“Wonderful hotel in amazing location.”
Review of The Rex Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Rex Hotel
Ranked #11 of 30 Hotels in Knysna
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Our stay at the hotel started very well, since while checking in, we were upgraded to a better room, which was very spacious, clean, beautifully decorated, and had a small kitchen with all the amenities you might need to prepare your breakfast or dinner. Me and my wife had dinner at Valentine’s Day in the room tasting a delicious South African wine. Breakfast is not included, as although it’s name is Rex Hotel, it’s like an apartment or a vacation rental rather than an hotel. Location is the best, a few steps from waterfront, as well as from many restaurants. The only downside is that they don't provide free wireless. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Threecities, General Manager at The Rex Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Dear Mr Marcelo,

Thank you for completing a review. We value all comments received.

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us. It was only a pleasure to have been able to upgrade you to a luxury suite. With regards to the wifi, we are currently in the process of sourcing an alternative supplier.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Rex Hotel in the not too distant future.

Yours Sincerely,
Masuda Mohamed

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Stayed for two nights and cant complain about the hotel other than it was quiet and had no restaurant in the evening on site but with so many close by not an issue

check in was fast and curteous, our room was upgraded to a half suite with a switting area which was nice to sit ad relax in the evenings, room had large balcony but no seating which is odd.

Location was good being two minute walk from the waterfront, good value for money and would recommend to others without having to think too much about it

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I am currently at the Rex, I checked in with my Grand Circle group last night. Our group of 35 received luxury rooms, mainly 2 room suites. I walked in to room 109 and was horrified! The carpets were in poor condition (heavily stained), the lamp shades were also heavily stained, and the only countertop available was covered with coffee stains. This room was barely big enough to fit the two twin beds that were pushed together. I paid the same amount for my trip as the others in my group, why did I receive a room in such poor shape? My tour director hinted that since I am a first time traveller with GCT I was not entitled to a better room. I even tried to get GCT to place me in another hotel, no luck. I hope Roger Chulow (Regional General Manager - Africa) sees this review. He should be ashamed that one of his customers has been treated so poorly. Not a good introduction for me as a consumer to a travel company that relies on word-of-mouth referrals.

Room Tip: Refuse to accept room 109
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Mark H
Masuda M, General Manager at The Rex Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2016

Dear Guest,

My apologies for the room you received. Unfortunately room allocations are done as per availability. I am happy to advise that we have attended to all your comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Kind Regards,
Masuda

Reviewed April 29, 2013

We booked a suite as we were staying for three nights from Monday 15th April and really appreciated the extra space. Our well appopinted suite looked on to the atrium and was very quiet. The hotel is well sited just two blocks from the Waterfront and safe to walk to in the evening for restaurants, boat trips etc. The bed was very comfortable, great bathrooms, comfy sofa for watching television and breakfast was available in the Rose Cafe each morning - we did not use the kitchen facilities with so many restaurants nearby! The staff were also very welcoming and helpful. Would definitely stay again if/when we return to South Africa.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2013

This Apt hotel is one of the best I ever stayed in not only in South Africa but most of the places I went to
I stayed in two bedroom apt. and it was huge and decorated great, Beds were comfortable and the room is cleaned daily
the hotel breakfast was nice and you need to try the pancakes
over all the hotel is great and I really recommend it

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Value for money, ultra modern with open bathrooms, mood lighting and great service. as the pictures show the room is very modernly decorated. we rented a 2 bedroom apartment for 6 nights. were were two adults with two teenaged children. please do use this resort and their sister properties. aha.com. they are value for money.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised when we were taken to our room to see that it was actually a full suite! There was a full kitchen and living room, and it reminded us more of a condo than a hotel room. I enjoyed the full bathtub as well. The location couldn't have been better, and it was just a short walk to the harbor. We also appreciated the parking right at the hotel, and the hotel was a great anchor location for us to explore the surrounding area.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple