“Disappointing”

Ranked #51 of 101 Specialty Lodging in Knysna
Caminha
“Disappointing”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

The location of Riverside Lodge is quite superb with constantly changing views across the water, bird life, guinea fowl strutting across the grass morning and evening, etc. Photos are miseading and the accommodation is definitely in need of upgrading. Dinner was OK, as was cooked breakfast, but continental breakfast barely adequate. This place has 5 star potential

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kitty_eastaugh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Hebrew first
Mossel Bay, South Africa
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We just came back from a weekend, staying at the lodge. Although we had a lovely time, there are few things that need some attention. Our room was clean and had a lovely big shower (shower floor need some attention though). The room was furnished nicely and had everything you need. The television can GO... you can just experience the view. Speaking of views - the lodge has breathtaking views. We had a dip in the swimming pool and it was clean. The outdoor furniture is dated and just need some TLC. Sometimes it is just the little "luxuries" that makes the difference - even if it comes to a higher room rate. Thank you Johann and Madeleen - you and all the staff were friendly and helpful. The food was excellent. The moral of the story, if you want 5* quality you must be willing to pay for it. If you have a tight budget - you must be prepared that it might not be exactly 5*.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tergnieters
MI
Reviewed February 12, 2014

I am surprised to read the negative reviews on this place. I have stayed there a few days ago in a room in the main house and it was gorgeous. The location is amazing and the owners were really nice and sweet to me. I am sorry to read that others did not have the experience I had. Perhaps, the owners have upgraded my room already as they said they are in the process of doing so. I would definitely book the same room here again.

• Stayed February 2014
Purmerend
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Great location a little out of town in tranquille suroundings and beautiful views. Very friendly staff and a big, nice country style room. More than you could expect for your money. With the great 'Die Gieter' restaurant on the grounds. Highly recommended. We totally don't recognize the badmouthing in previous comments. Sounds like a vendetta to me!?!

• Stayed February 2014
brecon
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I have to agree with most of the other reviews here. This is the first time in fifty years I have refused to stay in a Hotel. The room was damp and there was mildew in the fridge. We moved to another room but it wasn't,t much better. I felt sorry for the elderly couple who were obviously trying to run it but I simply could not stay there- I would have been bitten to death! And it simply was not up to even a basic standard. It was embarrassing to have to tell them that we could not stay but to rate it as four star is simply outrageous! I would not rate it above one star.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank vaughansBrecon
Modena, Italy
Reviewed January 15, 2014

We checked in on Christmas Eve, quite late, into their cottage, supposedly for 3 nights. We were travelling the garden route and had stayed in other amazing B&B's, Lodges some quite a bit cheaper. Despite every window being open in summer the place absolutely STANK OF MOULD AND DAMP. You wouldn't keep a dog there. We could not breathe in the place or bear to touch the furniture, let alone sleep in the damp cold beds. The TV did not work and there was no throws/cushions like on their website... Suffice to say we checked into the Protea (late and in a panic) and then enjoyed Xmas. Literally we would have paid any amount to escape and not stay at this lodge. AVOID AT ALL COSTS. I have also to say I do not believe any of the positive comments made about this place are real. The woman at reception is not a nice lady in my opinion and should not be in business.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Wils673
Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

I honestly can't believe this place was given 4 stars. We stayed only one night but were really shocked: rooms are quite dirty, fan didn't work (owner unapologetically told me 'it was broken long time ago and we never fixed it'), furniture is cheap and rottening on the corners, and there was only a bath (no shower) in our room.
My suspicion is that this was luxury accommodation 20 years ago and the owner got too old to realise what luxury is nowadays. Or they just play dumb and cash in the money; after all they will get customers anyways since knysna is one of SA's top destination. I however believe they should be fined for false advertising, as another review suggests.
This place should be sold as a budget accommodation and priced accordingly.

Stayed December 2013