“Birkenhead House & Villa”
Review of Birkenhead House

Birkenhead House
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Hermanus
Reviewed August 14, 2012

One of the best stays I have had in a hotel ever, service was well beyond my expactations, staff was friendly and on the ball, location is best in Hermanus with a two minute walk to the private beach with a lovely scenic path. You can even spot whales from the pool deck. Food was just out of this world.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 6, 2012

My partner and I had an absolutely amazing 4 day long weekend at Birkenhead House. We got upgraded to a beautiful room and from the moment we arrived the staff per-empted our every need and made us feel so welcome. I had been pretty stressed at work leading up to this holiday but after around 20 minutes at BH I felt the stress begin to lift. Sitting out on the back terrace, watching the sea (and seeing the odd whale even in off season) was just lovely. The food was great and the chefs each night came and described what was on offer. I loved the all inclusive thing and even though the per night rate was quite high, once you factored in all the food and booze it was really good value. I loved the decor and the general vibe. To be honest, I am running out of superlatives - just GO THERE! I can not recommend BH highly enough and I can't wait to go back.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 15, 2012

How often do you find a 5 star facility that makes you feel at ease while enjoying incredible rooms, exquisite food, and willingness to share their love of South Africa? The staff have one focus .... making every day the best it can be.... that starts with breakfast, genuine interest in what you are planning for your day, and suggestions for things that you may have overlooked. The menu is unbelieveably scrumptious and your waiter will know the perfect wine for your meal.
Management and staff have an enviable enthusiasm for their responsibilities .... it is contagious. I don't think the Birkenhead can be surpassed .... thank you so much !!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 15, 2012

I don't have words to describe how much my husband and I loved our stay at the Birkenhead House. Everything was absolutely incredible from the caring staff to the exquisite food and I haven't even mentioned the view. It was the closest to feeling like a celebrity we have ever felt. The staff went out of their way to make our honeymoon as lovely as possible. The chef would come out before lunch and dinner and describe the menu and make sure it was what you wanted. They had excellent suggestions for wine. During the day while we were laying on sun loungers overlooking the majestic view they would be offering everything from snacks to cocktails. I can't thank the staff enough for our experience. I feel enlightened to know about this amazing place

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Had an excellent two night stay. Highly suggest the yoga instructor they can bring in for you, as well as dining in the restaurant. Delicious meals both nights, extremely comfortable room. Really was a fantastic way to end the trip.

Room Tip: We had room 6, which is not ocean front, though it does have ocean views. It looks on to the pool...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 20, 2012

relaxed from the moment you arrive ... this place perfectly combines the feeling of staying somewhere special whilst giving relaxed service. when we arrived early we were greated with champagne cocktails and advised to relax over lunch whilst our room was prepared...perfect start to our stay! the food here is great .. interesting flavours .. fab tastes. we stayed in room 1 ...amazing views .. big suite ...champagne and petals ... we slept with windows open hearing the sea! walk into Hermanus takes just over an hour .. watch out for seals and whales. hotel arranged shark diving for hubby. shame we only had 2 nights here ...

Room Tip: Room 1 was amazing .. try to get sea facing room if you can
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 20, 2012

“This is one of my favorite lesser-known properties in the world – absolutely love it, and feel so at home here. It's great for afew days of relaxed activity away from the hustle bustle of Cape Town, getting out and about in the dreamy, beach-side setting for hikes, picnics and whale-watching. During whale season is when it must be experienced – you’ll just not believe how many and how close! Atmosphere is one of an extensive private home: nothing is too much trouble for the super friendly and efficient staff. And the setting: Wow, wow and wow. The property perches on cliffs overlooking Walker Bay and is so close that you feel as if you practically are in the ocean — the whales smiling at you!”

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple