“Best meal during our holiday!”
Review of Firefly Eating House - CLOSED

Firefly Eating House
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed November 21, 2010

We had a great evening at the Firefly Eating House. The ambience was great, the staff were attentive and the food was fabulous. If you like spicy food then you have to visit Firefly. The menu was perfect in that there was enough choice of starters and mains. There was also some lovely wines/cocktails to be consumed! I just wish there was a firefly in Manchester as I'd be there every weekend! It's a litle out of the way from the Quays and the main street but you must definitely try whilst in Knysna

1  Thank Dalym

Reviewed June 9, 2010

We did go to the firefly because of a recommendation at the Amanzilodge and we had a wonderful evening. It is a bit hidden so be sure to get the directions (we were there then there was a huge road work at the main road) and it has a lot of small separate dining areas. It is non smoking and the furniture is a bit uncommon. We had the most plush restaurant seats I can remember so it was extremely comfortable.
We started with some surprising cocktails (we did not look at the winelist we stayed with beer for the food) and tried all the starters between the two of us (the menu is refreshingly short) which all of them were well flavoured and cooked to perfection. The composition was original as well as good. They do have a system of numbers (1-10) to tell you how hot everything is and I tried a 6 dish which was again very tasty with just the right hotness. My girlfriend hat a very savoury 2 dish. All offerings were very rich in the seasoning and the amount of food was mre than enough to satisfy us (we are good and tasty eaters). With the fresh ingredients used and a wonderfully helpful and attentive staff (some minor mistakes were taken care of in a very humoristic way) we had a wonderful evening and as far as indian food goes this was the best I had in SA.
So if you are in for a little bit adventurous food which is perfectly cooked and will give you something to remember in an intimate stetting this is the place for you. One minor downside is the music they played from speakers.
A durch couple sat next to us and the husband had the hottest dish on the menu... let me put it this way: Hot means hot in the restaurant.

1  Thank Florian254
Reviewed May 14, 2010

Second visit to the firefly (once many years ago) and was great. The host (cannot remember his name!) was very attentive but not pushy and had a good knowledge of the menu etc. Food was tasty, beautifully presented and appreciate the thought of the amuse bouche. Try their chocolate infused tea...delish!
ONLY concern is that they do not allow corkage, but everything else was fantastic.

1  Thank jacks101
Reviewed April 13, 2010

This is away from the main waterfront and so i imagine not well knows to travellers but its so worth finding. the house itself is very old and painted red and fun. the food was out of this world and the staff were very good and attentive. the chef came out to talk and give a background and I can't tell you how much we enjoyed eating here. I wish I could go back but I'm in Ireland. It is a must eat in place in South Africa. They also do amazing Teas and cocktails.

1  Thank Geldorfia
Reviewed March 24, 2010

The restaurant is located on the outskirts on Knysna and in what appears on the face of it to be a red painted corrugated shack. Do not be deterred by this in any way shape or form. If you are a connoisseur of spicy and interesting foods, then this place is a “must do”. The food is extremely flavoursome and is well presented. There are many interesting and exotic flavours to choose from at a reasonable price. The owners have a particular passion for mixing exotic spices and flavours and regularly travel to update their repertoire of recipes. It fully lived up to the expectations that we had from reading other trip advisor comments. Sadly it is a little far from the UK to order a take away, otherwise we would order from here at least once a week.

1  Thank Stonefox