“A highlight of our honeymoon”
Review of The Olive Tree

The Olive Tree
Ranked #5 of 163 Restaurants in Knysna
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Olive Tree Restaurant Trading hours; Dinners only, Monday to Saturdays in Season> from 6.30pm till kitchen close at 9pm.
London, United Kingdom
“A highlight of our honeymoon”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Without doubt one of the best meal's my (new) wife and I have ever had. It's actually taken me quite some time to get around to writing this review so I can't quite remember everything we both had, but I remember the highlights. Going with the recommendation of pretty much everyone in Knysna, we had the Bobotie Spring Rolls to start - beautiful as expected after hearing such good things about them. My wife had what she described as the best steak she's ever had, and she's quite the steak connoisseur. I had a chicken dish which is rare for me as I always say chicken dishes in restaurants are often decent enough or "safe", but never blow me away - well this was the exception, absolutely stunning. Couldn't fault the service also - excellent descriptions of the menu items (from the owner I think), then attentive and friendly thereafter.

We love South Africa so will definitely be back and if we pass through Knysna we will definitely be returning to The Olive Tree.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank Paski42

• Arabic first
South Africa
“Hearty food”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

The olive tree is a great little place. The atmosphere is warm and welcoming, the service is attentive and friendly and the food is tasty and satisfyingly hearty. The menu is displayed on a black board as it changes depending on the produce available. The bobotie spring rolls were the best i have tasted and the prawn and chicken curry was very flavourful. I will be back!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank ReneSol
Portland, Oregon
“Tasty dinner with great service”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We had a great dinner at the Olive Tree. The restaurant featured Italian inspired dishes, with skillfully combined flavors and house made pastas. The service was great; the owner was especially accommodating and sweet with my sons.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Christine T
Knysna, Western Cape, South Africa
“One of Knysna's finest!”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I've often heard that The Olive Tree was one of Knysna's finest restaurants, but I never had an opportunity to sample its offerings until recently.
On a blistery cold evening, my wife and I had reason for celebration and decided to seek out a cosy place for a good meal. The Olive Tree was our choice after a very friendly and inviting phone call to the owner.
We duly arrived wet and cold from the stormy night - and were warmly welcomed into the inviting and cosy eatery. And as luck would have it, met some of our best friends and ended with a large table, So we were able to sample and try lots of different items off the menu.
The menu is a small chalk board and included fillet (for which they are famous), which some of our part ordered and declared to be some of the best fillet ever tasted. One person ordered a vegetarian bake which was an interesting assortment of grilled and baked vegetables - well presented and tasty. My partner and I ordered a very tasty prawn curry with Basmati rice and sambals. Truly a marvelous main course. Deserts were a highly recommended cheese cake - and we were not disappointed. In one word: superb!
We had Arabella wine with the meal - which seemed a little pricy - about twice the price I would pay for the same bottle at the store.
Not a cheap night out - most main course meals were R125 plus (Vegetarian was R95).
However - a wonderful night out, faultless and tasty food, an attentive but not intrusive hostess and overall one of my best dining experiences in the Garden Route. I will be back!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank LexFaure
Sao Paulo, Brazil
“Cozy place, fresh food”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

This restaurant is a small and cozy place.The menu is on a chalk board and there are many options. The food is very good and well served. The owner is also a very pleasant person.

Visited May 2013