“Best Chardonnay in Hemel en Aarde”

Sumaridge Wine Estate
Ranked #8 of 54 things to do in Hermanus
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed May 19, 2014

The wine and venue are incredible. The views are expansive and the tasting was brilliantly run. Needless to say we left with plenty bottles of the award winning Chardonnay and delicious Rose

MrsTatnumberten, Owner at Sumaridge Wine Estate, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to write a review. All feedback is useful but it's lovely to get a write up like yours:))) Our Chardonnay is Gavin's pride and joy! Try the Rosé with spicy food - it pairs beautifully and turns a Summer Wine into a Winter Warmer! Thank you again!

Reviewed April 30, 2014

Sumaridge is in a stunning location, with views on a nice day all the way down to the sea at Walker Bay. It's therefore a good location for a spot of lunch after the wine tasting. Not on a Monday, however - and it was a Monday when we visited.
(As it turned out, missing out on lunch for a good thing for us - the weather was poor, and we got late lunch when we checked into our hotel, which turned out to be superb.)

Anyway, the tasting experience was very pleasant, and we enjoyed the wine sufficiently to buy a couple of bottles to take back to the UK with us - not a risk free endeavour when they have to go into the hold luggage (fortunately they arrived unscathed).

The member of staff on duty (sorry, can't remember her name!) was very knowledgeable and engaging. She was also very helpful, providing details of a wine merchant in the UK who stock Sumaridge wines: http://thewinecompany.co.uk/

Reviewed April 15, 2014

I LOVE wine tasting in the Hemel and Aarde valley. Sumaridge is one of the most beautiful stops and I have been there many times before!!! Which is what made our last visit so disappointing.

I was with a group of 5 friends, all very interested in the wines and we had lots of questions about the wine and farm and area, very few of which the lady pouring our wines could answer.
We bought 3 bottles of wine between us, one which cost nearly R200 and thinking this would cover our tasting costs, we were told it had to be a bottle per person so we had to pay an extra R50. I thought this was in very poor taste as we were supporting the farm and do visit often, and not just to get free wine. And we didn't even each taste all the wines as some of us only drank the reds and others only whites.

1  Thank ClaireJM2014
MrsTatnumberten, Owner at Sumaridge Wine Estate, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

What can I do bur apologise? I am so sorry that you were more than underwhelmed.... could I ask you to email me holly@bellinhamturner.com - so that I can find out why it went wrong.

With my apologies and kindest regards

Holly

Reviewed April 7, 2014

I did a cellar tour and tasting at Sumaridge and loved it. The wines and the food were both excellent, the platters were so fresh and the staff were really friendly and helpful. If you haven't been to this part of the world before, brace yourself, the scenery is beautiful, not least of all at Sumaridge.

MrsTatnumberten, Owner at Sumaridge Wine Estate, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review Sumaridge! We are so glad that you enjoyed your visit and so glad that it added to your enjoyment of Hermanus. Please come and visit us again soon.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

My wife, sister-in-law and I popped into Sumaridge today to share a platter and bottle of rose. Views were beautiful, platter was excellent BUT there were only two other people there yet we waited 50 minutes for the platter to arrive by which time I had almost eaten the table.

MrsTatnumberten, Owner at Sumaridge Wine Estate, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

I am so sorry to hear that you suffered slow lunchtime service. I know the platters are freshly made to order - but to wait 50 minutes is unacceptable. So that I can find out exactly what happened, please can you advise me of the date of your visit?

Apologies and regards,