Hotel is an easy scenic drive from Cape town via N2 (around one and a half hours).
When we returned from Hermanus a few days later we opted for the scenery of the coastal road to Strand and N2 , enjoying a picnic which the hotel had packed for us.
Our group were made up of us(local Capetonians) plus overseas guests/ family.
Upon arrival we were made very welcome by the lovely and friendly Reception staff, who are brilliant at finding any info/ other bookings i.e booking golf and info on the local wine route
Hotel has superb location- literally across the road from the shops and museums , fantastic direct view over the sea. There is a walking route directly in front of hotel meandering along the coastline. Did not spot any whales this time round as we visited just before Christmas- well past the breeding season but there were owls nesting across from the hotel - watching them was a delight.
Tried all three restaurants - food and service was superb. The pub/ lounge overlooking the sea (and nesting owls)was the meeting spot for pre dinner drinks- lovely venue. Some excellent cocktails were had!
We booked 4x Rooms - none directly sea facing but 3 still had balconies or a window from where the sea can be viewed side on. Rooms were big with and included en suites, with sufficient storage for luggage and clothing plus safes for valuables . It was tastefully decorated and very well serviced.
Hotel has Spa on site , which gave an excellent well priced service to all of us plus a pool area where light meals and refreshments can be ordered.
Overall we felt very pampered - excellent stay and cannot wait to go back
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Marine is one of the southern hemisphere's most spectacular seaside Relais & Chateaux properties. Perched on the cliffs, overlooking Hermanus's Walker Bay, The Marine boasts 40 individually decorated bedrooms and suites. This unforgettable property overlooks South Africa's most pristine whale sanctuary, and it is just a stone's throw from one of the greatest densities of the endangered Great White Shark, and selection of fynbos species in the Cape. The Marine offers guests the unique opportunity to experience the finest land-based whale watching in the world. From June to September guests are able to view these majestic creatures from the comfort of their beautiful sea-facing bedroom. The attention to detail is apparent in every aspect of this remarkable owner managed property - from the personal service to the exceptional cuisine which is overseen by The Collection by Liz McGrath's Grand Chef, Peter Tempelhoff, the perfect-for-sundowners Sun Lounge and the in-house Carchele Beauty Spa. Each piece of The Marine story adds another element to an unforgettable stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Agoda, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Marine Hermanus reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Marine Hermanus Hotel Hermanus
- The Marine Hotel Hermanus