“All the way from JHB - Best Oxtail Ever !!!!!!!!!!!!”
Review of Le Maquis

Le Maquis
Ranked #7 of 164 Restaurants in Knysna
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: In the Heart of Knysna, enjoy French Cuisine by French Chefs in a cosy, relaxed but intimate place. Only 30 seats, so booking is essential NB : Our liquor licence is in process, so please bring your own wines
Johannesburg, South Africa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“All the way from JHB - Best Oxtail Ever !!!!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

i had the pleasure of dining at Die Gieter. Service was great. Staff were friendly ,attentive and
professional. I had the OXTAIL and let me tell you, being a chef myself and a Manager of award winning Bed and Breakfast in Sandton, this meal was OUTSTANDING. I have eaten Oxtail in many parts of the country - this was by far the best ever !

Compliments to Dalene and Husband on this enormous success !

Will definitely be back.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Zani R

Knysna
“Good value for money”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Die Gieter Restaurant, located on the edge of the Knysna River, offers both indoor and outdoor seating. When the weather is good we love sitting outside taking in the exceptional views on offer.

We have been to Die Gieter on a few occasions and have always enjoyed the meals we have ordered. The biltong pate is unusually presented and well worth trying. On our last visit we had the Impala curry - perfect for a cold and rainy evening. The staff are both attentive and very pleasant. Meals are reasonably priced and so are the wines. We will certainly return!

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank KnysnaHideaway
brenton-on-sea
“This is still one of my favourite eating places”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Last night, I went down to enjoy a great hot Impala curry. I asked for it to be hot. I got it hot for sure. Most enjoyable.

As a starter, I ordered the samosas which was a treat. Others at our table had the biltong pate.

One of the beast value for money eating places close to Knysna. Both Dalene and Hannes go out of their way to please their guests.

Next time I will order the oxtail. Its not always available but should think they could make a pretty good dish out of it.

We had one of the biggest electric storms at about desert time. Just as well we had candles on the table as the whole of Knysna had no electricity for about an hour. Gave a special atmosphere

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Derrick C
Somerset West, South Africa
“Wonderful birthday celebration venue.”
Reviewed June 2, 2012

Die-Gieter was recommended to me, by a trusted friend, a journalist with local newspapers, as a suitable venue for my recent landmark, birthday celebration. I contacted Dalene and between us, we worked on a set, but varied menu, three courses, to appeal to all my guests.
On arrival, we walked through the lovely, welcoming, gift shop/Deli area and were shown to tables, set out to accomodate the sixteen of our party. We had two waiters on hand to take our drinks and food orders. When the food arrived, hot, well presented, the 'buzz' around the table, was about just how good the food was.
We finished an exceptional evening with desert and coffee.
To be able to serve food of such a high standard to a couple or a family, would be an acheivement, but to a group, was remarkable. This is a seriously good restaurant and I am not easily pleased. Service, food, atmosphere was faultless. I checked with the waiters and bar staff, that they would receive a part of the service charge which they confirmed. There are three restaurants in the Knysna to Plett areas, I will recommend and they are Emily Moon, Zinzi and Die Gieter. If in Knysna, it has to be Die Gieter. Well done to Dalene and all the staff. Every single guest said that they would visit you again.
As a seperate issue. I have just read Heather B's comments. Tripadvisor, should be a forum for objective comment. It's not supposed to be personal, or snide. I would very much doubt that the good folks of Sedgefield, will be hanging on your every word for culinary advice.

• Visited May 2012
Brenton-on-Sea, South Africa
“Beautiful venue. Great service. Best oxtail in Knysna!!!”
Reviewed May 22, 2012

As being former "Brentonian", Knysna was the first choice for my birthday celebration. I chose Die Gieter restaurant as we had a great experience there during the December 2011 holidays. Dalene configured us a set menu to tickle everybody's tastebuds at a very resonable rate. We felt welome since the first second, the waitress and barman was very professional and give us the best service we could ask for. The food was out of this world!!!! The oxtail was in a class of its own! Everybody who had it commented on the well prepared dish and generous portion. The food and the presentation impressed me as I am a chef and restauranteur myself. The view from the restaurant deck is absolutly one of the best views of the Knysna lagoon and the 'Red Bridge". We certainly can't wait to go back. Thanks to Dalene and Die Gieter team for your hospitality and for making my birthday memorable! Well done!

• Visited April 2012