aha The Rex Hotel
Conrad Pezula(Knysna)
$141
$94
Priceline
The Russel Hotel(Knysna)(Great Value!)
$65
$39
Agoda.com
$231
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewsrose cafeluxury studiotwo blocksknysna waterfrontmodern hotelwalking distancebuilding siteglass doorbedroom apartmentother hotelsbuilding workbuffet breakfastwalk in showerwater frontstayed here for nightssmall kitchenfull kitchen
Reviewed May 10, 2012

Having served in hotel management for a Hilton & Towers and having stayed in some of the finest hotels in Italy, France, Switzerland, South Korea, Malaysia, the Philippines while on business, I tend to be skeptical and picky when traveling. Based on the photos and the other positive reviews I read for The Rex, my expectations were somewhat high as I planned my 4-day business/romantic getaway trip with my wife. Let me just say, we were NOT disappointed. Aside from the odd location/design of the reception area, we were greeted professionally/warmly. We were immediately escorted to our luxury apartment where we were also educated on all amenities of the room. Everything was spacious, incredibly clean, nicely decorated with a modern motif, and just brilliant. From the heated towel racks, the in-room DVD and surround sound system, the two air-con/heaters, the luxurious bed, the beautiful view, and the quietness of the rooms, everything was top-notch. The staff were quick and courteous...the servicing of the rooms in the morning and the turn-down at night was just right...the included full breakfast was superb...and we were relaxed beyond words throughout our stay. Not a single problem, concern, or disappointment. After seeing some of the hotel and B&B offerings around Knysna, I believe I can honestly say one is unlikely to find a place elsewhere to deliver the same calibre of a TOTAL package in Kysna. This was a 23rd anniversary getaway for my wife and I...and perhaps, the best one of them all. Thank you Rex staff and management!!

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank J S
Reviewed May 7, 2012

The hotel is beautiful and has all the comforts of modern day living. The apartment has a little kitchenette,fully equiped, a lovely dining area and open plan lounge,all interleading. The bedroom with ensuite is seperate. Shower was lovely. Bed linen beautiful and crisp. Very comfortable.

The only snag was the hotel does not provide its guests with free WiFi. You have to buy a voucher about R65 per hour, which I thought was a bit too pricey. I had to go to the Turbine hotel not far off to have lunch and use their WiFi.

The Rex also does not have its kitchen ready, so I was given a voucher for breakfast for every day I was there. I chose 3 different restaurant options to have breakfast and the best was an Italian restaurant at the Knysna Waterfront.

I also found that the Rex,as much as it is beautiful, did not have conveniences in place for the customer eg, the lift from the car park comes up to an open space outside the reception door. I got wet in the rain, and so did my luggage when I stepped out the lift.

Overall I enjoyed my stay here.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 7, 2012

We stayed at the Rex for 2nights when visiting the garden route in a family room / apartment. It is in a great spot near the centre of Knysna with everything in walking distance. The rooms are spacious, clean and modern. The only strange things are the internal windows to the corridor which mean that the rooms are quite light at night as there are no blinds.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 14, 2012

We had originally booked accommodation in Knysna at another apartment complex down the road from the Rex. The accommodation we had booked was terrible, the following morning we went for a walk and by accident we came across the Rex. We decided to immediately book accommodation after the receptionist had shown us some of the rooms at the Rex. I only wish we had booked to stay here longer. It was so nice.

We had an interconnecting room as my partner and I were travelling with my mom. We had a kitchenette and lounge area in our room and my mom had her own room and bathroom. The only downside was that my mom did not have a shower in her room only a bath. The way in which the hotel was decorated was so funky and really made you feel like you were in Africa.
The price of the hotel was reasonable considering the size and location of the complex. It is very central and has a great café downstairs. They had some divine pastries and coffee there.

From here we went to Knysna Elephant Sanctuary, walked up to the top of Knysna Heads, just below the heads there is a lovely restaurant where we had lunch, I would recommend it.
We went to the Radical Raptors Show, Buffalo beach and there were some farmers markets with fresh produce on the Saturday.

All in all a great stay at the Rex and I would go back there should we find ourselves in Africa again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank LS_06
Reviewed March 5, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights on a drive from Addo to Capetown. We had a "Luxury Studio" which was spacious with a sitting area with a sofa bed and a kitchenette/dining area.
The Rex is a 2 minute walk to the shops and restaurants on the waterfront and is a good base for the Garden Route.
There is no in house restaurant at present but you get breakfast vouchers for 4 local places. We used Mon Petit Pain which is in the same complex and which has great breakfasts - we particularly liked the muesli (which came with fruit) and the croissants.
A good place to stay and good value.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple