I stayed here with my girlfriend for one night as a resting stop as part of our drive from Cape Town to Plettenberg, having done the shark cage diving in the morning in Gansbaai.
From the reviews and pictures, it looked like a nice place that was convenient, but when we arrived, I was ready to change our plans to spend a night or two longer.
To start off with Stanford is beautiful - gentle rolling hills and open fields that sets a stunning backdrop for this estate. The estate itself is positioned at the base of a large hill and is set amongst their own vineyards and olive trees. Once you come up the drive, you're greeted by beautiful gardens which the rooms look on to.
The room we had was very spacious and felt more like a small villa with a terrace than a room. Very nicely designed, with a bit of a colonial feel to it.
Other features which make this a real gem are:
- The pool, which is large enough to do lengths in and has a great view of the vineyards
- The restaurant had fantastic food and I understand is very popular with those not staying on the estate
- The trails - If you get a chance, go for a walk around the estate on one of the marked trails
Overall, you cannot help but relax and feel revived when you stay here.
Couple of bits of feedback:
- The last bit of the drive up to the estate could be slightly better signed and might be nice to have a gravel drive
- The tennis court looked a little old and we both thought it would be a good idea to turn this into a vegetable garden which could be used by the fantastic restaurant
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Blue Gum Country Estate is hidden in the valley that ascends towards the small town of Stanford, just outside Hermanus. The estate is a working wine farm and developing vineyard. This magnificent 130 acre piece of paradise is perfect for those seeking an alternative route and destination to the garden route or a relaxing break from the city. The delightful estate, nestled among ancient Blue Gum trees, overlooks the leafy banks of the Klein Rivier and encourages guests to relax in tranquil beauty and endless luxury. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Blue Gum Country Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.