“We Kneaded to Visit Agai”
Review of Mon Petit Pain - CLOSED

Mon Petit Pain
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Sister restaurant to Ile De Pain. One of the most popular breakfast spots in town!
Reviewed May 20, 2014

We make Mon Petit Pain (or its sister , Isle de Pain on Thesen Island) one of our obligatory stops when traveling the Garden Route. We have yet to be disappointed. They have maintained very high standards and this trip we found that they had moved to bigger premises. The pastries and small cakes/confectionery are superb, always fresh and the artisan breads are made each morning. Our disappointment was that their Companje bread was sold out by 12h00. We enjoyed chicken mayonnaise sandwich on their oat bread, complemented by a great coffee.

Reviewed May 17, 2014

Being Knysna regulars we always ate at their sister restaurant. Unfortunately Ile de Pain was closed for a month so our hotel suggested we eat here. Hindsight is 20/20 and I wish we hadn't taken our hotel's advice. It was a monumental disappointment. The welcome was good and we could choose our table. We had our 2 year old with us so we choose a table right in the corner on the veranda with a little space between ourselves and others. My wife went inside to order. A simple order, 2 items straight off their breakfast menu and a plate of 2 portions (4 rashers) of bacon for the little guy. The first hint of trouble came when my elaborate French toast arrived first, yes, before the 4 rashers of bacon. Then my wife's scrambled eggs and bacon arrived, cold. Still no bacon for the little guy and we were feeding him from my plate. He is allergic to eggs so he couldn't eat the bacon off my wife's plate. My wife went to inquire as to where his bacon was. This made her breakfast even colder than it was when it arrived. The waitress came out to our table to tell us that his portion of bacon was on my plate with the French toast. This is where this establishment just lost any and all credibility. Why? Because this was a blatant lie. Either that or their wait staff desperately require training on their own menu. The French toast reads "French toast with caramel and bacon". I've been there once and I can repeat it, but our waitress didn't know the French toast breakfast came with bacon. Not only that but my wife ordered 2 portions of bacon, 4 rashers. There is only one portion, 2 rashers, with the French toast breakfast. We both then insist on her delivering what we ordered for our son. Too many minutes later (how long does it take to take 4 rashers of bacon out of the queue for a toddler who is waiting to eat?) only half our order arrives. Yes, after all this, our waitress still only brings us 1 portion, 2 rashers, of bacon. Well we told her to forget trying to get our order right, we would finish eating and leave. We get to the till and guess what? They have put 3 portions of bacon on our bill, plus my French toast and my wife's eggs & bacon. It was at this time that I decided it would be better for my blood pressure if I took my son's hand any quickly left this restaurant. My wife informed the cashier of the problem with the bill, and that we would not be returning. The problem with the bill was corrected, but what we were quite surprised at was the complete and utter lack of an apology. With a clutch of breakfast spots in Knysna we can afford to go elsewhere. The Island Cafe at the Turbine Hotel on Thesen Island is one such place and this morning restored our faith in decent service at breakfast time.

Reviewed May 15, 2014

Found Mon Petit Pain by accident to be honest as it just happened to be close to where I parked one day. Damn good coffee and the snacks are really nice. You can understand why it has become so popular in such a short time.

I am not sure if there order/service method is to my liking or not but I always got what I ordered so the method works - but hmmm I'm just not sure.

Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

A great place to stop and get good coffee, fresh breads, scrumptious salads, lovely cakes & sit and relax the morning away. The bread is fresh, the menu is small but what they offer, they do well. We used their address on Trip Advisor to get there but they have moved just around the corner so beware when relying on those directions. Would recommend to go & be sure to try the lemon meringue, it's goooood!

Reviewed April 12, 2014

As well as Ile de Pain.....a lovely place to have nice food in a good atmosphere. It feels French with a Californian touch. We especially stop at Knysna to have food at these to places.