“Don't miss: soldiers memorial museum Hermanus” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Soldiers Memorial Museum - CLOSED

Soldiers Memorial Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: A Military Museum dedicated to the experience of the individual soldier. His story, uniform and equipment. The only kind in South Africa. Guided personal tours for small groups. A very unique experience in Hermanus. “There is no glamour in war, only permanent memories and nightmares for those who were there”Enjoy this experience in conjunction with the historical menu and ambience of De Voorskooten Café.Open 08:00 – 16:00, Tuesday - Sunday
Geneva, Switzerland
“Don't miss: soldiers memorial museum Hermanus”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

Last April a friend took me for a visit at the museum and my, did I have a great time!
The museum has a stunning collection of mostly German memorable that come to life with the detailed explanations and colorful stories from Jacques the owner. The personal guided tour makes it even more interesting: Jacques will capture your attention with his passion and profound knowledge of WWII and I am sure my kids would have loved it. For me this was certainly a highlight of my visit to Hermanus. I highly recommend everyone to go and have a look, it is a magnificent piece of history not to be missed.

Visited April 2013

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Soldiers Memorial Museum - a must see for locals as well”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

I was privileged to host my nephew and niece from the UK for a couple of days in Hermanus. I did the tourist thing and went onto the internet to do some research on Hermanus. It was a fantastic experience and was such fun exploring Hermanus with them. I went to places I had never been to before and was thrilled with the unexpected find of the Soldiers Memorial Museum which was amazing. The owner is passionate about his topic and very knowledgeable. He discussed and showed us items in his collection that he felt would interest us and my teenage relatives were so impressed and amazed that they could visit a Museum like this in Hermanus. Don't miss out - visit this gem.

Visited August 2013
Hermanus, South Africa
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Must see: Soldiers memorial museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

I only recently stumbled onto this little museum. The owner took us for a guided visit, and wow it was amazing. Every piece in the collection has got a story to it. The owner has spend his entire life collecting these pieces and is very passionate about his hobby. Although the collection focuses on German soldier artifacts there were also a few Japanese soldier artifacts. A must see if you are a history buff and interested in the stories of the German soldiers.

Visited June 2013
Paignton, United Kingdom
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Absolutely amazing - a must!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

If this was all we came to Hermanus for - it would have been worth it! We learned so much during this fascinating experience and what a storehouse of intrigue and characterful stories. Great for family outing - the boys loved it and were enthralled. You absolutely positively have to see this! It is worth the R60 per person!

Visited May 2013
Durbanville, South Africa
“Hermanus Highlight-Private Military Museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

I can definitely recommend the Soldiers Memorial Museum to anyone visiting Hermanus. The museum has one of the finest collections of military artifacts on the continent and the owner adds a personal touch with tours explaining the history behind the items that are on display. There is also a room dedicated to Teddy Bears which makes it a very family friendly place to visit. The restaurant located right next to the museum is also a great place to stop and relax if you want to get away from the busy tourist packed streets. I have visited the Museum a few times and will definitely be back again as there is simply too much to take in on one visit. Simply fantastic!

Visited March 2013