“Perfect Perfect Perfect”
Review of The Alexander

The Alexander
Ranked #3 of 127 Knysna B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We travel often and have stayed in many hotels, country lodges etc and The Alexander is definately in our TOP 3. I have not come accross the attention to detail, Wayne has clearly thought about everything. Exquisitely decorated!! Planned for 1 night and stayed for 3.

Room Tip: Honeymoon Suite is beatiful and private, but I also loved the Pilot suite!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Alexander

Reviewed August 30, 2012

We stayed at The Alexander on a Gardern Route tour. It was far better then we could have expected, the stay started with warm welcome and great glass of wine and then got better with an amazing view and outstanding room. Good location, great hosts, over the top breakfast, loved every minute.

Room Tip: Looks like every room has a good view, but it seems like the top floors have the best
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2012

The Alexander truly is a beautiful establishment with great service and breathtaking views ! We had the pleasure of enjoying the winter discounts on offer and stayed in the Royal Honeymoon Suite for 3 days ! Amazing views from the most comfortable bed ever !

Staff are great and we'll be back !

H.H.Weight

Room Tip: All rooms are great !
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stayed for two nights during the Oyster festival in July. The rooms are beautifully decorated, the breakfast is good,with excellent views and the service was friendly. We had some trouble with hot water and the DSTV which did not bother us. The host sorted out the situation with the hot water and even gave us discount when we checked out (which we did not expect) . In my view this is excellent value for money and great hospitality. I would certainly recommend the Alexander !

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We can be classified as world travelers to all continents of the world and knowing what we want, choosing the Alexander House in Knysna was pretty easy. Why, well, absolute homely atmoshere, personal attention, delightful decoration in the rooms, excellent choice of breakfast and constant paying of attention to personal needs. Wayne and Team will certainly cater to all traveler needs, foreigner or local nationality. During our stay, a guest encountered a small problem but despite being offerred alternatives from the Host,could not be satisfied, maybe due to the lack of world travel experience..We personally recommend the Alexander House to all foreign or local travelers seeking the personal touch. Wish we could stay longer and well done to Wayne and Team.

Room Tip: Captains suite, Pilots view or when on honeymoon, The Honeymoon Suite
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My wife and i stayed at the The Alexander on 7 July on the way back to East London from Cape Town. I wanted to spoil her as it was our 1st anniversary 5days before so booked her into a 5 STAR,
Place is nice and we were welcomed in by the caretaker who was very helpful at about 5PM after which we left as it was the oyster fest and we wanted to drive around and see what was going on!
On Arriving back at The Alexander we noticed under floor heating was still not working as we switched it on before we went out and phoned Wayne the owner who said give it a bit longer to warm up at about 9 we decided to bath only to find no hot water!so I phoned Wayne the owner again who said he will come look. He told me hot water was on timers and heated floor not working,but his attitude was despicable, he was condescending, cocky and very rude,he said we can bath in another room or wait till 2am as there will be hot water then!as he walked out the room mumbling rude words under his breath, I turned around to find my wife in tears, this was now at 10pm we were so offended by the owner Wayne that we decided to leave and drive the 6 hours home to El!So we phoned him and informed him of our decision to leave to which we got the reply “OK” WOW THAT IS HOSPITALITY AT ITS BEST!
Just wanted to share my experience cause I though we would have a great time there seeing pics of place and it being a 5 STAR! But we warned about the owner who does not treat this guest well when there are some complaints

Room Tip: Think Twice
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank K D
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Dear All,

I fully agree to this review in the sense of the underfloor heating not warming up, and the water being warm and not hot at 21h15 in the evening. Due to the house having 6 geysers they are on timers and regulated to save energy.

I won't be acused like i have just been by this couple.

We had a couple in the same room for 4 nights prior to the new guests arriving and all was working well and no complaints were received.

I was called about the matter in the evening in which i explained to have it checked out first thing n the morning and repaired. I went on to offer the couple a new room, Which he turned down.I then offered them the use of the bathroom in the other room as he complained so much about moving.
I'm sorry but this couple was not interested in what i had to say or what i had to offer in order to make there stay more pleasureable. The guest carried on to slander the guest house and myself personally.

I tried every which way to make them happy, and there was nothing more i could do for them. There were no tears that i saw, but just her sitting rolling her eyes on the bed at everything i suggested and offered to them.

I called down to the room on two occassions to make sure that they were happy and to offer to comp their room for them due to the problems that occured. My calls were refused and not answered.

I never mumbled but spoke in a clear manner. I also don't fabricate my stories.

My staff and i were treated badly from the moment of check in.

I have never in my 5 years of owning this beatifull establishment, ever met a guest with such bad attitude and ungratefullness.

Our volumes speak for themselves. Myself and my team have a very high standard of making our guests stay the most pleasurable and memorable one.

I am really terribly sorry that they wouldn't reason with me

Wayne Alexander
Owner

Reviewed May 16, 2012

We spent 2 nights at The Alexander in their Pilot Penthouse. The location is spectacular (facing the Knysna heads, with unobstructed views). The guest house is lusciously furnished and you feel like you're at home (if you could have a home like this!). Upon arrival we were given a complimentary drink and show around the property.
All the staff were very helpful and pleasant, always with a smile. The Penthouse has a deck with your own heated pool, and since it's at the top of the property, the greatest views of all. There is a great honor bar, and you can relax in the lounge or out on the deck or communal pool or jacuzzi.
They offer a shuttle service into town (and elsewhere, I'm sure) and Cedric our driver/guide was great. He recommended great places to eat, and the best local pub to watch the rugby in. He was always just 10 minutes away when we called for a pick up.
We had one issue while staying there: the first morning we had no hot water. We called reception and they immediately got us access to an empty room to shower, etc. Wayne (the owner) called to apologize and made sure we were OK. While we were having breakfast they already had a local electrician on the case (this on a Saturday!), and had it fixed that morning. The next morning Cedric made sure to check if we had hot water, etc. Very thoughtful.
Breakfast is a lavish affair with everything you can imagine, including a made to order hot cooked option. All the time served by smiling and friendly staff who take the time to know your name.
Couldn't recommend this property more. Next time we're in Knysna, that's the only place we'll stay!

Room Tip: All rooms seemed great and all have views. The Penthouse and the Captains Suite share the top floor...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple