“Great view, incredibly helpful staff”

Windsor Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Hermanus
Reviewed May 11, 2013

We have been here many times and every time we are treated as if we were VIPs! Not a very grand hotel, but very family-oriented and suited for a hotel right next to the beach. They have a stellar crew here who will help you with or provide you with anything you can think of. Also a nice fun room ("Whale Room") where you can watch DVDs on the projector!
We recommend it strongly!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank cjmeyer96
Windsor H, General Manager at Windsor Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear CJMeyer96,

This form of review is the most satisfying to a General Manager. When the staff are recognized for being the difference between you and your competitors and when you realize that you have a compliment of staff that are committed to making every stay a VIP stay, that is the highest form of compliment a General Manger can get.
I am humbled at your comments and I am humbled at the actions of my staff.
Thank you for this review. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Windsor.

Blake and the Windsor Team

Reviewed April 27, 2013

This sea facing hotel is well situated close to town and restaurants.The rooms are big and comfortable enjoyed it very much.The staff is efficient and friendly and the rooms are very clean.We will be back!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Karinvr,

Thank you for your great comments on the hotel and on my staff. I cannot stress how important people are in our business and being surrounded by such committed staff is a blessing. On behalf of my staff I say to you we cannot wait to see you again. Look forward to welcoming you back!

Blake and the Windsor Team

Reviewed April 27, 2013

The Windsor Hotel in Hermanus is a most delightful return to the Good Old Days. At the same time it gives you a grand experience of the present - a holiday which behaves as a holiday should. Crashing waves, exquisite views, wonderful (low-key, professional) service and management. Delicious breakfasts overlooking the sea and rocks. And excellent value for money.

I awoke at night to see the room itself filled with the sea mist.

I have been there a few times in a range of seasons, and will keep going back. On most visits I have stood on my balcony to greet the sunrise and I have seen whales - really close, schools of dolphins and huge rainbows arching across the sea. Sometimes all at once!

The rooms and bathrooms are varied shapes and layouts, but all seriously cute. On my last stay, I had a brass bed, a balcony overlooking the sea, a really big bath, a bathroom with windows like ship portholes and black and white tile-style floor.

There are rocky sea paths to stroll along just outside the hotel. I'd like to spend months at the Windsor, writing, walking, exploring the little town of Hermanus (which is also mega-cute). I was not surprised to learn that in times of old the Windsor was a healing facility; it still has that recuperative, restorative effect.

Room Tip: Best are rooms on the sea-side (with balcony)
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sally A

Dear Sally A,

Thank you for this incredible review. I am not sure how to answer this but just to say thank you and ask every one to please read this review!

Looking forward to welcoming you back to The Windsor Hotel.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Having stayed in this hotel from 15 April to 20 April 2013, I have only fine things to say. This sea-facing hotel has a very long history, beautifully depicted in the display of well-framed old photographs in the public areas. Gentle music is barely audible. The rooms and bathrooms are spacious and in mint condition, being tidied every day, if so wanted. General manager Mr Albert's warmth and professionalism is reflected in the fine and friendly attitude and professional and prompt behaviour of the staff. Being bed & breakfast only, I thoroughly enjoyed the ample breakfasts, catering for all tastes - far too much food for the average appetite! A very nice touch was the complimentary SA white wine and red wine served to guests from early evening onwards, apart from having a well-stocked cash bar. The 24 hour WiFi also came in very handy. Thank you very much, Windsor. You prove that a hotel does not have to have a five-star rating to be a five-star hotel.

