“Great Value And Food But Needs Better Leadership”

Freshline Fisheries
Ranked #3 of 167 Restaurants in Knysna
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The most unique and affordable seafood restaurant in Knysna with one of the tastiest, fresh seafood menus in the Garden Route. You can choose exactly what style meal you want e.g. rice, salad or chips with your fish, prepared the way you like it: Grilled,Fried or Wes-Kus style. Not licensed so bring your own drinks (BYO) beer, wine etc. No Corkage :)
Reviewed January 10, 2014

First the bad piece. Maybe it was just the time of year, but we found the operational end of Freshline wanting when it came to bookings, seating, smoking rules, and energy levels of the waitrons. The impression we got was that we were sitting in the center of a mild state of chaos.

And now for the good piece. One of our rules is that our whole family goes to lunch together at least once a week. I don't want to think about the aggregated cost of all those lunches but 1 thing is for sure, Freshline holds the record for the lowest cost family lunch we have ever had....by faaar! They fed 6 of us for what it normally costs me to feed 1 and a 1/2 people at other restaurants AND all the food ordered was just so fresh, tasty and well prepared! I think our bill came to just over R450 which included sea food platters??! I still can't believe it! The cost of drinks is also driven down significantly because you are allowed to bring your own and NOT pay corkage fees which is a real winner!

If it weren't for the operational aspects of this business I would happily give Freshline a "5" but for the moment the quality of food and great value make up for the negatives thus supporting a rating of "4".

1  Thank Adrian A
There are newer reviews for Freshline Fisheries

Reviewed January 8, 2014

As a local, this has become a favorite and a regular eating place for the family and I. The setting is rustic with wooden tables under shade cloth. If it rains, be adept at holding a brolly with one hand while you peel prawns and feed yourself with the other ! There is an enclosure to keep the little ones amused and by this you can gather that it is child friendly, particularly in the summer months and is a restaurant that starts early with a kitchen that closes at about 8pm. Menu-wise, their grilled calamari fingers/steaks melt in one's mouth and the xtra large prawns are perfectly cooked, tender and tasty. I'm lead to believe their platters are not too shabby. It's a delightful spot both in summer and winter when roaring wood fires burn in the aisles to keep one warm when it's cooler. Management keep a wary eye on proceedings ensuring good service levels. Having recently survived an evening (first week of January) with 3 tables for a party of 15 adults and 8 children, I can confirm that the restaurant's reputation in this regard was even further enhanced. Well done. The restaurant is unlicensed so, BYO. Pudding-wise.....you haven't lived until you try their trifle.

1  Thank ENEMEM
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We are Knysna locals and frequent Freshline Fisheries often. We thought it would be a great place to take family who were with us over the Festive Season. Well we weren't disappointed! There were a total of 15 adults and 8 children spread over 3 tables. Every single person raved about their meal - one group had seafood platters and the others had the prawns. The children all had fish fingers. Dessert was the delicious trifle and a few had the Malva pudding! The service was great - our waitress was Vanessa - she was just super! I highly recommend this casual Restaurant! Just remember it is BYO which makes it even better value!

Reviewed January 6, 2014

It was a blistering hot summer's day and I wanted prawns and nothing else. My dining partner was very agreeable. Scrumptious. Recommended.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

We went as a group of 17, and recieved excellent service. Their seafood was beyond compare and unbelievably well-priced. They don't sell alcohol but are very helpful in providing glasses and ice, as well as opening your bottles for no corkage fee. I had a platter for one, and everything on my plate was scrumptious. The kids played in their sand play area within sight from the tables and atmosphere speakers played golden oldies. They will definitely see us again.

1  Thank Pieter B