“Loved it so much, I came all the way back from Texas twice!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Pelagus House

and 1 more site!
Pelagus House
Ranked #40 of 87 Hermanus B&B and Inns
Austin, Texas
“Loved it so much, I came all the way back from Texas twice!”
Reviewed October 25, 2011

Ok, it wasn't exactly JUST to stay at the property, however, as soon as I confirmed my second trip, I made sure that a 2-night stay in Hermanus at this property was reserved. Nothing but amazing things to say about Pelagus House & the attached sister property called Nautilus House!

My first trip to Hermanus, my travel buddy arranged a reservation for us to stay in the Pelagus House-- he requested a room with two single beds. When we arrived at the address, it was very easy to find, even for two Americans ;) Very well situated between the ocean and town. We were greeted at the gate by Anneline and parked in the secure parking area (free!). After unloading the car, we were shown the room which was very nice; when we were shown the room, I would have been quite content, however, Anneline offered us a free upgrade since no one was staying in the 2-bedroom suite during our stay (YES!!) The suite is beautiful-- a HUGE outdoor terrace off the living room and bedroom with two Miami-style round bed-chairs and an additional smaller terrace with a small patio set off the living room. The service is impeccable-- from the daily room cleaning to a delicious customizable continental breakfast, they have got their hospitality down to a fine art. Mara and Anneline are not only two of the sweetest mother-daughter property managers I've ever met, but also the most helpful-- they will suggest and arrange dinner bookings and coordinate activities should you so desire. We had been wrongly advised by the concierge in Cape Town that our safari in Albertinia was only about an hour and a half from Hermanus-- when we realized it was actually more like 3 hours away, Mara quickly took control of the situation and started making calls to find any animal-related activities we could do on such short notice and the last day of our visit to South Africa. After a few calls, she was able to arrange a cheetah preserve and winery tour combo outing with Percy Tours. We would have been so disappointed if we would have had to spend our last day in this amazing country without ever getting to see any animals so she did us a HUUUUUGE favor by taking care of us!

My second stay in Hermanus was in the Nautilus House-- I wanted to change things up a bit since I was with my boyfriend this time and wanted to see if I would like the Nautilus House as much as the Pelagus and guess what? I certainly did!! The two houses are on the same property; they are separated only by the beautiful pool and hot tub (which I've never seen anyone but myself and my companions use). Nautilus has a slightly different ambiance-- it has crisp white rooms with thatched roof ceilings for a more authentic South African feel unlike the more "modern" feel of Pelagus. Both very nice and comfortable, just a different feel. The bathrooms in both houses are 100% top-of-the-line modernized into a very clean, sterile, spa-like environment. My ONLY complaint is that there are no convenient power outlets in the Nautilus House-- there is one behind the mini-fridge but it's kinda hard to get to without pulling it out of the TV cabinet. But hey, if all I have to complain about for the entire duration of BOTH separate stays is a crummy outlet for my own vanity purposes, I'd say that's a VERY GOOD thing :) Mara said on our last day upon check-out, "I sure hope the balcony door wasn't too much of an inconvenience for you (it most certainly wasn't a problem-- it was just a little stiff due to the cooler temperature)-- next time you come back to Hermanus, we'll comp you a free night." Oh my goodness, could these women be any more accommodating?!? Of course I'm definitely going to take her up on the offer-- I'll still pay for another 2-night stay though. It is some of the best money I've ever spent on impeccable accommodation and service.

Thank you again Mara and Anneline! Breandan, Jacque, and I are your guests for life!

Room Tip: You cannot go wrong in any room on either property!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Reviewed October 22, 2011

The location of this guest house and its picture windows over the bay really made this a great place for us. Sitting in the lounge watching the whales leap is a memory we will take from this holiday. The accommodation is an excellent standard and the room that we were in was finished to a very high specification. The addition of the outdoor hot tub mean that, even on cooler days, we could enjoy the sunset in relaxed surroundings. Mara and Anneline were very welcoming and gave us some good tips on exploring the area and eating out

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed October 12, 2011

Lovely staff and lovely location.very convenient and very safe. Bathrooms were lovely and beds very comfy.

• Stayed August 2011
Berlin
Reviewed January 6, 2011

I am Witting down and having breakfast at the Pelagus as I write this review. That is how wonderful and special this place is. From the moment you walk in you feel at home. Jürgen is kind, attentive, and friendly without being overbearing...he's basically real and sincere and we appreciated it. Also funny.

So where to begin. We arrived after a 10 hour drive through the scenic Route and were dirty, tired, with nö reservation, and probably looked like a Couple of homeless people but Jürgen made Room for us.
We had driven around looking for a seaview Room before stopping here and saw a number of places before driving back to Pelagus in the hope it was still availabpe. It was.

The house is immaculate without it being museum like. Large overstuffed comfortable chairs, beautiful woodwork throughout the house, very tasteful artwork and sculptures, and Large airy rooms. This just describes the common areas. There also is a huge terrace where you can sit and stare out at the sea and watch the sunrise or Sunset. Just behind the main house, there is a Beautiful Pool and jacuzzi. Perfect place to relax and get some Sun.

We stayed in Room 3 and it was magnificent. Large bed with a firm but soft mattress. The decoration and colors are all soft earth tones that put you at ease the Moment you step in. The bathroom is a dream. A large very well designed shower, along with a huge Lions claw porcelain tub! Ample closet space and a balcony with a view to the Ocean. Everytime we walked into the room we just wanted to jump up and down on the bed.

Housekeeping was perfect. You rarely saw them but everything was always spotless. Breakfast was Great with made to order omelettes and the best coffee.

Jürgens partner "Melt" is his name, helped us a lot in our Plans for the Gardenroute. We loved this place so much we stayed an extra night and would have stayed longer if we didnt have to meet Friends in Capetown.

The only negative was that we had to leave. We will definitely come back and i highly recommend the Pelagus to anyone wanting a 5star experience with warm friendly and helpful hosts!

Even if the Service had been bad, i still would rank this Place high. But the Service and House are tops and you will be happy you decided to stay.

• Stayed January 2011
London
Reviewed November 17, 2010

One of the best Guest houses I've stayed in in South Africa. Had a great time. You couldn't want for somewhere with a better location for either whale watching or getting to the centre of town - nothing more than a 5 min walk away. The room had great views looking out over the ocean and you could well and truly go to bed with the sound of the waves at your door! Has a good pool area, which includes a hot tub - with the emphasis on hot, when I was there it was too hot for me, and I normally like things warm, but this one I felt needed cooling a bit. If you're wanting one of the best places to stay in Hermanus, you're not going to get much better than here.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Altrincham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2010

We have done a lot of travelling in southern Africa and stayed in many hotels and guest houses; this rates very highly in our experience.
Guest house is on the coast road a short walk from all amenities, and safe too. Views from hotel over the ocean are stunning even though we were in a room at the back by the pool area . Access to a viewing area was easy either from the lounge or the upper deck area, and Jergen and Melt let us know when whales were about. House is beautifully dressed, very elegant,clean and garden and pool areas lovely as were our hosts and their staff.
Altogether a great place to stay.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kim_hamilton5
tadley, hampshire
Reviewed October 7, 2010

Stayed for 1 night at Pelagus House on a Travel Agents Educational Trip in September 2010. Fantastic hospitality, beautiful property in a beautiful location and fantastic rooms. Definately recommend staying here in Hermanus.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business