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Founded in 1994, The Knysna Elephant Park was the first facility in South Africa to house and care for orphaned African elephants. The first orphaned calves (from a culling operation in the Kruger National Park) named Harry and Sally, after the famous movie of the time, remain part of the KEP family today: Harry as the dominant bull and Sally as the matriarch of the herd. Since 1994, we have cared for and raised more than thirty elephants. These animals include relocated animals, orphaned calves, elephants rescued from culls and ex-circus animals. Some have become part of the KEP herd, others have moved onto other reserves and facilities in the Western and Eastern Cape, taking in to cognizance their personalities, bonds with other animals and welfare needs. The present KEP herd numbers nine - the largest domesticated matriarchal herd in the country. Your elephant encounter begins starts in our Interpretation Centre where you are introduced to our elephants, through beautiful photographic and informative displays. Here you can also book an elephant-back ride, a sunrise walk with the elephants or special exclusive sundowner tour. A short video presentation gives you further insight into the Park and its elephant-orientated missions and goals, before you enter the Park to meet the elephants. Our facilities are world class and our style of management ensures that our elephants interact with guests on their own terms. Within this habitat, we call a "controlled, free-range" environment, our daily tours offer guests the opportunity to get up close and personal with our elephants; but still gives the elephants to some freedom and choice. Guests may remain with the elephants as long as they wish, before being transported back to the Restaurant and Curio Shop. A Photography Department is also available for guests to purchase personalized photos and DVD's of their Extraordinary Elephant Encounter - making your memories last a lifetime! Our newly refurbished night quarters consist of a large covered elephant boma, which leads into an outdoor fenced camp. For an animal that can eat for up to 18 hours a day, this arrangement allows our elephants to exhibit a large variety of behaviours during the night. They are able to choose where they want to sleep - indoors or outdoors; who they want to interact with, as well as where and what they want to eat. This again contributes to one of the highest quality captive elephant management styles in South Africa. Our elephant boma and night camp are viewed from above by our Elephant Lodge guests, another first for South Africa...nowhere else in the country can you 'sleep' with elephants The need for research was recognized by The Knysna Elephant Park who then created the African Elephant Research Unit (AERU, est. 2009), aimed at improving the management and welfare of captive elephants throughout South Africa. Visitors to the park are privileged to have a close-up and personal encounter with these gentle giants, and leave having gained a healthy respect for these wonderful animals, as well as a better understanding of the African elephant and their plight across the continent. EXTRAORDINARY ENCOUNTERS - BE TOUCHED BY AN ELEPHANT
Reviewed January 31, 2013

These are the last 9 of the southern most elephants in the world and there are currently only these 9 left in the world. it is a sad reflection on what we have done to some magnificent creatures, but they are at least trying to save what is left, and being able to feed and interract with them is a rare and humbling experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,221)
All reviews
in 39 reviews
in 56 reviews
in 56 reviews

Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

I visited this awesome place ad part of my garden route exoloration

Words can not describe my expetience. The ellies as they call their ekephants were amazing

The nine ekephants they have sally , thato etc are real gentle giants. I did the 1 hour trip to feed them and touch them. .. yes I actually touched a live elephant with my own hands. Tge ellies ate fruits from the oalm of my hands.

If you ever visit the garden route this is a must do.

Keep up the good job knysnsa elephant park.

I was thoroughly amazed. This was life changing

Reviewed January 24, 2013

If you love elephants, this is the place for you. Plenty of opportunity to see these wonderful animals at very close quarters, even touching them if that's what you like, feeding them and learning a great deal about the. Well worth a visit.........and a humbling experience.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I love going to visit the KEP elephants. Sally is such a gentle giant and I also love the babies.

The staff at KEP are wonderful. Geoffrey is a very special man. I have visited the park on 6 different occassions, some with the family but mostly solo as I like to stay longer that the 45 minutes. There is never an issue with me staying longer. I just cannot get enough of the Ellies. Sad that Harry is no longer at the park, but I see that he is happy in his new home.

Keep up the sterling job. Hope to see you again real soon.

Carol Oberholzer Welkom