Forest Edge Nature-lovers' Retreat
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewsthe cottagesoutdoor showerfroggy pondhansel and gretelvegetable gardenrock poolscity lifeyour doorstephiking trailsjungle gymour honeymoonpure blissmagical placespecial placeattention to detailpeace and tranquilityself catering
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 20, 2013

My husband brought me to Forest Edge for our honeymoon, and it was the perfect tranquil place to relax and explore the magical area of Knysna. Only a second-time visitor to South Africa, I loved learning about this particularly extraordinary part of the country. Forest's Edge is poised in an ideal location to enjoy the mysteries of the forest, and the town of Knysna is just a short drive away.

This collection of quaint and simple cottages is perfectly suited for a couple or family that is both content to self-cater (in the very well-equipped kitchen), and happy to attend to environmentally-friendly details like saving vegetable scraps for the wormery (thanks Ronel, for making this possible!). For those cooking for themselves, We HIGHLY recommend the award-winning Wild Oats market in Sedgefield on Saturday morning.

Reading "Circles in a Forest" while staying in the area made the sights and sounds come alive. The book was available to borrow from the cottage, and I was able to finish it during our 5-night
stay. Ronel is knowledgeable about the flora and fauna of the area, and shares the excitement of louries, elephants, etc. with visitors.

Some of the best hikes start right near Forest's Edge. the "Circles in the Forest" hike was wonderful, as were the Jubilee picnic area and hike. Don't discount the Millwood Mine loop just because it is lacking in old forest. We found elephant droppings there, and apparently there have been sightings. Not for the faint of heart in winter, though, and the tea garden is closed Mondays.

Great attention is given by the friendly staff to detail which makes for a very enjoyable stay. I hope we will be back in the future!

Room Tip: There are detailed descriptions of each cottage on the website, and it's all a matter of preference. We were happy with Foxglove.
Reviewed August 19, 2013

This past May we were fortunate to have the entire camp for ourselves. After a busy noisy week in CT and on the road the camp was blissfully quiet during day and night. Many of the group were content to catch up on sleep on the porch or under a tree.. and life slowed down and offered time for reflection. The group loved the well funrished clean cottages with outdoor showers and a big bathtub indoors. This was the 5th time we stayed at Forest Edge and definetely will come back for a 6th time!

Room Tip: Wonderful forest peace and quiet!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 19, 2013

My first visit to Forest Edge was at the age of 9 and that memory has been imprinted in my mind forever. Forest Edge and the Knysna forest area is the reason why I have developed a great passion for nature and conservation. I have just returned from a break away for my 25th birthday and I am happy to say that I have come back with even more precious memories. Our every need was catered for - there were even potted herbs growing on the porch. We had a delightful stay in Field Mouse cottage! The cottage was cosy and we had a wonderful time relaxing in front of the fireplace. It is inspiring to see that an eco-friendly approach is present everywhere. To my surprise Ronel even remembered my birthday and gave me a bottle of champagne!! We've started saving for our next visit!!!

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Our family has visited Forest Edge for many years and will continue to do so. The quaint cottages are well equipped and comfortable. It is wonderful to wake up to the sounds of bird calls and to walk onto the porch and have a view of the wonderful Knysna forest. I have not come across another place in this country which invigorates the spirit in the way that Forest Edge does. It is off the beaten track, yet close to Knysna if you would like to go into town. The cottages are selfcatering, but just down the road is a splendid country restaurant, Totties, which offers delicious meals. We enjoyed the local attractions so much that we did not feel a need to return to the busy town of Knysna. The hostess, Ronel, was exceptionally helpful and friendly as always and that is also one of the main reasons that Forest Edge will hold a special place in our hearts for ever.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

I came across Forest Edge's web-site quite by accident and am so glad I did!
Nestled in God's own countryside, this magical place rejuvenates both body and soul.
Ideal for all who just need to "get away from it all" and find themselves again.
Forest Edge is a place that I definitely will have many happy returns to!

Room Tip: there are only five cottages here so each one is tastefully and personally fitted.