“complaint”

Hermanus Beach Club
Ranked #65 of 87 Hermanus B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Firstly when we got there the fridge didn't work, it got us to get hold of the sales agent to try and get someone to put gas in it. Keep in mind I had meat etc that needed to be kept in the fridge. My husband spend Sundat morning driving through Hermanus looking for ice so that I could keep my food cold in cooler boxes. We had to wait at the flat until someone came a whole Sunday wasted. There was no broom to sweep the floor, the remote needed new batteries, the windows were so dirty. Surely you need someone to check all this before someone occupy the flat. You also need some cleaning service that can assist your guests, when you are on holiday you don't want to clean all the time, we stayed for two weeks. .... How can you rent a place out, but you don't have someone there if you need help, I had to contact the sales person to get someone to assist me. We won't visist Hermanus Beach Club again and I won't recommond this to anybody.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Upon checking in at the Hermanus Beach Club, the guard at the 24hr security boom had our keys ready as it was a Sunday, so easy check in with no issues.

Before I proceed, I want to note that the unit we reserved was through Beach rentals and not timeshare RCI. I think there is a big difference as the timeshare units are cleaned daily and has timeshare standards in terms or decor and being stocked with kitchen utensils etc. Beach rentals manages individually owned units on behalf of the owners, so each unit is different.
Even though we had a 3 bedroom unit reserved, we only had 1 parking spot which may be a problem if you have more than 1 car.
The unit itself was ok. I think they could do a better job with cleaning. We had a bug and ant problem on the 2nd day and I asked to move. I must comment here that the lady who managed the bookings was exceptionally rude and hostile handling my complaint, which really soured my entire stay.
After paying more, We did manage to move to a new unit, which was clean and well situated.
You also have to take your own towels, which is not a big issue, but can be inconvenient.
There is no sandy beach, more of a rock beach, but they have stunning views and a lovely walk way along the sea.
They do have a little shop as well as a bar and pool table area which is very nice.
The location of the property is great, close to Hermanus downtown and the main road.

I personally will not stay here again due to the unpleasant people handling the reservations and the inconsistency of the units in terms of cleanliness, linens, and kitchen ware.
However, I think if you book with timeshare, it may be a different experience.

Room Tip: The bigger, single story units, 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom are more expensive but have better views and b...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank YoyoColorado
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We booked the 3 bed-roomed unit (Unit 249) at the Beach Club through our timeshare resort club. Situated at the southern side of Hermanus proper this resort is well positioned on the shore line with a host of new resorts being built behind and around it. The complex provides rental, time share and permanent accommodation and is very well laid out with beautiful gardens, paths and driveways with adequate parking close to the units. The unit itself was very comfortable and clean and servicing took place every day. The unit was compact without being cramped with a modern kitchen which was well stocked with all the necessary appliances. Rooms and cupboards were of reasonable size, well maintained and the beds were very comfortable. The main bathroom was small but had a shower attachment in the bath whilst the second bathroom only had a shower, basin and toilet.The lounge had a flat screen TV but on the downside the sleeper couch did not double well as a settee and was quite uncomfortable. Outside was a neat veranda and barbecue (braai). Permanent accommodation takes up the first two rows of units but you could see the sea from the lawn in front of the veranda. A short walk of 150 metres took you to the rocky shoreline. This had a paved walkway all the way along it and was good for a wonderful early morning or early evening walk. We watched the whale-watching boats go out every day but did not actually spot any whales from the resort. Resort facilities were good with tennis, squash, snooker tables, bar and communal lounge (large screen TV) and a nice pool. A bare necessities store could tide you over until you could shop in Hermanus shopping centres which are no more than 5 minutes away. We spent our week taking day trips along the coast and inland visiting the many whale watching spots in Hermanus, Gansbaai (De Kelders in particular), Gordon's Bay, and Simonstown. We saw many whales and their calves as well as dolphins on our trips. We visited the Botanical Gardens in Caledon ( very extensive and full of proteas !) and our day trip to Franschoek served up an unexpected delightful lunch at De Cameron in Stellenbosch. We were hungry and our Garmin obliged by directing us to this excellent restaurant. The "chicken vegetable stew curry" was outstanding.
We also took a day trip to Montagu and the famous Tractor Trailer Ride into the mountains. It is quite a long way from Hermanus (+- 180kms) but the scenery along the way is magnificent and is almost worth the trip on its own. In fact all of our road trips were enjoyed at a leisurely pace with a lot of shopping stops for the spouses. The Tractor trip is a must and the "potjie kos" lunch afterwards was very good as well. Our overall experience at Hermanus Beach Club was very good and would be happy to return at a not too future date.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Bob_N1522
Reviewed September 25, 2012

