“Infested with millipedes”

Ranked #12 of 87 Hermanus B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Infested with millipedes”
Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

The location is stunning, the staff are friendly and the rooms are nicely decorated but the whole place is overrun with millipedes. I don't mean a few, I mean 10s of hundreds! They swarmed the outside doors and made their way into the halls, bedrooms, bathrooms and we're coming up the bath drains.
I couldn't sleep from sheer fear of the vast quantities. My sister, in another room was having nightmares, as it wasn't just our room that had the problem.
We also had a problem with no hot water in the room, rectified by letting us use another rooms facilities. Which turned out to have no taps on the shower!
They were polite and accepting when we refused to pay. It was a real shame that they are so over run with the tiny creepy crawlies because otherwise it's a lovely place full of charm.

Stayed March 2014
BlueGumCE, Owner at Blue Gum Country Estate, responded to this review, March 29, 2014
Dear h_Crawford

Many thanks for the review, and my sincere apologies that it was more like a night from a horror movie than a relaxing holiday for you and your sister.

I appreciate that there are positive points to your review, I have passed these on to relevant staff. However, the stay was obviously marred by the millipedes. We affectionately refer to these creatures as "Songololos" in South Africa. They are found all around South Africa (including urban areas) but certainly not normally in the numbers you experienced.

Our policy is to thoroughly clean the rooms before guests check-in as well as when our guests are having dinner. A clean is also done the next morning when the guests are having breakfast (if they stay more than one night). Cleanliness is of out-most importance, so I can guarantee you lack of cleaning was not the cause. All my staff were busy sweeping them away basically 24/7. However, they just kept returning - from where? No-one knows. Today (2 days after you were here) there are very few to be seen. Thus your poor experience was unfortunately down to timing.

We have had a very wet summer and the water table is very high. This, I imagine, may be the cause. We are also on a very rustic piece of farmland. We are certainly not a sterile urban environment, we are very much a part of the nature here. Thus, unfortunately, bugs, creepy crawlies and insects are very much a feature of life that we (and most South Africans) have come to terms with. It is, obviously, a little strange (and scary) for people from a city environment or from another country when they are met with natures creepiest things.

I would like to point out to all that read this review that this is not a normal occurrence (as evidenced by the fact that this is the only review that has mentioned it in 7 years). This was a freak of nature and one that I really had no control over. Obviously it still caused you great discomfort and unease. Your husband did mention to my manager that there was almost a phobia type fear. Thus, I am certainly understanding of your comments.

Once again, accept my sincere apologies - and safe travels. Hopefully they will be bug free

Anton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We absolutely loved our time spent at the Blue Gum Country Estate. From the friendly, welcoming service, to the exquisite room we stayed in- you can’t find a better place to spend a quiet, relaxing weekend away. We highly recommend it and will definitely be back!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Hi SamanthaO

Many thanks for taking the time to review your time here at Blue Gum - we are thrilled you enjoyed your time here and hope to welcome you back very soon

Surrey, UK
Reviewed March 10, 2014

We spent a very peaceful 9 nights at Blue Gum in February and loved it - and we really wished we weren't moving on to another area when we left. The location and food are wonderful, but the service deserves a special mention since they really go out of their way to help in any way they can. Our daughter was unfortunately quite poorly when we arrived and Anton was so helpful organising visits to his family doctor which took a lot of the stress away from us trying to figure out where to go in a foreign country.

Blue Gum has the perfect set-up for people travelling with small children, with cottages very close to the excellent restaurant - although it is equally suitable for couples staying in the beautiful suites. This meant we could go for dinner in the evening within child-monitor range of our daughter who was asleep in her room (which we could see) only a minute away. This only failed once when we couldn't get her to sleep so they brought our dinner to our room for us instead. Breakfasts were excellent and they were happy to tailor the early tea they made each evening for our daughter to her/our requirements. She also loved the playground outside the restaurant. To top it off, they also hand-delivered a cable to our next location about two hours away when we forgot it in our room when we checked-out! You don't get service like that very often. We hope to return and will recommend Blue Gum to everyone considering a trip to Cape Town.