Room Tip: If one prefers not to hear the sea and the very little traffic in the street separating the front fr...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Dear Johann B,

On behalf of me and my staff I would like to thank you for your comments. It was indeed a wonderful and memorable stay you had with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

My husband and I took a short break and booked in at the Windsor Hotel in Hermanus. Our comfortable, large room (en suite) overlooked the sea, with only a narrow, quiet road between us and the rocks and waves. Sitting on the balcony, sipping some chilled wine and watching the crashing waves was such a relaxing and rejuvenating experience. The next day the sea had settled and we enjoyed seeing dolphins playing in the waves.
The hotel is old but by no means run-down. It's staff is efficient and very friendly and the rooms are serviced with pride and experience. The bed was very comfortable and the breakfast was a buffet spread fit for royalty. Fresh fruit, various cereals and musli with three choices of yoghurt, cold meats, croissants, toast and the full spectrum of a hot English breakfast (even an alternative hot choice for vegetarians). Juices, tea and coffee were also on hand, as were all the condiments, jams and spreads etc, and the diningroom staff were attentive and proficient in their duties.
We found freshly made biscuits on our tea-tray each morning and every day there were home-made dolphin-themed chocolates to enjoy. At the entrance Management presents its guests with a choice of red or white wine to welcome you back from your sight-seeing or walks. Pour yourself a glass and sit in the lounge to enjoy a game of chess or just take in the fantastic view of the sea. The hotel does not provide lunch or dinner, but as it is situated right on the outskirts of the main hub of Hermanus, there are numerous fabulous choices of restuarants and take-away venues within easy walking distance.
Hermanus is a quaint town with many fascinating antique shops displaying all manner of memorabilia from the past. It's coastal walks are well-constructed and patrolled by security staff. Fernkloof Nature Reserve offers one a host of beautiful fynbos to admire and fairly easy hikes to advantage points overlooking the bay.
The Windsor is certainly one of (if not the) best hotels we've had the pleasure of staying in. Not badly priced for the excellent service and accommodation you receive. Just goes to show you don't have to travel far to find an experience you know you'd like others to share!

Room Tip: Rooms with a sea view are best.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Trishthurtell,

Trish I cannot begin to thank you for what I believe has to be the closest review to our mission statement as a hotel I have ever read. We are sometimes very hard on ourselves and on what it is that we want to be and when get a review such as this we realize that we are on the right track to achieving this. If you think we're good now, come again and see how much better we've become and come again after that to see how much better we're going to be in the future.
You are always welcome back and we so look forward to welcoming you again, and again, and again...

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Perfect setting with stunning views. Hotels.com had buggered up our date of arrival but lovely receptionist quickly sorted it. Room was adequate size but really needed a makeover, tired decor and furniture. Breakfast choice was excellent but hot stuff could have been kept at a higher temperature. Good parking area, all staff we encountered were polite and welcoming. Would have been perfect if updated a bit. Would use them again purely based on their location and lovely staff.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Windsor H, General Manager at Windsor Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Dear dormer51,

Thank you for your comments, Nollie (the receptionist that helped you) and the rest of the staff at The Windsor Hotel are striving towards a goal which includes updating; renovating and modernizing our hotel, but we can only achieve and maintain this through good service and a value for money experience. This is the base from which we will build.
My staff and I are dedicated to giving great service. We are motivated to improve our hotel and we are determined to be the best place to stay in Hermanus as you have indicated through your kind words, service is the corner stone of all of our dreams.
We will spruce up the hotel over a period of time and every time you visit us we will be a step closer to perfection, but as you already have pointed out we have the core basics under control.
We look forward to seeing you soon.

Kind regards,
Blake Albert and the Staff of The Windsor Hotel.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at Windsor Hotel in February this year. There were no whales to see, but the view was nice anyway. The sounds of the waves made us sleep tight at night. The town and surrounding area is cozy. All this combined with great service, wonderful breakfast and the relaxing atmosphere made it a wonderful stay. It didn't bother us that there was no elevator as we could see and that the hotel is a little tired. I also liked the chocolate whale that was on my pillow :-) I might come back to see the real whales in october/november one year!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BenedicteOslo

Dear BenedicteOslo

Thank you for your kind comments. We pride ourselves on being the hotel of Hermanus and the fact that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel as well as your stay in Hermanus is very motivating for us.
My staff and I are committed to bringing hospitality and customer service back into hotels. Judging by your comments I think we are making progress. We will continue to use this as our base from which we will update our hotel.You are always welcome back at the hotel and a true Hermanus experience is never complete without seeing the whales so you have to return between July and December and we will be here to greet you.

Warm Regards,
Blake Albert and The Windsor Team.