“Stay away!”

Knysna Riverside Lodge
Ranked #50 of 103 Specialty Lodging in Knysna
“Stay away!”
Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

We booked a 6 night stay in December and I have to say that this must be the dirtiest place we have ever stayed. We complained on many occasions but the dead spiders that were on the shelves on day 1 were still there when we left. Unfortunately for us we had paid in advance and it's next to impossible to find alternative accommodation during peak season so we had no choice but to stay - needless to say we spent a lot of time away from the lodge!! The rooms are nothing like what you see on the internet, which I pointed at out to the owners as soon as we checked in. Completely spoilt my perspective on Knysna lodges and the owners should be fined, they are complete fraudsters!!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jenhi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Hebrew first
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed September 11, 2013

The Botha family who own and run the lodge are incredibly welcoming and it's hard not to feel like you are part of the family or to feel like you have arrived home. The rooms were spotless clean and kitted out and I felt warm and safe... not an easy feat for a joburg insomniac lass flying solo. Situated outside of the bussling town, its easy to get lost in time and reconnect with beautiful natural environment that surrounds the lodge... waking up to the call of Fish Eagles, and falling asleep to the sound of frogs and owls, so special. Great place for lazy birders like me, just sit on the restaurant deck and wait, fantastic! Safe and tranquil, homely and relaxing topped off with great food, amazing people and cosy places to 'kuier'. My suggestion is have a couple's weekend or visit with group of friends. But be warned, its terribly hard to leave!

Room Tip: Forest room...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Reviewed August 23, 2013

The place is terrible, the 6 sleeper cottage is nothing more than a converted tool shed. It is cold and damp and smelt as such. I took my family else-where as there was no way i could subjet them to this place. The internet pictuers for the cottage was for the owners house and when I tried to address the matter with the owner i was told that it was too bad and no refunds on their concellation policy. STAY AWAY

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank R0land_H2013
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We liked the location, the view, the restaurant nearby. We didn't like that there was not enough hot water for both to take a shower, no soap. Also it was very cold to sleep at night ( I guess no heating).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank slyotter
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I left my fiance to book our honeymoon experience, and to be very honest, I had very simple expectations. When he joked that we would have to take our own bedding, before the trip, I wasn't really surprised. Although, thank goodness that was not the case.
We drove from Cape Town and arrived at Riverside Lodge at about 21h15 and were given good directions so thankfully we didn't need to drive around in the dark! We were warmly met by a friendly couple, who later became our friends known as Oom Johan and Tannie Linkie.
We were exhausted and I can't explain the feeling when we entered our honeymoon suite. Homely and very comfortable best discribe the decor, with warm solid furniture. My favourite aspects of the room being the bed and bath. We didn't have dstv and we have not watched tv on a normal tv (not flat screen) but I have to say, I quickly adapted with the mind set that sometimes, you have to force yourself to be on honeymoon in the beginning... Less tv and more quality time. We had not yet seen what was to delight us when we opened the curtains in the morning, as we arrived in the dark, and at first light, grasped at the most amazing morning sunrise over the Knysna Lagoon. Simply breathtaking, and the cherry on the top to any honeymoon experience. The next 2 days, we didn't want to leave the lodge and we spent a lot of time in their restaurant by the fireplace, enjoying the friendship of Oom Johan, the owners and our waitor Herculus.
We are driving back, with a lump in my throat, as I fear I am going to miss our room, the warm hospitality and amazing food! I will definitely return and recommend the lodge to those with simple expectations, who are not chasing the star ratings and glitch and glamour, but simple, old school, back to basics, where hospitality is a passion and not a job!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Wendy Victor
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We came across this lodge via groupon. As we had to attend a wedding we decided to book in here after our Wildernes getaway. We where greeted by a lady who gave us the key and some vouchers for breakfast. She told us that our room was just where you come in. Already we where disappointed as we made a joke and said we really hope this is not our "forest suite" As we made way to our room, the door did not want to unlock. The was even a cockroach that had been killed/stepped on and not taken away. We unlocked the other door where we had to climb over a wall to enter. We had a lot of luggage and was not easy carrying everything over the wall and in the room. The room did not have a pleasant smell. It was the smell of mould and dirtiness. The bathroom counter was rotting at the edges, and the walls of the bathroom where moulding. The only view of this "forest suite" was at the side of the cottage. The bedding felt dirty and had this awful mouldy smell. We could not stay another minute. We where so incredibly sad and did not know what to do. We asked my nephew to call and help us out of there, as we felt extremely bad for not knowing what to do. He said we have a family crisis. Lucky for us he lives in George and we could stay with them for the night until we could book us in elsewhere! We are extremely disgusted that we could not get our money back. This is not the way to make money. Start looking after your lodge, and then expect happy customers!

I have taken photos of: the rusting heater, the dead cockroach at our doorstep, the mould on the walls, the rotting cupboard, the awful bedding, the outside furniture coming apart, the wall we had to climb over. I will NEVER go back. We are so incredibly sad!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Welma V
South Africa
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Outside Knysna and next to the Lagoon. Beautiful views! The staff are friendly and helpful.In this lodge you will feel at home. We had a wonderful morning, could not get out of the comfortable beds. We will be back

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family