“1st Class everything.”
Review of The Barefoot Cook

The Barefoot Cook
Ranked #9 of 126 Restaurants in Hermanus
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Delicious lunch and dinner options available on weekdays. Menus are planned using only the freshest seasonal produce so the blackboard menu changes regularly. Stop by to see what adventures await you!
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I was lucky enough to be included in a 50th Bitrhday dinner party of 24. We booked the entire restaurant. Outside the weather was freezing. I have nothing but praise for the owner of this supurb Bistro, Mariclaire and her right hand girl, Rita. 'Single handed ' these 2 made our night of festivities one to remember. The food, especially the crispy duck, was too die for. The decor, 2 roaring log fires, the service, the ambience, the wine, but without hesitation the food, all scored 100%. I can highly recommend this restaurant, the owner and staff. To making sure everything was going to plan before the event, to sourcing and organising outside extras, to making sure throughout the whole evening everything was on track, nothing was too much trouble for either Mariclaire or Rita. All done with a smile. Such a pleasure. They rock !

1  Thank wendyparkhouse

Reviewed August 21, 2012

We're regulars at the Barefoot cook in Hermanus, I can't think of a nicer eatery on a Saturday morning. First of all we browse in the second hand bookshop, what could be nicer? Then we trot through to the Barefoot cook (Chef does indeed walk around barefoot). A good breakfast can be enjoyed here and then the black board menu for lunch is a winner. Small delicious meals are served, my husband loves the winter comfort food which he'll never get at home, liver, kidneys, venison, but do not despair there's something for everyone to enjoy. I've not studied the wine list as I just have the house red, many diners love the fresh orange juice and most local beers are available. Our waitress is lovely, she almost knows one by name and makes all her guests feel at home right away. This eatery comes highly recommended. You'll not be sorry.... promise.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

Really good meal, excellent service and a lovely venue which is warm and inviting, with a log fire for the cold evenings. Highly rated!

Reviewed April 27, 2012

Such a gem!! We've had a holiday home in Hermanus for almost 15 years now, and I have never had dinner in such a fantastic restaurant! We came to celebrate my husband's birthday with good food, wine and service - and we were definitely not disappointed! It was kind of busy, filled with locals (which is always a good thing) and felt so homey behind a 2nd hand bookstore. We had olives for a welcome (nice to have something other than bread) and our starters were fantastic! My husband had home-made spring rolls and I enjoyed a sweet potato and ginger soup. I had the crispy duck (their specialty) and my husband had (what we both decided was) probably the best crumbed pork ever (the crust was seasoned with sesame seeds and lemon rind - it was absolutely divine!!!!!! Value for money, great wine list of local wines and stunning atmosphere!! Gorgeous seasonal dining!! And the Cook REALLY IS BAREFOOT!!!!! Can't wait to visit again in July and bring along my parents! Well done BFC, well done!!

1  Thank foodandwinefortwo
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Had a very relaxed dinner.

The menu was very short, 4 mains and 4 starters. However, all interestingly prepared. I had their speciality duck with sour figs which was fantastic. Worth a visit just for that.

If the weathers warm then eat outside in the courtyard.

The restaurant is at the back of a second hand bookshop, which is a bit different but dont be put off.