“Needs Attention”
Review of Auberge Burgundy

Auberge Burgundy
Ranked #17 of 87 Hermanus B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 10, 2008

Outwardly a charming property in a great location, but it is years since our room (penthouse) was redecorated and it is looking grubby. Breakfast is eaten in the Burgundy restaurant across the road. We also ate other meals there but consider the standards have dropped in the past few years. Try Rossi`s instead.

The convenience of viewing whales from the balcony and walking to restaurants and shops is balanced by external noise from the road, late night revellers and early morning market traders.

The adjacent Harbour House Hotel looks more promising.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 3, 2008

We stayed in the Penthouse Suite at the Auberge Burgundy for two nights. The place can only be described at tatty, sad and in need of complete re-decoration and updating of the kitchen and bathroom. The shutters were either difficult to close or would not close. Sitting on the balcony was not an option as it looked out over a road where a noisy diesel coach stopped every morning, and a building site where the workers started at 8 in the morning and were noisy for the rest of the day. The positive about our stay was breakfast, which was served in a restaurant across the road from the guest house and was tasty and plentiful with friendly staff. The two restaurants we visited were also disappointing; Annie's Kitchen where two venison steaks were sent back and Fisherman's cottage where we ordered baked camembert as starters, only to be given calamari, as they had run out of camembert. ( Well they do both begin with C!) This was not an option for me as I have a fish allergy. So our stay in Hermanus was not good, apart from seeing plenty of whales.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed November 28, 2008

Auberge Burgundy is a nice building with ideal situation in Hermanus, with a nice swimming pool.
Rooms are very spacious, comfort is good but not above average, this is the only point which the owners could work on and easily improve.
Reception staff is friendly, breakfast is in the restaurant across the street (which I personnaly do not see as a problem) and is excellent.
Good quality/price ratio.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 4, 2008

Fabulous location - right along the coast and close to "town". Love the The Auberge Burgundy! Many restaurants and shopping close by. You can watch for whales right from your room! They travel close to the coast and are easily visible!

We stayed in Hermanus only to do the White Shark Cage Dive and we just loved it - I am SO GLAD that we saw and stayed in Hermanus- Great restaurants, good shopping, wonderful small town!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed February 1, 2008

We were to stay at this hotel for two nights but extended it to a whole week back in Nov 2007because we liked the place so much. Staff were friendly and very helpful with tips on places to eat and places to visit.
We had a front room so the guard was just below us and gave us no trouble with noise. In fact he was always happy to see us sitting on the balcony in the early morning having tea and watching the whales.
We liked the whole of the village and found it one of the most relaxing places that we have stayed in SA in all our 35 years of visiting the country.
We met the owner as we had some trouble with a shutter not staying open. He was polite and helpful and hoped that this small problem had not hindered our stay. No arrgesive man here!
All in all I would have to recommend the place as we will be returning in the near future.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Brynsiriol
Reviewed January 20, 2008

From the outside Auberge Burgundy is an attractive Provence style house in a great location right by the ocean. I was particularly attracted by the photo on the website of a breakfast table groaning with delicious looking food. But appearances can be deceptive. Although the tarriff includes breakfast, breakfast is not on the premises but at a nearby cafe which is not connected with the auberge and which actually does not look particularly clean (needless to say I skipped breakfast). Secondly the guest house's idea of a mattress cover was a piece of dirty looking foam (I would hate to see it under a microscope). At 8pm the staff leave the premises and you are on your own except for one security guard who keeps watch outside. The only problem was that he chatted to his passing friends all night outside my window keeping me awake. The next morning after skipping the inclusive breakfast at the cafe I asked to speak to the owner as I wanted to voice my complaints before settling my bill. The owner was unbelievably aggressive, threatening and rude. As a woman, I hate to think how he might react to a male guest. The owner immediately assumed I was unwilling to pay and grabbed the phone to call the police! He refused to listen to what I had to say and just shouted over me. As a woman I felt so threatened that I just paid up and left. I often wonder about the security guard and hope that he is OK.

Stayed: October 2007
5  Thank EnglishWomanLondon
Reviewed January 19, 2008

We stayed here (family with teenagers) for Christmas 2007 and were very happy. We had the penthouse suite on the top floor with balconies and great views across the town and bay of Hermanus. The staff were very pleasant, friendly and helpful; the facilities clean, comfortable, tastefully decorated and more than adequate -although the bathrooms were a bit on the small side, as were the towels. Breakfast in the restaurant across the road was fine and on Christmas morning we were woken by the staff singing as the arrived into their day's work at the restaurant which was rather nice. It was a great location and we would definitely return

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank MimDublin