“Great Evening”

Ranked #55 of 172 Restaurants in Knysna
Cuisines: International
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This 90 seat restaurant at The Turbine Hotel creates a totally unique environment for all meals. Tables overlook the canal, pool deck or are nestled between the original refurbished turbines. Warm open fireplaces and majestic sliding glass doors allow us to maximize and match the ambiance and weather conditions. The Island Café has won the prestigious 2011/12 Diners Club Platinum Awards.Open daily for Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We had a great dinner and thought that the food prices for the high quality offered was extremely reasonable. This must be our fourth visit and it's always been consistently good. It was pre-season and fairly empty, but this did not detract us and it was worth every minute.

Peter D, General Manager at The Island Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Dear LorenzoMarco
Thank you for taking time to review The Island café. Wondersul that you have been back to us and found a high level of consistency. Please you must come back soon again. Original opening chef Andrew O is back in the kitchen and is producing the most awesome dishes. We would love to get your latest comments.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

We received a voucher to have breakfast at the Island Cafe and were pleasantly surprised. Food was delicious and so was the coffee! The hotel is quirky and fun - what a combo art for the ladies and machinery for the man!

Dear MissCPT
Great to get a breakfast review. We have upped our game even more and now offer a continental table as well. What a setting, just 20m away from the canals to sit and enjoy great food and....as you comment really good coffee. thank you for a wonderful review.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

We enjoyed our breakfast visit to the Island Cafe. The food was nice, although portions are small. The decor and atmosphere is really interesting with the old remnants of the old power station. The service was attentive and friendly. I ordered the pancakes, and got three very small ones and nothing else on the plate at all. Order something else. My husband was satisfied with his egg breakfast.

Dear bluegoldhighlander
Thank you for reviewing the Island Café at breakfast. We have changed quite a few menu items and have included a continental buffet table as well. New and interesting dishes on the a la carte' side, which cater for the savoury as well as the sweet tooth.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Amazing food! The menu may be small, but it's super tasty! And the creamy-mussel starter is the best I've ever had. I'd highly recommend this little spot as to me it's the best on the island.

Dear Andrew S
Apologies for the late review, but thank you nonetheless for such good comments on the Island cafe'. We have a new menu with a superhot chef that is producing some awesome contemporary dishes. Please visit us again soon and we look forward to your comments.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

After giving this restaurant a second chance, I can not but advise that you pass this one without giving it a second thought. Although the decor idea is fun, the rest of the restaurant does not measure up at all. Really bad, or should I rather say, intermittent bad service, cause there were times we were just totally ignored, mediocre food and a hefty price tag makes this one to miss.

I normally tend to highlight only the positive areas, but in this instance I cannot even give a balanced review because there really was not much positive regarding the entire experience. Service was patchy at best and on numerous occasions we had to request some attention. It really felt like you were imposing. The manager apologized and promised he would attend to matters but nothing really changed. One thing I don't like doing is complaining in restaurants, I rather just leave, but here we were quite settled in and hungry so we had to grin and bear it.

When the food finally arrived, the steak was just short of dried out when we had ordered medium rare and the pork belly, which apparently is their speciality, was to say the least mediocre.

Overall the experience affirmed my previous experience and resolve not to ever go to this establishment again. The price attached to bad service and roadhouse food was amazing to say the least.

In the interests of being fair to the restaurant, I will end my review as I can find nothing positive to say about a pretty dismal experience. Quite a downer!

My only advice, don't even think about it. PASS THIS ONE,