“Simply Awful!!!”

Ranked #18 of 167 Restaurants in Knysna
Cuisines: Sushi, Cafe
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A fun, vibey tapas restaurant situated on Thesen Island at the waters edge. Live music, sushi, global tapas and friendly service. A place not to be missed...
Reviewed March 20, 2014

By far the worst tapas I have encountered. Decided on this restaurant with the hopes of oysters. Unfortunately, this oyster bar did not have any oysters. Instead we chose the tapas, which was disgusting. The seafood bisque tasted like the bottom of a boat and all the sauces tasted tinned. We were both sick the day after. Would not recommend, especially with one of the best restaurants in Knysna (Sirocco) right beside it.

1  Thank Kondy1
There are newer reviews for Tapas and Oysters

Reviewed March 9, 2014

Being on the water's edge always gives any restaurant an 'advantage', but the service favourably compared and made for a pleasant total experience on the day.
A lot has been said about this spot and I agree that it's been more hot than cold. The price you pay for popularity and overcrowding, is regrettable in terms of the service and the food, but that in itself tells a story.
We thoroughly enjoyed our family outing and were satisfied with the personalized attention we received. I can safely say that, if you enjoy 'snacking' lots of different foods at good value for money, then make the trip. I would definitely take more visitors and friends there again.

1  Thank Pieter B
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

I do not give a restaurant a one star rating without really thinking it through, but this one wholely deserves it I am sad to say. I can list all the things that were wrong and there were quite a few service wise but the food was indeed the deal breaker here. The actual restaurant itself holds so much promise only to be let down so shamefully with the food, which most every other pub seems to manage quite well in the Knysna area ,so why can't they? I do believe that the management should take a good look at their kitchen and start from there as I have mentioned before, if they get that right, it would be a smashing place to eat, drink and be merry.

1  Thank Siegmeister
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We visited Knysna for the weekend and decided to have lunch at Thesens Island. The choices of restaurants are endless, but decided to try a different restaurant. The menu has a variety and was really difficult to choose. But end up with a nice light salad. Drinks could have been colder as it was very hot outside.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Tapas & Oysters is located near the waterfront on one of the islands in Knysna lagoon (Thesen) and is approached by a road bridge. There was a live band and we had a good time listening to them over a few drinks. The food itself wasn’t all that great. We ordered nachos which were good, a mug of pranws which was terrible and one more starter I cant remember now.