“Terrific location to view the scenery”
Review of Senza Knysna - CLOSED

Senza Knysna
Cuisines: Italian, Fusion
Good for: Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We ate on the patio! Our food and the service wasn't the greatest but the incredible view of Knysna Heads at their bottom was worth the visit to this restaurant. The restaurant was busy and some of the orders the waiters were bringing out looked good and worth a try if we vacation in South Africa again.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

We have been coming to Knysna for many years & this restaurant has changed hands many times.The guest house recommended we try it again.One of the previous reviews stated this is a tourist trap & sad to say i must agree.
The new decor looks great , the waitress was effecient & friendly but the prices & quality of food was poor. We ordered , oysters (R135)- they were small for this price & mussels starter - the mussels were floury not great tasting either , Prawn pasta ( R150!) , overpriced &the prawns were not cleaned properly & the meal was tasteless. We dine out often & live in Cape Town & comparitively this was not good.To mention a person wearing what looked like a tracksuit , with unkempt hair entered from the kitchen & introduced himself as the part owner.The waitress mentioned that it was the chef , but i wondered about the hygiene standards in the kitchen if the chef had no uniform or head covering? The menu was also not great.

3  Thank Tami G
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Located at the Heads at Knysna the impact of the location is immediate. We dine on a Tuesday night with no booking. I am surprised to see quite a few dining groups and couples within the body of the restaurant.
A fire burns in the front bar section with the majority of the diners located in the narrow mid passage area taking advantage of the warmth.
Our group of four decides to move down further into the larger over sea section. No fire, but management does it's best to boost the vibe with music and mood lighting.
As a new manager has taken over the reins over a month ago (at time of visit) he is instigating changes in the food choices and the wine offerings.

Being by the ocean my lady and I decide on seafood.
A dozen fresh oysters - yes
Leoni - Spaghetti Gamberi - prawns
Me - Seafood Stew
Both generous serves and delicious
Our traveling companions select
FOD - Kingclip
Veal Limone
Both meals were enjoyed
The wine selected was superb, a Vertex Shiraz - smooth full and round for a 2011.
There is a great selection of wines made in South Africa for commercial consumption ie. shorter shelf life, with this wine a prime example.
Source: Cellar/ bottle shop owner in Observation, Cape Town. In interesting conversation regarding SA wines.

Good service, attentive management combined with a great location.
Highly recommended.h

Reviewed June 1, 2014

We were recommended to a couple of restaurants in Knysna (Senza was not mentioned) all the recommended restaurants however were closed for their winter break and that is how we came to find Senza. Initially we couldn't understand why no one had recommended it to us as it looked like a lovely restaurant and the views of the heads are spectacular as the restaurant is literally on the beach. However after having had lunch there we now understand why. We ordered wine which was listed under their special wine collection - it was a red. The waiter returned to the table a wee while later to say that they did not have the wine however he can recommend a sauvignon blanc???? What how did we go from a red wine to a sauvignon blanc? We then chose another wine which once again they did not have - the waiter explained that they only had the 1 wine available under the list of the special wines. The wine list was very limited with a poor selection of wines at ridiculous prices. I was forced due to lack of selection and stock to then order a wooded chardonnay which I can say is not my favourite. Food was nothing to write home about. I had mussels which were ok, I still cant work out if they were previously frozen or not. For mains my partner had veal, it was served with a lemon caper sauce. No capers to be found and it was more like lemon with veal than veal with lemon. The lemon was very overpowering and far too much - all in all terrible. I had pasta which too was not great. Service was ok. Management slack. The one waiter was wearing slippers??? Don't be fooled by the view and if you feel you really would like to sit there for the spectacular view I highly suggest that you perhaps just have a beer - im sure you cant go wrong with that.

3  Thank Braegha
Reviewed May 25, 2014

We ate there on a Sunday for lunch on the recommendation of our guest lodge as I wanted to eat somewhere which had duck on the menu. Duck was very nice but my husband had the hake and chips and said it was just OK. Restaurant has a fantastic view of the heads but seems a little rundown. No problem with service. Overall, not really good enough for us to want to eat there again.

1  Thank Ann C