“Harbour Rock - mixed review”
Review of The Harbour Rock

The Harbour Rock
Ranked #12 of 116 Restaurants in Hermanus
Cuisines: Sushi, African, Seafood, New Zealand
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We visited Harbour Rock twice during a recent holiday in Hermanus - recommended by our nearby B&B. The location is very good, overlooking the harbour with views of whales during the season.

The first visit was very good. We had a window table and we had fish - the food and service were very good. We had reserved for 6:30pm - a little earlier than normal but we wanted daylight to enjoy the view.

On the second visit two days later (also 6:30) we were brusquely told that we couldn't have a window table despite the restaurant being almost empty. We ordered from the Thai menu - the starter and my wife's chicken dish were very good - but my main dish was not. I had ordered the Crispy Duck Sweet & Sour. I expected that the duck might be fatty but after plodding my way through the meal I found only a few pieces containing a very small amount of duck meat - resulting in a very big heap of duck fat on my side plate. This would have been very visible to the waitress if she had visited to ask how the meal had gone - but no-one did.

The adjacent window table (which we had been refused at 6:30) was still empty as our meal came to a disappointing end at about 8:15pm. A couple arrived and were taken to the window table and soon asked to be moved elsewhere, making the table vacant again.

In case anyone from the restaurant reads this I will add that I found it very very noisy. Its clearly a popular place but they play very noisy background music and this causes everyone to raise their voices to overcome it and to overcome everyone else's chatter. As there are no soft furnishings the noise does detract from the ambience.

So, the first visit was very good and the second very bad. Its very hard to know how to rate it fairly as the two experiences were so extremely different. As the restaurant is rather more expensive than others in the town I don't think we'll return.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Our visit to Harbour Rock was thanks to the recommendation from our guesthouse - and as one of the owners is a chef, we felt that recommendation would be worth listening to. We were not disappointed. In spite of the fact that it was a Tuesday and not in high season, the restaurant was quite busy. Service was very good and the food was fabulous. The calamari was melt in your mouth tender - cooked to that exact moment of perfection.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Very good seafood, fresh! Had the calamari starter and fresh, just caught line fish(Kabeljou), all delicious. Deserts were good too. Good atmosphere, wonderful sea views with whales playing in the sea right in front of restaurant.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

A lovely location at the 'new' harbour in Hermanus. Kabeljou and tuna beautifully fresh and perfectly prepared. Desserts were excellent followed by 'real' coffee. All enjoyed while we watched a number of whales doing their thing just beyond the breakwater. Prices are reasonable. Really friendly service rounded off a great lunch experience.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

This restaurant has the most amazing views of the harbour so you can dine and watch the whales at the same time. I ate from the Thai menu and my son and husband from the main menu. Also a sushi menu so plenty of choce for the whole family. The food was delicious!!! The service is friendly and relaxed but efficient - just what is needed in a holiday location.
We ate early and were able to make a reservation on line a few days before. I am not sure how it would be in high season to get a reservation as it was getting busy as we were leaving. We didn't, but a number of the tables had taken their own wine so obviously thats allowed. Not sure what corkage is.
Highly recommend for a great meal in Hermanus.