“The Wonder of Whales”

Boat Based Whale Watching from Hermanus
Ranked #2 of 23 Tours in Hermanus
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: BOAT BASED WHALE WATCHING IN HERMANUS. Our memorable whale-watching trips are informative and educational. We mostly encounter the Southern Right whales, seals, penguins and marine birds, and often see dolphins, Bryde’s and Humpback whales on many of our trips. The purpose-built catamaran, Miroshca complies with all safety regulations and provides spectacular viewing and comfort. Qualified, experienced skipper with Whale Specialist and Interpreter guide on board- Light refreshments included- DVD of tour available- Licensed permit holder. Daily Departures: 9h00; 12h00 & 15h00. Weather Permitting. Bookings Advisable.
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Thank you skipper and crew.....my trip was the best ever...the ''albino'' youngster who found
us as fascinating as we found him/her.. tails, breaches everything anyone could want to see
in one trip and the Ocean flat as a pancake.....my pics were great but I wanted the cd to back them up.

I've 'whale watched' all over the world, including Hermanus and Plett several times but this
was such a special day, maybe I should stop now but No.. I'll be back.......
... ''Observing not Disturbing'' next time I'm in Capetown.

3  Thank shabbychic

Reviewed December 2, 2012

We spent a lot of time researching this trip before our holiday. Sent numerous emails and sourced price and travel from Cape Town. In summary we felt it was over-priced and disappointing and this was not because we did not see any whales as we had 7 different sightings of different sole or paired whales over the 1 1/2 hours.
The pre-sail briefing we felt was bordering on aggressive/arrogant/patronising and unfortunately we felt set the tone. The chap who delivered lacked a sense of humour!!
We had prepared from previous reviews and ensured we took travel sickness tablets which we recommend if you suffer with any sea sickness.

We sailed out for 30 mins or so and found our 1st sighting which was where my husband began to get frustrated as it became apparent the boat was too full for decent photos or viewing unless the whales were on your side. This then became more exacerbatted as for the next 60 mins the skipper continued to have the whales on the left hand side of the boat and we sat on the right hand side. People stood in front which then moved from frustrating to annoyance and it continued like that even after re-postioning the boat following large swells.

From an enjoyment point of view the boat has too many people on it.

Interesting when we got back we saw as many whales breaching or tailing on land as we did on the boat and it was a lot easier to take photos.

This was our most expensive excursion of our holiday to South Africa when you include the need to pay for transport from Cape Town.

We felt not worth the money from our experience let alone it could have been worse we may not have even seen whales.

2  Thank Team P
Reviewed December 1, 2012

A fantastic experience on a cloudy afternoon off the coast of Hermanus! The skipper guided the boat in the vicinity of the Southern Rights, without disturbing them. We were fortunate to watch the whales mate! A lifetime experience, strongly recommended!! Website is http://www.southernrightcharters.co.za/

1  Thank Szomi
SRCWhaleWatching, Manager at Southern Right Charters, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Thanks for taking the time to post a review and great pic's - cloudy (grey) day, yes- but the sea so calm makes up for the lack of sun shine! Stunning pic of our boat leaving the Harbour as well. Many Thanks from the Southern Right Charters Team.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

I just blamed myself for paying for this expensive trip. There must be someform of refund, or discount, if the mininum number of whales (promised) is not surpassed.

My advice is - if there are no whales sighted from the shore, please avoid the boat trip. If there are some whales sighted from the shores, the boat trip will probably offer very good close contact with the whales.

another advice - please take anti-emetics 2 - 4 hours before the boat ride.

1  Thank francis_61jb
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Enjoyed a really lovely trip, it was a lovely day and the sea was calm, after a short but very informative talk about the whales we set off, the crew was available mingling amongst the passengers ready to answer questions and fill you in about the whales and the trip, we saw whales breaching and tail flipping, fantastic, we watched a family of whales rolling around and an albino young whale showing interest. The down side is I personally don't cope too well on boats, I dealt with the journey OK and saw the whales playing but whilst the boat was static I'm afraid I couldn't concentrate on events, I have my own way of dealing with this problem I was asked by a member of the crew if I was OK, which was nice, but for my paret I'm best left to cope alone. That said if you don't find a way of coping as I did you will miss a remarkable experience, well worth the trip, we were at the end of the season which finished in December as the whales move off to feed and wont be spotted in the area until March, so you need to plan your visit. A truly great experience

1  Thank SplashAbout