“Local experiende”

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We had a glass of wine and one of the special beers on tap. Then we ordered some food that was brought to us in a rather quick time. The filet and spare ribs were great as it was expected. It’s a local pub slash grill and good to see locals mixing with out of Townes. Was my first time I needed a doggy bag, huge stack of ribs!

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (203)

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

A great place to experience african food at a good price in a very friendly atmosphere served by a good English speaking host happy to talk.

Reviewed August 25, 2019

food was good, but some very weird characters came in and the taxis is just very hectic due to location

1  Thank annelize s
Reviewed August 5, 2019 via mobile

We were visiting Knysna for a very special birthday weekend. Stopped at Olde's on first night for a casual bite. The food was pretty good, the waiter was friendly and quite efficient.

Unfortunately there was a miscommunication on our order. We were told there was a special on the ribs. Order a portion and receive 350g free. We thought perfect for us to share. We ordered 1 ribs and chips.. waiter misunderstood and ordered 2. (He did not repeat the order back to us, or I we would have corrected him). When it arrived I assumed they had been courteous and plated on 2 plates for us. We tucked in and were very happy. When I was finished eating, I realised how full I was, and how much was still left on the plate.

The manager was at the table asking how our meal was, we said it was really good, and I mentioned my concern to him, that it seems like a lot, that I hope the waiter got our order right.. that we only ordered 1 portion.

After checking with the waiter the manager returned saying that it was 2 portions. I reiterated to him that we had only ordered 1. This manager then reverted to another senior manager, who came to address the issue.

He was committed to his stance on the situation from the beginning. It is his attitude that was the most disappointing.

He insisted that the waiters always repeat the order, so it must be us in the wrong (waiter never did). Additionally he said because we already ate, we should have noticed the size and alerted them sooner.. as if to say we should automatically know the sizes of portions, and maybe somehow indicating that we had planned this, or its our fault for not noticing sooner.

When we asked again for some sort of solution to the situation, his answer was that he understands what we're saying but he disagrees and cannot do anything about it. Furthermore he said at one point he refuses to do anything to resolve the issue. He also said its unfortunate but 1 in a thousand patrons will be unhappy with something and its just a pity. These are in my opinion awful things to say to a patron.

He did not care 1 single bit about customer service in this situation. There were a number of solutions in this instant.. he gave absolutely no interest in showing hospitality or discretion. And was quite happy to have us leave with a bitter taste in our mouths due to their mistake.

This complaint is based on principle. Its not always the case, but in this case, the customer was actually right. We did not get what we ordered.

We paid full price (although it never was about the money, but the principle) and left. Never to return.

The manager was inconsiderate and indignant, and our encounter with him spoiled a very special evening.

Suggest the manager takes a course in customer care. Such a pity for an otherwise great establishment.

3  Thank tdct444
Reviewed June 28, 2019 via mobile

We popped into Oldes for lunch and had amazing hamburgers. We had the chicken and beef burgers.

We mentioned that it was our son’s birthday and they made his day by bringing him a choc nut sundae and a surprise sparkler

Date of visit: June 2019