In our opinion, this is a good, provincial hotel. True it's a member of Relais & Chateaux, but if you think it's going to be in the same class as, for example, Chewton Glen or the Crillon, prepare to be disappointed.
We stayed in what was billed as a junior suite, but which was no larger than a standard room at the Radisson (Cape Town) and the Marine's bathroom was tiny and could only accommodate one person at a time - half the size of the Radisson's and about a quarter the size of those you would find at Chewton Glen.
The decor in the public areas was nice - contemporary South African, I think they describe it as - but in our room that translated as sterile. The room was painted in a shade of cool blue/grey and had two mirrors to brighten it up, plus a pair of out-of-place floral prints on the wall. We thought the decor looked cheap.
Our view of the colour scheme is subjective, of course, but on the objective side, the carpet was worn and stained, there was a cracked floor tile in the (tiny) bathroom and mould growing on the grouting in the shower cubicle.
Service was good and food was good, so it's basically a decent place to stay, but it's just not up there in terms of spaciousness or quality with the likes of other R&C hotels, like Chewton Glen or the Crillon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Marine is one of the southern hemisphere's most spectacular seaside Relais & Chateaux properties. Perched on the cliffs, overlooking Hermanus's Walker Bay, The Marine boasts 40 individually decorated bedrooms and suites. This unforgettable property overlooks South Africa's most pristine whale sanctuary, and it is just a stone's throw from one of the greatest densities of the endangered Great White Shark, and selection of fynbos species in the Cape. The Marine offers guests the unique opportunity to experience the finest land-based whale watching in the world. From June to September guests are able to view these majestic creatures from the comfort of their beautiful sea-facing bedroom. The attention to detail is apparent in every aspect of this remarkable owner managed property - from the personal service to the exceptional cuisine which is overseen by The Collection by Liz McGrath's Grand Chef, Peter Tempelhoff, the perfect-for-sundowners Sun Lounge and the in-house Carchele Beauty Spa. Each piece of The Marine story adds another element to an unforgettable stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Marine Hermanus reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Marine Hermanus Hotel Hermanus
- The Marine Hotel Hermanus