“Not so great”
Review of The Harbour Rock

The Harbour Rock
Ranked #12 of 116 Restaurants in Hermanus
Cuisines: Sushi, African, Seafood, New Zealand
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Wanting seafood and sushi you would think a seafood and sushi resturant would be able to deliver just that...

The service was fine and the atmosphere nice however the sushi was average and the paella was extremely watery and bland.

It is also a shame as the seafood menu was limited having only hake and kingklip as the only fish options.

I would not rush back here for seafood nor sushi.

My brother did however have the chicken nuggets which even though was like the chicken snitzels you get from woollies was very yummy!

Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

We were looking forward to our dinner here,especially after recommendations from friends and our guest house, unfortunately we were very disappointed. The food was average - delicious tuna sashimi, but seafood chowder was unexciting and overly peppered, abalone overcooked and rubbery; mains of local fish were well cooked but rather poorly presented; we had no enthusiasm for dessert. By far the worst part of the whole experience was the service - waitress was ok but hardly enthusiastic or attentive; head of house was neither friendly or welcoming, could not raise neither a smile nor polite chatter when clearing plates, and our comments on the below-par chowder were ignored. Even the junior waiter was relatively short with us when he tried to remove my bread after only a few bites! I have spent many years in the catering and hospitality business - smiles and manners are free, and should be used extensively if you expect to run a successful restaurant business!! All in all, we are unable to recommend this restaurant, and would advise you try your luck elsewhere!!!

Reviewed December 10, 2013

We have now eaten at the Harbour Rock three times in the last couple of months and every time we do I feel that I am having one of the best meals ever.To start their sushi is great but their Thai food is as good and even better than most of the food I have eaten in Thailand. Everything is so fresh and cooked to perfection. The location of the restaurant is in the Harbour and has great views! If you book, ask for a window seat. The waiters are also well trained and friendly.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

November 2013.
Visited with friends who live locally -one of their favourites.
Had a good meal, well served by friendly staff.
Reasonable selection of dishes and wine you can bring your own. Hermanus has a good selection of restaurants. So to be outstanding you have to do something special.

Overall a pleasant eating experience and worth a visit for good value honest food.
Did not eat outside so cannot comment

Reviewed December 2, 2013

The Harbour Rock is known to be a classy expensive restaurant with great food. On arrival we politely asked to have a table at the window, and host sarcastically said “Doesn’t everyone" that was very unnecessary. I actually felt like going someone where else. I found their sea food platter to be a huge disappointment. The oil definitely needed changing; the fish batter was drenched in old oil. No sauces were served with the platter leaving everything to taste like old oil. Peels of cucumber were placed in the salad which I can only image they peeled the cucumber for their sushi and placed the skins in the salad. I wish I had taken a photo of the amount of oil left on the plate afterwards. I will not recommend eating at the restaurant to anyone and will definitely not be going there for a meal again; I also feel the staff needs to create a more welcoming and friendly atmosphere around the restaurant.

1  Thank catherine s