My wife and I spent 3 nights at the Phantom Forest Eco Lodge and would do it again tomorrow - we really did not want to leave. The lodge is built into the hillside of the Phantom Forest and blends in with the surroundings like it was meant to be there. It is somewhat remote so if you want shopping, restaurants, beaches, etc. within walking distance, you should consider another place. After a week in downtown Capetown, we appreciated the serenity and remoteness.
Sandy and the other staff were wonderful - we've traveled a lot and have rarely felt this well taken care of. Our home for the stay was the Gecko tree villa - how beautiful. The villa provides a large living and bedroom area with a separate bathroom (the tub is magnificent) and separate shower. A nice deck area completes the package. The weather wasn't condusive to sitting outside much but we did enjoy a late night glass of wine under the stars.
The onsite restaurant is top quality. We had requested vegetarian food before our arrival and were so impressed that for each dinner they had prepared a custom menu to suit with several delicious options. What service! The food was extremely high quality and the wine list left nothing to the imagination. We really felt spoiled.
Our last morning there the resident monkey tribe stopped by for a visit. How can you beat having breakfast with an audience of monkeys? Good times.
Can't wait to go back - we really loved it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The award winning Phantom Forest lodge and boma restaurant is situated in a private reserve on the Knysna River estuary, a magnificent setting of indigenous forest, fynbos and estuarine wetland. Designed to create only the lightest footprint , Phantom Forest offers superb luxury in complete harmony with nature. Accommodation consists of fourteen evocative "tree suites", perfectly integrated into the forest. Nature lovers can explore the reserve via forest and fynbos trails or canoe trips along the river. The Boma restaurant offers international cuisine served in the classic style while the body boma wellness spa provides a range of natural treatments. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com and South African Hotels so you can book your The Phantom Forest Eco-Reserve reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Phantom Forest Eco-Reserve Hotel Knysna
- Phantom Forest Eco Reserve Knysna