“wow wow amazing place, lovely animals and staff from the top boss doen.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Knysna
Knysna Elephant Park Lodge
Ranked #18 of 107 Specialty Lodging in Knysna
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We stayed at the lodge for 2 nights, you will be Amazed at the lounge in the lodge over looking the elephants sleeping quarters. even though we were late the first night, the staff still made sure our 11 year old Michael had 10 minutes private feeding time which was so kind and considerate. We all fell in love with the place, we feel privileged to have been able to ride them, feed them and hug them. Dont expect peace and quiet the elephants snore louder than me my wife says. Even though the weather was poor it did not dampen our spirits, the lodge is very comfortable and well equipped. our only tiny negative is would be nice if the company provided a poncho when it rains as tourists dont always have these.
We adored the place and a big thank you to the owner for taking time out to take my Son Michael round early one morning, he never stops talking about the experience and wants to come back and work there when he is old enough.
Dont come to Knysna and not visit this place, words cant do it justice. Thank you

Room Tip: Remember elephants don't sleep quietly it's all part of the experience
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

The elephants and their guides provided a very special, once in a lifetime, experience. Those gentle giants and their kind shepherds gave me unforgettable memories!
The lodge is fine, just the price is wrong.
This was reflected in us being the only staying guests. It would have been much better to come for the day. Most elephant experiences are not included in the overnight stay price anyway.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank rderoy62
Reviewed October 30, 2012

What an experience being so close to these gentle giants. I visited with 2 of my Indian guests last week and they were over the moon being able to feed and touch the elephants and the staff were phenomenal! We loved every minute of it! Will visit again and again!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 2, 2012

If elephants are your passion, the Knysna Elephant Park Lodge is a must do. On the other hand, if you are interested in elephants but don't want to spend the extra money to stay at the lodge then the day program offers much of the same experience at a better price point.

The only special thing about staying at the Lodge is the common room above the elephant stable where you can go, sip coffee and watch the elephants overnight. The truth is not much goes on during the night. At dusk, the elephant handlers bring the elephants inside to a large open area separated by iron bars where individuals are lodged. After they eat, the elephants hang about doing what elephants in large cages do. Not much.

Rooms in the lodge are small, nicely appointed but nothing special. At sunrise, the option exists for an elephant ride weather permitting or you can accompany the handlers out to the fields with the elephants and feed them some fruit. The photo opps are terrific. If you spend a little time and effort, it's possible to get a shot of a person with an elephant that appears to be in the wild rather than in a supervised area. That's always fun for your desk or screensaver.

Food in the restaurant is basic and the service is practically nonexistent.

This is one of those places that afficianados adore, and the less enthused wonder what all the hype is about. Very personal choice.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Boudecca
Reviewed May 15, 2012

The most wonderful place in the world! The elephant lodge is an amazing experience, not to be matched! The guides are so knowledgable and friendly we were able to go out on a tour to see the elephants and spend as much time with them as we wanted and ask millions of questions. It was quite breathtaking to be able to get so close to these beautiful rescued animals and learn all about them. It is obvious that they are well looked after and cared for by the team there and although they are still wild animals they are now safe from harm and able to live happy lives. I would defnitely recommend staying a night in the elephant lodge if you can as having a room overlooking the elephants in the boma where we could listen to them all night eating and communicating was amazing - I could have watched them all night - plus the rooms are gorgeous - if you don't get a room overlooking them the communal lounge also overlooks them so you can watch them to your heart's content! We also did a sunrise elephant ride which although I was quite nervous the guides put you at ease and ensure you are safe at all times. The hardest part was leaving after our ride - this was the most amazing experience of my life unlikely to ever be matched. Also a good tip - if you go in the winter months it is much quieter tourist-wise so you are often able to spend much more time up close with these beautiful animals.

Room Tip: If you are able to stay in room 1 or 2 you overlook the elephants from your room otherwise the other...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I can only agree with all the other 5 star reviews of the Elephant Park Lodge. The accomodation was actually better than I had anticipated - clean, reallly comfortable beds with lovely clean linen. We were in a family room as we were with our 12 year old daughter, so had a double and twin bedroom, shower room and small kitchenette/living room with TV (which we weren't expecting). To be able to watch and listen to the elephants sleeping is really special ... when we arrived back from a gorgeous dinner at Zinzi's (less than five minutes away) we couldn't believe how relaxing the sound of the elephants snoring and sleeping was - amazing and something never to be forgotten. The sunrise ride in the morning was so peaceful and the setting is magical. It was a privilege to learn about each elephant's background and to know that they are now treated with such respect.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 2, 2012

I don't think there is much else I can add here that hasn't already been said. It was the highlight of our holiday and I will remember it for a long, long time. The accommodation was comfortable with a good shower, mini bar and comfortable beds with crisp cotton sheets (pillowcases were monogrammed with an elephant) We even had a elephant chocolate on the bed on arrival!

The lounge was comfortable with complimentary tea/coffee to keep you topped up while watching the elles. The restaurant served nice, simple food throughout the day but not in the evening. They did deliver food to our room while we were out waking with the elephants so there is no need to go out to eat if you don't want to.

The experience of being so close to the elies was what made it so special. The handlers were all excellent and answered any questions we threw at them. They appeared to be very relaxed but they were watching any movement and if they thought you had put a foot wrong they would soon sort you out (I went a bit too close to the back of one elephant and the handler moved me withing seconds as he said it sometimes kicks backwards - it made me realise that they are very skilled at their jobs and very safety conscious) They were also very patient when they took us on walks with the elies and would stay out as long as we wanted to. They never tried to rush us the slightest.

We also went on an early morning elephant ride which was brilliant. I would highly recommend it.
It was brilliant lying in bed listening to the elephants so close by but after a couple of hours of it I was glad to put my ear plugs in!

I had high expectations of this place from reports I had already read on Trip Advisor and I have got to say it exceeded them. It was an exceptional experience

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple