“Peaceful”

Free wifi
Tv & sitting area
Kitchen area
Friendly/Helpful staff
Close to shops & walking distance to the waterfront
Not a great deal to do in the town other than eat in nice restaurants

A place to relax! :)

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Munich, Germany
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Knysna Backpackers is beautifully located not far from the center and the lagoon of Knysna. From the terrace, you have an amazing view over the lagoon. But the best was certainly the staff, in particular the owner, who was one of the most helpful people I've ever met in South Africa. She soughted out some problems we had with a laundry service and gave excellent tips on what to do in the city. If you can, try to cycle to Leisure Island and the Heads instead of going there by car.
Besides, the hostel provides free breakfast and wifi, which was definitely a plus. One of the nicest hostel we stayed at in South Africa!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Owning a backpackers ourselves it is nice to be on the other side of the counter sometimes and observe what is going on.
Being in this home and meeting staff and owners, we could not have felt more at home and relaxed. Good balance between price and accommodation, service.
Nothing is 100% perfect . If something would bother me too much I would talk to the owner and then you often find out the reason why something is done or not.
Concerning us, Knysna Backpackers is definetely a place to recommend to the mature, peaceful traveller who enjoys a homey atmosphere.

Chris and Rita, Belgium

Room Tip: No place for party people!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Innsbruck, Austria
Reviewed November 6, 2012

This house is small but beautiful! Located in a calm area it provides absolutely clean rooms in an victorian-styled building, super showers, the best BP-breakfast in the world (included) and free Wifi. The stuff is amazing, helpfull, friendly. Sitting on the sofa there, I felt a little bit like at home.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a world heritage building and is very good for large groups. We were a group of 16 adults stayed in 2 private bedrooms, 2 double bedrooms and a drom of 6 beds. The place is clean. Kitchen is fully equipped. Very near to beaches, restaurants and pubs. All in all a very good accomodation.

Room Tip: Private bedroom with attached bathroom is the best room in this establishment.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Cape Town
Reviewed September 5, 2012

After staying here for 2 nights I was told I'm not getting my R100 deposit back because I slept in another room without their permission. There were only 3 guests in the entire backpackers on my second night and all 3 of us slept in the same room, guaranteed. I did not even open the door to another room. The reception guy continued to accuse me with 'cmon, just be honest!' He already made up his mind that I was the cuplrit and all this in front of other guests. The only 3 guests in the backpackers slept together in the same room - that's a fact. My actual issue is the fact that a fourth person freely entered the backpackers and slept in one of their beds without them knowing - that's not very comforting to know. Needless to say, I won't be booking myself or any of my guests in here again. I'm an easy guy and wouldn't be looking for luxuries or 5 star service in a backpackers, but this was unacceptable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
KnysnaQueen, Owner at Knysna Backpackers, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Hi Pieter
I regret to have learned about your "bad" experience here with us.
I have heard the OTHER side to the story and there seems to be quite a few discrepencies between the two sides of the story. I was assured that you were refunded your deposit ( there was a witness to this being done) and only you will know for sure ...where you actually slept the seconde night??? ( in the dorm as you were booked in or if you decided to upgrade yourself to a private room ). I can assure you that our guests are the only people that can access the hostel as they are issued with keys and our front door lock gets changed twice a month for safety. There were only 3 guests that night and the other two did sleep where they booked - in the dorm, so logically that only left you........ if you wanted to sleep in a private room we would have gladly assisted you .
Muriel ( owner)

private
Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

First backpackers I have been to and they have converted me to looking at backpackers for future travels. Affordable, yet clean and a service full of smiles. Cute old house with awesome view and located do that many activities, restaurants and bars are within walking distance! If out is an option for accommodation I suggest taking it.

• Stayed August 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Knysna
The Russel Hotel
#30 of 103 in Knysna
Albergo for Backpackers
Albergo for Backpackers
#15 of 68 in Plettenberg Bay

Been to Knysna Backpackers? Share your experiences!