“Several nice touches”

Ranked #21 of 126 Restaurants in Hermanus
Cuisines: African
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Lizettes a stylish Bar Restaurant set in an iconic and historic property in Voelklip, Hermanus. Lizette’s is a restaurant with a unique twist, dishes are hand crafted, using the freshest of produce. Lizette’s offers an eclectic variety of fare designed with you in mind. Whether you are a weary traveller, holiday maker or loyal local, you will love our range of world class local wines from the Hemel en Aarde valley and beyond. Couple this with awesome craft beers and Gins from all over the Western Cape - and you know your off to a great start. Complement that with ever-changing food influences and trends from all over the world and you will discover a fusion of flavours and cultures that truly represent this little piece of heaven on earth we call Voelklip.
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We first visited Lizette's when they first opened, some months ago. On our most recent visit we were pleasantly surprised that it had settled in and now offers a relaxed and friendly welcome. When seated at our table we were given fresh iced mint-flavoured water which was a nice touch on a very hot day. There were also chilled and scented flannels to freshen one's hands before eating. Before we had even ordered our food Lizette came out to welcome us and returned during the meal to check all was ok.
The menu is limited but offers a good range of asian and other dishes. We both enjoyed the Beef red curry noodle dish accompanied by a tasty mojita for me and a reasonably priced glass of red wine for my husband. Our dessert of freshly baked cheesecake was out of this world. We won't leave it so long before re return.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

I only visited Lizette's birefly as we did not have time for a meal but really we we had. The menu sounds fantastic, being a lover of all that's Asian myself and especially Vietnamese which is very close to my heart. This is a very authentic experience and one that people should really step out of their comfort zones to experience!

I had one of the best Mojitos I've ever had, and I've been around, infused with basil & lemon grass and for just R 30 it's an absolute steal. We pay that only at half priced happy hours in popular Cape Town spots.

I wish Lizette and her team all the success they deserve! I can only see it going from strength to strength!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Delicious Asian Fusion cuisine - great flavours and authentic taste! Generous portions and friendly and efficient staff. Wonderful atmosphere and lovely decor.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

The restaurant has a lovely atmosphere of openess and it is very spacious. As we had just been on holiday to Vietnam, I ordered the Pho Bo but felt that the soup stock was lacking the flavour of the authenic Vietnamese Pho. My husband ordered the pork with quail eggs - this was super delicious. The flavour was balanced and Lizette's were very generous with the quail eggs. We thought we would get 4 or 6 eggs, but, wow 10 eggs was a real treat. The outside patio section is great in the summer months and what a lovely sunset to behold from there. We will definitely go back for a lunch experience with our next visit to Hermanus.

1  Thank ecsonza
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Last year, our first experience of Lizettes wasn't great, so we thought we'd give this restaurant another try - out of the busy tourist season. We arrived at 9pm - later than usual for an evening meal – and the restaurant was humming. I like to see places busy – it makes me think they're doing something right. We were shown to a table which wasn't clean. The first irritation. I noticed as customers left the restaurant, tables weren't immediately cleaned, wine bottles were left in ice buckets on the floor, etc. Not good! Our waiter's first words to us were “What would you like to drink?” while he looked around the place, not at us. No “Hello, welcome to Lizette's Kitchen, my name is so-and-so...etc.” My husband very nearly said something but let it go. When the same waiter brought the wine, while my husband tasted it, the waiter (I'm not joking!) rolled his eyes and looked up at the ceiling! He could not have been more bored or ruder.
The menu is brief and not shy on the prices - with Middle Eastern dishes such as lamb kofta with salad & roti & mint yoghurt for R78, lamb patties on salad for R85. The spring rolls are R75 for pork or chicken and there's a Vietnamese Pho Bo (beef fillet broth with rice noodles) for R50. I chose the Tom Yum soup with lemongrass & galangal – basically a coconut broth with strips of chicken & mushrooms served with steamed rice (R75). It was very tasty. My husband had a Vietnamese dish of beef – almost like a stew without much flavour unfortunately, served with steamed rice.
We ordered our food soon after we arrived but by 10pm we had yet to be served. There was no host/hostess or manager to be seen and we had to speak to a few waiters to find out when we'd get our food. Luckily our food arrived just as we were about to leave.
This restaurant could be something special if it were managed properly. The interior is comfy & the decor really great with a large lounge/bar area which would make for some wonderful get-togethers. There's a wrap around deck outside with tables as well as a garden area for lazy weekend afternoons. It's located on a busy traffic circle, but this doesn't impact on the patrons much at all. Where Lizette herself is, is anyone's guess, but perhaps someone needs to be in charge of this place?

1  Thank Jane W
LIzettes-KItchen, Owner at Lizette's Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Dear Reviewer

We are very sorry your experience was not up to your expectation. I would strongly advise anybody making a reservation especially on a Friday night. Unfortunately your arrival in the middle of service may have compounded a few issues and I'm sure your table was serviced with immediate effect upon us being able to find you a vacant one. We work very hard and strive to provide quality service and take seriously your comments. Lizette is available and on the floor during the early week days and is in the kitchen in the evening doing what a true chef does best. Our Front of House manager was unfortunately off on Friday attending a family funeral which was unavoidable. Raymond our second in command may have attended your table if you had requested a manager. I'ce buckets are often placed on the floor by the side of the tables by customers whose tables may be bulging with 3 or four dishes as they experience the Asian style of Sharing food with their partners. Our restaurant is indeed special and we like to think we do things a little different bringing our Asia style of dining to South Africa.