“great surroundings and staff, food was nice”
Review of Fusion Restaurant

Fusion Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 119 Restaurants in Hermanus
Cuisines: Seafood, Bar, Grill
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 18, 2013

This café is right on the seafront and has plenty of seating both inside and out. My husband and I dined here on Saturday 5th October and as it was off season, the place was quiet. I had the Halloumi starter which was nice, but it was huge and I ate too much to really get into my main course. My husband didn’t have a starter, but he ordered fish for his main and really enjoyed it – most particularly the salad that it was served with which was in the shape of a ball wrapped up in finely sliced cucumber. My main of pasta was nice….. but just nice. The café could have been warmer – all the staff were wearing coats inside, and I wished I was too (it was cold and dark outside). The staff however were brilliant, and the surroundings were lovely, and I’d say on a warm day/evening it is the perfect spot for dinner.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Had a really nice evening meal outside and although one of the cooler evenings still enjoyable with the provided blankets. The fairy lights added a nice sparkle and had it not being dark the view out to the sea would have been great. Service was really friendly and the meal (catch of the day) was delicious and the calamari tasty and tender. My husband had the ribs which were tasty but not that big and not that much meat on them.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

While on our honeymoon in South Africa my husband and I stayed in Hermanus for one night following a day of shark diving nearby. We wanted to do some exploring and find a romantic place to have dinner so we took a Tuk-Tuk from our hotel to the waterfront village. It was a particularly windy day as a strong storm was setting in so the area was nearly deserted. I was in the mood for pasta so we glanced at several dining options before settling on Fusion Café. We were immediately greeted by a gentleman who seated us and brought us some complimentary sherry to help warm us up. For dinner I ordered their soup of the day (I cannot remember exactly what it was called, but it was Italian something) and the chicken and cashew pasta. It was truly one of the BEST meals I have ever had; the flavors were so refined and intricate. My husband ordered a salad and burger for dinner and he was equally pleased with his choices.

So I genuinely believe that it is one thing to have great service, but it is a whole different thing when the staff goes above and beyond to exceed your expectations to give you a memorable and excellent dining experience. The service was incredible throughout the entire evening, but one of the things that really stuck out in my mind happened when the manager, Kobus, (or possibly owner?) came to ask how our meal was. I told him it was one of the best meals I had ever eaten and was desperate to get the recipe. Kobus explained that the chef creates innovative, tasty dishes on a regular basis and does not have set recipes. However, he returned a few minutes later with a note pad and wrote down all of the ingredients with a basic rundown on prep. The next thing that demonstrated remarkable, customer-oriented service was when we asked the manager if he could call our Tuk-Tuk driver to come pick us up, to which he readily agreed. We wanted to get some fresh air so we said we would wait outside, despite the blustery winds and chilly temperature. After a minute or two Kobus came outside to inform us our driver was on his way. He then proceeded to wait with us to make sure we were actually picked up safely. The service was incredibly friendly and attentive, the food was all bursting with flavor, and it was all around a wonderful experience. My only complaint so that it is halfway around the world from our home and I'm genuinely sad that I will not be able to visit Fusion Café anytime soon!

Reviewed October 2, 2013

The restaurant has got a magnificent location and you are in the heart of Hermanus when you dine here. Don't get me wrong about the food as there is not much wrong with it but it unfortunately is not the best Hermanus has to offer. The service also needs a little improvement. Overall not a bad experience but nothing special.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

We recently dined at Fusion Cafe while in Humanus, the menu had plenty of choices and good value, the staff were very friendly and the ocean view was great.