“Friendly and fun...but needs a bit of TLC”

Blue Gum Country Estate
Ranked #13 of 86 Hermanus B&B and Inns
London
“Friendly and fun...but needs a bit of TLC”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Very friendly and incredibly accommodating for our two year old son. Great areas for him to play in too. The rooms and common areas Could do with a bit of a spruce up generally though. Be prepared for brown water caused by iron levels in the mountains too...it's perfectly clean and safe to drink though.

Room Tip: Book mountain view room one if you want to be able to see where your children are sleeping while you...
Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AlexEeles
BlueGumCountryEstate, Owner at Blue Gum Country Estate, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
Dear AlexEeles

Many thanks for taking the time to review Blue Gum and your experience here. Having been fortunate to travel extensively before running Blue Gum I am saddened by your review. Personally, if I had travelled 1000's of km's and paid much money to be somewhere I would expect more than to have an average time. Thus I would like to express my sincere apologies that your time with us was not enjoyable.

Many thanks for the positive points of your review. As we have our own children one of the priorities when I choose a destination and accommodation is that the establishment be child friendly. I am glad we tick that box. All my staff have been trained to deal with children, play with them, entertain them and generally create a happy and safe environment for them. We have, as you pointed out, created many safe and fun spaces for kids, so as to put parents at ease so as they can enjoy themselves and relax.

On the negatives - first off, let me say Blue Gum is a family run business. My father-in-law initially renovated and built the property in 1999. Over the years it has been through many changes and different managers etc. and was let to slip a little. When my wife and I took over the running in 2011 it was in a state of disrepair. We put our hearts, souls, tears (and certainly every ounce of TLC we had) into re-establishing it as a place of warmth, hospitality, peace and tranquility. Certainly, many things need to be "spruced up" and we are working on every aspect - let me assure you. But when trying to improve something this will always be the case. First and foremost we are trying to create a place to relax and unwind with a (large) modicum of luxury and sophistication but we will never be a place of full-blown luxury, as this sometimes feels sterile and uninviting, in my opinion.

On the point of the brown water - as you rightly pointed out - all our water is natural underground and spring water. It is very high in iron, thus giving it the brown colour. As you pointed out it is perfectly safe to drink (as it goes through many filters and a UV process to oxidise it), but does stain walls and have a huge wear and tear affect on some buildings, pipes, tiles etc. giving our estate a rustic look. I apologise once again, if this appears to be neglect and lack of attention - I assure you it is not.

I do wish you had rated the other 6 aspects TripAdvisor provides (Value, Location. Sleep Quality, Rooms, Cleanliness and Service) as well as perhaps the many meals you ate with us. Perhaps then I would have a clearer picture as to why your stay was "average". But, I shall endevour to improve Blue Gum with the information provided and I do hope perhaps you and your family will return one day and have a better experience.

Safe travels and Good luck

Anton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Cape Town
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Wished we could have stayed longer. Lovely setting, indeed very peaceful. Weather was a bit foul when we visited however it did not stop the children from exploring the play area. Child friendly and lovely big family room with gorgeous fire place. Did not dine in the restaurant for dinner but had a gastronomic journey for breakfast. Anton and team where very friendly and happy to assist with any request.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
BlueGumCountryEstate, Owner at Blue Gum Country Estate, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear Suene

Many thanks for taking the time to tell the world about your time with us! it was a great pleasure to host you and your wonderful family - we are happy you felt comfortable and at home, it is what we are aiming to achieve. I am happy the kids also had a good time, we are trying to create a haven for children and parents alike.

Wishing you all the best and I hope to see you all again soon!

Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Peaceful and relaxing place lovely people good food and heavenly location. We enjoyed a beautiful honeymoon suite with private terrace and a wood burning stove- bath in room and candlelit evening- just fabulous

Room Tip: Go for honeymoon suite
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Andrew

Many thanks for the wonderful review - my staff and I appreciate it and very much enjoyed hosting you. We hope to make next time an "excellent" stay!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I stayed here with my girlfriend for one night as a resting stop as part of our drive from Cape Town to Plettenberg, having done the shark cage diving in the morning in Gansbaai.

From the reviews and pictures, it looked like a nice place that was convenient, but when we arrived, I was ready to change our plans to spend a night or two longer.

To start off with Stanford is beautiful - gentle rolling hills and open fields that sets a stunning backdrop for this estate. The estate itself is positioned at the base of a large hill and is set amongst their own vineyards and olive trees. Once you come up the drive, you're greeted by beautiful gardens which the rooms look on to.

The room we had was very spacious and felt more like a small villa with a terrace than a room. Very nicely designed, with a bit of a colonial feel to it.

Other features which make this a real gem are:
- The pool, which is large enough to do lengths in and has a great view of the vineyards
- The restaurant had fantastic food and I understand is very popular with those not staying on the estate
- The trails - If you get a chance, go for a walk around the estate on one of the marked trails

Overall, you cannot help but relax and feel revived when you stay here.

Couple of bits of feedback:
- The last bit of the drive up to the estate could be slightly better signed and might be nice to have a gravel drive
- The tennis court looked a little old and we both thought it would be a good idea to turn this into a vegetable garden which could be used by the fantastic restaurant

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Tom

Many thanks for the wonderful feedback, it is most appreciated. I am pleased that you enjoyed most aspects and that you left feeling relaxed and rejuvenated - that is 100% what we are aiming to achieve!

Thank you for the constructive criticism - our roads are normally in much better condition but due to our lingering winter in South Africa they have taken quite a hammering recently. And I love the idea of turning our tennis court into a veggie garden (we are also considering a spa). My father-in-law built it himself so it is a bit of a DIY tennis court (and he is quite attached to it). We are attempting to change his mind :)

Safe travels, and we hope to welcome you back in the future!

Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Blue Gum is our destination of choice when we need to get out of the city and unwind. All the things you expect for a quality experience are there, however what you don't find in a lot of places is the human aspect. At Blue Gum it feels like the extension of family, everyone is so kind and so interested in you. More than worth a visit!

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Barryshawlewis

Thank you for the wonderful review. Blue Gum is all about family and about making each person that enters our estate feel welcome and rested and at peace. I am happy that you and your beautiful family feel this way. I look very much forward to our next meeting.

God bless

Buckinghamshire
Reviewed November 9, 2013

We stayed in one of the mountain cottages which were very spacious for our family of 5. Anton and staff were very helpful and welcoming. We ate in the restaurant for breakfast and dinner, the food was superb! It was great being able to leave the kids on our room watching a DVD while we enjoyed a kid free meal! The weather was very wet but we could still appreciate the wonderful setting and landscaping. A great couple of days.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Francesca

Many thanks for taking the time to post about your experiences at Blue Gum, I am so happy that you and your children enjoyed your time with us. Our family rooms are ideally located so as to allow a romantic dinner for the parents whilst the kids are safe and not to far away.

I shall pass on your wonderful compliments to all concerned. Many thanks and safe travels

Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

We spent 2 nights at this small lodge. We were very happy with our stay. The rooms were clean and spacious, the staff friendly and very helpful, the pool being black surprisingly warm for November and a good size, the food very tasty and well presented. If you can't afford the prices charged by nearby places like Grootbos this is a more than adequate alternative. We liked the informality and felt very much at home.
We would definitely recommend it.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear HasHout

Many thanks for the review, I appreciate you taking the time to post it. As Blue Gum is a family run business we are going for a comfortable, welcoming and informal atmosphere so that our guests feel like they are at home, part of the family but still pampered and special.

Many thanks for all the wonderful compliments I shall pass it onto all my staff - we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!