While vacationing in South Africa we wanted to go to the town of Hermanus on the Indian Ocean to view the Southern Right Whales. We were here in September and so are the whales. The town even has a "Whale Festival" the last week in September, with a whale crier who blows a horn to let everyone know where he is spotting the whales! Anyway, we booked at the Marine Hotel-a luxurious place right on the edge of the Indian Ocean. We had booked a "sea-facing room" and were disappointed when our room actually faced a mountain (beautiful-but not what we paid for). So after we found out there were no more rooms available except for the "David Rawdon Suite" with an approximate $100 a night upgrade charge--we took it. It had an upstairs bedroom with staircases on either side of the main room and a beautiful chandelier and 3 large floor to ceiling windows with incredible views over the cliffs of the roaring ocean! A very large walk-in closet and large bathroom. What was an initial bad thing turned into an amazing stay! The whole place is great with a small but nice bar and large sitting area. The restaurant there was also great and I ate some of the best fish I have ever tasted called Hake--delicious!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Marine is one of the southern hemisphere's most spectacular seaside Relais & Chateaux properties. Perched on the cliffs, overlooking Hermanus's Walker Bay, The Marine boasts 40 individually decorated bedrooms and suites. This unforgettable property overlooks South Africa's most pristine whale sanctuary, and it is just a stone's throw from one of the greatest densities of the endangered Great White Shark, and selection of fynbos species in the Cape. The Marine offers guests the unique opportunity to experience the finest land-based whale watching in the world. From June to September guests are able to view these majestic creatures from the comfort of their beautiful sea-facing bedroom. The attention to detail is apparent in every aspect of this remarkable owner managed property - from the personal service to the exceptional cuisine which is overseen by The Collection by Liz McGrath's Grand Chef, Peter Tempelhoff, the perfect-for-sundowners Sun Lounge and the in-house Carchele Beauty Spa. Each piece of The Marine story adds another element to an unforgettable stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Marine Hermanus reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Marine Hermanus Hotel Hermanus
- The Marine Hotel Hermanus