“Superb Hotel with a Great Location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Rex Hotel

The Rex Hotel
Ranked #13 of 30 Hotels in Knysna
Medford, New Jersey
“Superb Hotel with a Great Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

We stayed at The Rex for 2 nights; it is a small timeshare hotel. We nearly gasped at the beautiful "apartment size" rooms that included a living room, kitchen, bedroom and bathtub AND shower. Everything was meticulously clean and shiny and tastefully decorated. We even had an outside deck! On the downside, the bedroom was small, but that would be my only negative. Amenities included hairdryer, in-room safe, flat screen TV in the living room, and robes - hanging in the closet waiting for you. There aren't any internet stations, but you could use the "front desk" internet if needed. We ate breakfast in their restaurant and the food was great. Service was a little slow, but they were very busy. Great coffee! The hotel is just about a block from the waterfront; take the time and go there to visit the shoppes and restaurants with great food. While you're in Knysna, don't miss going to the Featherbed Nature Reserve. Walk down the trail from the top of the mountain and see the sea caves - amazing!!! I definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I understand from other travelers that some of the rooms are smaller than what we stayed in. Guess...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Masuda M, General Manager at The Rex Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Dear Hilthd2000,

We would like to thank you for visiting us as well as sharing your lovely experience on Trip Advisor. We hope that you visit Knysna again in the not too distant future, as it would be a pleasure to welcome you back to The Rex Hotel.

Regards,
Masuda Mohamed

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Arabic first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

We stayed only 1 night in one of the 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom apartments and wish we could have stayed longer. The décor was clean, simple, and elegant, and bedrooms and bathrooms well-appointed. The bed and linens were very luxurious and comfortable! Based on other reviews on this site, it appears we definitely got one of the much nicer rooms. Breakfast was also quite good, served in the café downstairs of the hotel. Location was perfect, as one block walk from the waterfront and near several shops and cafes.

Room Tip: we had a 2-bedroom apartment which seems to be one of the more luxurious rooms at the hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Masuda M, General Manager at The Rex Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Sarah o,

Many thanks for your feedback and recommendations on Tripadvisor. We strive for guest comfort and a good night’s sleep, and I am glad we achieved this for you.

Our hotel is indeed situated most conveniently from the Waterfront. We hope you will visit us again on your travels through the special place that Knysna is.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

Firstly, I need to point out that there are a number of comments about the room sizes at the Rex and ours was on the small side. However, we were only staying for one night and as such didn't really care. It would appear that there are basic small rooms and suites available, if staying for a while I'd recommend getting a larger room.

Overall, the Rex was clean and comfortable, we certainly had a good nights sleep although he air conditioning was a bit freaky and made quite a bit of noise. Bathroom was small and only had a shower and we didn't seem to have any provided toiletries (lucky we had our own)

It does have it's own car park, which is a big plus in the area and feels secure as well. The lift to get to it can be quirky and I'd recommend stairs as a safe option. Despite the desk clerk insisting on showing us a key card worked (pretty obvious) they didn't always and it took several attempts to get one that did on the morning of our departure.

Breakfast was great and plentiful, with the weather being hot it was nice to sit outside and enjoy the morning sunshine. I would imagine it to be more of a challenge in the winter but still a great atmosphere overall.

Overall the Rex has the potential to be a great boutique hotel, but it's let down by just a few finishing touches like noisy air con and no toiletries etc. Almost a great stay but in the end average. But if you're looking for a one night stopover in the area, it would suit fine.

Room Tip: It's OK but not spectacular. If staying for a longer period get a suite.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Stuart_Goble,

Thank you for your review on trip advisor and we value your comments.

My sincere apologies for the noise of the air conditioner and the lack of toiletries. While I can’t remedy this for you after the fact, I can assure you that I have taken it up with the relevant departments.

As for The Rex Hotel, I can assure you that we will try our best and work hard towards being the best boutique hotel in Knysna. Your feedback certainly helps us with this.

São Paulo, SP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

very nice hotel in Knysna, 1 block distance from the Waterfront with many restaurant and stores. Also in the same building there are lots of stores. You could park your car in the parking lot for free (underground out of the sun) and go walking around the region, even at night its very safe. The hotel offers bicycles if you like to take a ride.
one downside of the hotel is the breakfast - if you arrive early in the morning to take the 1st round is okay, otherwise you will get only the rests and very bad service.

Room Tip: no mini-fridge in the room - just a kettle for tea. It would be nice to have a mini-bar with cold wa...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PaoloBoscolo
Dear PaoloBoscolo,

I am happy to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us and enjoyed our proximity to the Waterfront. I regret that the breakfast disappointed you and have taken this up with my team, as it is not the quality of service we like to give or the impression we would like to create. Thank you for your review and I hope to welcome you back.

Tunis, Tunisia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at The Rex Hotel on NY Eve on our way along the garden route. It was very pleasant, clean and quite luxurious. I loved the decor. The service was excellent, even when the water mains outside the hotel were turned off. Would recommend to all.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Itait5262,

Many thanks for taking the time to complete a review on trip advisor. We value all comments received and appreciate your compliments.

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back on future visits to Knysna.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

We are a family with three kids and we stayed here in December 2013 and there were numerous problems. There was a terrible, smell coming from the shower and the water pressure in the shower was dismal. The wi-fi was 'complementary' but could never connect properly and so did not work. Left a bag of washing consisting of a couple of T/shirts and kids clothes, and was charged a whopping $150 (R1500), who in their right mind would agree to that? Not happy...

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Michelle S
Masuda M, General Manager at The Rex Hotel, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear Michelle S,

Thank you for your comment on Tripadvisor. Your review of our hotel is of great concern to me and I am really sorry that you left us with this impression of our service and facilities. The wi-fi has been tested and seems to be working perfectly. Plenty of times it’s the guests devise that needs to be programmed. With regards to the laundry, guests are given laundry slips to complete when sending in laundry and the prices are clearly indicated on the slips.

While it is difficult to try to make amends after the fact, I do hope that you will consider staying with us again, as we would like to prove that we are just as good as the rest of the unique “Knysna” experience.

Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

The issues were various, let's try and list them:
1) Our room was not properly prepared. There was supposed to be an additional bed in our room and three bath towels. None of these were there. When I enquired at reception I was told that I have to pay for that. I was surprised and asked why (as I have already paid for it during the booking). The manager (an indian lady) then came and said we can have the bed, but will have to pay for an additional breakfast. I then said to her please get my booking so that we can see why I have to pay twice for something. After a brief argument she eventually pulled out my booking just to find out that I have paid for it. The bed was then brought to the room, but no additional towel was provided for my son. We had to go and ask for the towel again.
2) On the 27th of December our room was not cleaned by 4pm and we had to go and ask at reception in order to get the room cleaned. That was then eventually done at around 16h30.
3) The restaurant where we enjoyed breakfast was terrible. On the morning of the 28th of December we waited for coffee until our breakfast was finished. We eventually left without having coffee.
4) On the morning of the 28th of December our room phone rang at 7am. Waking us up too early. We don't know what the purpose of this "wake up call" was. We can only suspect that it was to ensure that we are out of the room by 10am.

We will never stay in this hotel again and will advise all our acquaintances to do the same.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Philip H
Masuda M, General Manager at The Rex Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Mr Hoffman

I hope that our correspondence outside of the Tripadvisor forum has sufficiently addressed the issues you experienced during your stay with us.

As you have accepted a complimentary voucher, I do hope to welcome you back to The Rex Hotel in future. We would love the opportunity to change your perception of our hotel.

Masuda and staff