Room Tip: The Mountain View Family cottage was perfect for us with a second bedroom for our toddler but for a...

Dear ShirlsA

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Blue gum. My only aim of running Blue gum is to create memorable experiences for my guests and to allow them to relax and unwind. Thus I will always endevour to go out of my way to facilitate my guests needs and requirements. Having children of my own, I certainly realise how stressful it can be travelling with them (especially to a foreign country) so I am so glad I could recommend and organise for our beloved family Doctor to tend to Eva.

Safe travels and I hope to see you all again in the future

Brighton
Reviewed March 9, 2014

"The perfect way to escape the hussle and bustle of CPT. Attentive staff and family members made this a highlight of our SA holiday. Relaxed and informal, though elegant, well worth a trip. Raka vineyard and Klein River cheese farm on the doorstep are well worth a visit."

Room Tip: We had a great suite with a fantastic view
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Ben

Many thanks for the lovely review, we are glad you enjoyed your time here. Stanford and the surrounds are a lovely place to explore the picturesque Overberg area. We are glad you found our little piece of heaven, we hope to welcome you back soon

London, England
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights and were very glad to have done so. Our room (Honeymoon Suite) was very comfortable and spacious and nicely furnished. Breakfasts and evening meals were very good. Anton was very helpful and all in all it was a very relaxed atmosphere. Would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Honeymoon Suite was great with huge bath in the room!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear 381276

many thanks for the review - I am so glad you enjoyed your stay here at Blue Gum. I am glad we were able to offer you peace and relaxation whilst you were here.

Our guests are never just a number when they stay here ;)

Amsterdam
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Great views everywhere you look. Breakfast was excellent. Service was very good, although I recommend not to use the laundry service; we had to use this for some baby clothes and underwear and did not check if there was a price list because earlier stays on four star (wine) estates near franschhoek did not charge anything. Now it cost us approx Euro 40,- (ZAR 600,-) which is quite expensive.
Wifi is only available in the restaurant (and is very slow). It would be worth to expand this so it becomes available in the cottages and/or at the pool.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

BlueGumCountryEstate, Owner at Blue Gum Country Estate, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear Dulk1

Many thanks for the review, we are glad that the majority of your experience was a positive one. I must apologise for the 2 points you touched on that were not so positive.

It is standard at any hotel in South Africa to charge for laundry, and it is never my aim to overcharge customers for any service I offer. I have done careful research as to the cost charged in other hotels of the same star rating as Blue Gum or better and our prices are by far cheaper than most. I do apologise that you feel you paid too much,

On the point of the wi-fi, we are unfortunately in a rather rural area and thus the service providers do tend to neglect us. We have no hi-speed cables in the area not reliable cellular broadband so we rely on a local company that provides us with what I like to call "farm internet".

Wishing you and your family a great 2014

Regards

Amsterdam
Reviewed February 19, 2014

We extended our stay from 4 to 7 nights, which says enough.
Lovely cottages, spacious grounds, tasteful diners, nice staff. Great stay with kids who get special treatment f.e. kidsmenu if you want.

We would love to come back.

Room Tip: We liked to have the extra room for our one year old daughter, gave us room to r Relax during her n...

Dear CERAmsterdam

Many thanks for the lovely review, I am so glad you enjoyed your time here and were able to relax. Having kids of my own, I know the great need parents have to just be able to feel that their children are safe and secure and also having a wonderful time. i am happy we were able to provide this.

My wife and I have traveled extensively in South Africa and have come across very few places that are truly child friendly so it is a major goal of ours to create an environment like this at Blue Gum.

We hope to see you all again in the future

Anton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hermanus
The Marine Hermanus
Misty Waves Boutique Hotel Hermanus
White Water Farm
White Water Farm
#2 of 12 in Stanford

Been to Blue Gum Country Estate? Share your experiences!