“Fab staff, fab food”

La Pentola
Ranked #7 of 113 Restaurants in Hermanus
Good for: Special occasions, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: La Pentola established in 1995 has a breath taking panoramic view of Walker Bay, the birthing ground of Southern Right Whales. The perfect venue for executive chef/owner Shane Sauvage's authentic fusion cuisine. All food is prepared to order, using only the very best quality ingredients, real butter, fresh cream and fresh herbs.Yes absolutely no MSG! The menu by internationally renowned executive Chef/ Patron & award winning author Shane Sauvage,comprises of a large variety of fresh seafood & Abalone, free range cuts of beef (KWV Fillet, Tender T-Bone, exotic game dishes, a great selection of vegetarian fare (Aztec Mushrooms) and a decadent selection of in-house deserts (Chocolate Terrine). La Pentola offers a Diamond award wine list with a large variety of local and international wines. We are an A la Carte restaurant that also caters for corporate functions, intimate weddings and special occasions. Open Monday to Sunday Lunch & Dinner.
Reviewed March 6, 2014

I organised a surprise birthday party for my dad's 70th at La Pentola. Unfortunately my family and I couldn't fly to SA to be with my dad, so I found this restaurant on the net and called them up to make arrangements - the staff were absolutely brilliant. Gabriel even phoned 5 taxi companies for me so that I could get my parents to the restaurant. Dead friendly, they took in account my father's walking difficulties and got him a seat with a great view, yet close to the amenities. My parents reported that the food was excellent, the staff and chef treated them wonderfully and they had the most relaxing time ever. Thanks La Pentola for making my dad's birthday really special, especially when I could not be there myself.

There are newer reviews for La Pentola

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Don't!!! If you're not only there for the gorgeous view. I have, before writing this review read some of the other reviews, where I've seen that the owner gladly replies to the bad ones and this will be yet another one, I am sure. I can honestly just say “don’t bother” and take a look at my other reviews and what type of restaurants I have actually visited and commented on.

The menu is way too large and it seems like they want to put too much in it and still use the same base ingredients. You can for instance find a sauce to a course, almost the same as a soup.The food is so sweet that you won’t need to order dessert at all.

As I mentioned, the view is fab, but that's really it. The waitress was sweet and friendly but come on, that is definitely not enough. She spilled wine and wiped the table with an "oops" not even considering the fact that the bottom of the glass had red wine spills all over it so if I would have lifted the glass I would have spilled it on myself. As I wiped it myself with my own napkin (that they actually make into rolls and put in your glass, which is so tacky) she didn't replace it while just standing and looking.

It was quite hilarious to read the restaurant owner’s answers as they all tend to sound like someone trying to defend something too hard instead of taking the criticism, in many reviews quite constructive and even creative, given as an eye opener and actually making something good out of it. It's definitely a case for a certain chef and his kitchen nightmares.

2  Thank sokriw
Shane S, Owner at La Pentola, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

I am so happy that you have been to lots of restaurants and quite frankly don't care to compare my place or product to any of them as what we do is unique. I will of course respond to negative reviews because I feel that if some one has they need to bad mouth myself or the other 20 people that dedicate their life energy to sustain this reality I as the leader should defend us from malicious banter.So what exactly is your point ? The waitress accidentally spill t wine on you BOO HOO judging by your write up you must have vibed her so badly I am surprised she did not run away screaming in terror.Out of every five hundred guests that visit our restaurant perhaps one writes something on trip advisor 99%of them are appreciative of what we do some people have complaints when they are valid I always listen .You on the other hand have said nothing.Perhaps their was nothing actually wrong with your meal.Judging by your the photos you have taken the Thai butternut soup which I have served every day yours is the first complaint in twenty years and yes butternut & coconut cream is sweet that's why we add green curry & chili.The Green pea & bacon soup Hey Green peas are naturally sweet would you have preferred me to disguise the taste with MSG.Like I explained to the previous culinary impaired patron that our soups are reduced and thick with flavor and ingredients we don't use instant products which perhaps you prefer eg "Cup Of Soup".As for the fish It was Fresh Kingklip oven baked in butter with a slice of red onion and tomato.Like it says on the menu I really don't know what you were expecting.The KWV Rump steak which is a 400g prime cut of beef ,4 week matured rump in a pepper brandy sauce ( the best priced Steak in Hermanus guaranteed ! )This is not a steak? I am very sorry that it did not jump out your plate and give you a lap dance...Some how the tone of your article tells me you did not come to have a meal at my restaurant but rather to find fault to prompt a response from me.I hope you are not disappointed .What upsets me about patrons such as yourself is the fact that we as professionals spend months striving to achieve positive comments on trip advisor and a non nonchalant joker as yourself can negatively affect our consistent positive hard work.. that takes months of work to repare the damage to our business which to you was just holiday banter.. Yours sincerely the owner who is trying too hard to defend his company from negligent slander.PS:I have the other side of the story to every complaint or issue as I am hands on in my business so you are not qualified to make any statements what is constructive critisim or not as you do not have all the facts to your disposal.Last but not least kitchen nightmares is a TV Show created for people such as your self to think you have insight on an industry which you would not last a day in. Thank you for your constructive criticism.

Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

Me and my wife had a lovely meal here. Great food and excellent service from our waiter; Emmanuel.
We'll most certainely eat here again next time we come to Hermanus!

Reviewed February 27, 2014

We ate at La Pentola two years ago when it first opened. We enjoyed it then and were more than pleased that the standard hadn't dropped and was just as excellent all this time later. Staff were super. Hopefully will be back soon.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

my wife and I are often in hermanus.la pentola is a superb restaurant serving amazing cuisine. The mango duck starters were superb as was the seafood linguine. The deserts were great.I suffer with serious allergies and the chef took his time to explain which dishes were free of my allergens (nuts soya legumes).Thank you for a wonderful meal

1  Thank bennie b