Lovely hotel, wonderful setting, very attentive staff, good food and all the other positives made by other reviewers.
In our case just one downside. Our room. We booked through an agent (Cox & King) who should have explained the different grades of room and in particular that those on the 1st floor of the two-storey building and facing the front have great views over the sea, whilst ours at the side of the building and on the ground floor did not. So worth checking out price and availability of the rooms before booking.
Also the sound-proofing between ground floor and first floor rooms was, in our case, very poor. So we were very often disturbed by what sounded like a herd of elephants from the room above. The excellent manager said he would look into it - obviously not for us, but worth keeping an eye on this for future visits.
Overall we enjoyed The Marine and would definitely come back if going to Hermanus in the future. Hopefully if things have improved and we get a better room we will be able to give the hotel the full monty - i.e. five stars.
One other thing to note is that at Christmas - the part of the world that hasn't gone to Franschhoek seems to converge on Hermanus so everything - golf, shark cage-diving, boat trips, spa treatments and the good restaurants - all get very booked up so its worth arranging these things in advance of your trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Marine is one of the southern hemisphere's most spectacular seaside Relais & Chateaux properties. Perched on the cliffs, overlooking Hermanus's Walker Bay, The Marine boasts 40 individually decorated bedrooms and suites. This unforgettable property overlooks South Africa's most pristine whale sanctuary, and it is just a stone's throw from one of the greatest densities of the endangered Great White Shark, and selection of fynbos species in the Cape. The Marine offers guests the unique opportunity to experience the finest land-based whale watching in the world. From June to September guests are able to view these majestic creatures from the comfort of their beautiful sea-facing bedroom. The attention to detail is apparent in every aspect of this remarkable owner managed property - from the personal service to the exceptional cuisine which is overseen by The Collection by Liz McGrath's Grand Chef, Peter Tempelhoff, the perfect-for-sundowners Sun Lounge and the in-house Carchele Beauty Spa. Each piece of The Marine story adds another element to an unforgettable stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your The Marine Hermanus reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Marine Hermanus Hotel Hermanus
- The Marine Hotel Hermanus