This is a fine place if you just want to visit Hermanus and have someone to stay. It's totally self-catering (so no towels, bare essentials, extra covers etc - nothing) and you have to foresee everything from soap to washing up liquid etc.
The sitting room furniture was clean and basic but absolutely fine, as were the beds but the apartment was freezing and there were no extra covers, only thin duvet covers - as such we were very cold and slept very badly.
The complex itself is quite child-friendly with a putt-putt, pool and lots of lawn so at least there's places for the kids to run around but it's not in the best area of Hermanus which you can tell by the high barbed wires everywhere.
All in all it was ok and not particularly expensive - I wouldn't stay again but only because there are nicer places for the same sort of price nearer the town centre.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the second floor if you have young children - my 20 month old son could fit his he...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 29, 2012

This was an RCI Timeshare booking for the children and I to get a little "R & R" (relaxation and rest) for the weekend. We wanted a destination not too far from Cape Town, and one where we could all recharge our batteries (aged 10, to 40-something!). We arrived slightly before 6.00pm - the office was already closed, however all had been well arranged and organised with security, and we arrived without a delay. The unit was perfect for our needs! Compact and cosy, and yet it had everything we needed to be comfortable for two nights away. It was well equipped, and other than a shower door which didn't seal properly, leading to a minor cleanup after every use, everything was in good working order. The beds were extremely comfortable - in fact I'm convinced my mattress hugged me every night! The most attractive feature of this resort was that only a small portion of units were available for timeshare bookings - the remainder were privately owned. This meant that it was not over-crowded, and our unit opened out onto a vast expanse of lawn, with a sea view, which offered nothing but complete relaxation and privacy. A short walk from our unit lead us onto the beach, and along a wonderful footpath that couldn't have got us closer to the sea! All interactions with resort staff were very warm and welcoming, and I got the feeling that nothing was too much trouble for them. The onsite store is stocked with the bare minimum, however Hermanus offers all the major chain stores within a short driving distance, so we lived in complete comfort for the weekend. The resort is well-maintained and neat, and the gardens in beautiful condition. Would we return.....? Absolutely! Our weekend break satisfied all our requirements and expectations! All in all, we had a wonderful stay at Hermanus Beach Club!

Room Tip: All timeshare units are along the same stretch so offer the same benefits.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Lynne M
Reviewed April 4, 2012

We had a mid-week stay at Hermanus Beach Club. On the morning of our check-in, we arrived rather early, having driven there directly from the Airport in Cape Town, and as our unit was already ready, we were allowed to check in! This was at 12:00 midday, and was a definite bonus for us. Being able to get settled and unpack early, allowed us time to do some grocery shopping, etc. We also had plans to get someone from one of the Homes in Hermanus, to spend the few days with us there, and the early check-in just made everything easier (normal check-in time is 16:00). Thanks to a very friendly Receptionist!

We found the resort to be really lovely and quiet, but sadly had only a distant view of the sea, as the privately owned units are in the front two rows with the best sea views. I was also disappointed that there is not really any place to just go and have a walk on the seaside, even though there would be no bathing area. We tried this one day, but you have to clamber over rocks, etc. - not something you could do with elderly people. So we just drove to the beach every day. Hermanus has some beautiful beaches, and I am so glad we discovered Grotto Beach! Long stretches of beautiful, clean beach, and the water was so fantastic (normally cold!), that we could even have a swim! I see that Grotto Beach also offers fantastic beach wheelchairs for use by disabled persons. Wonderful!

We stayed in a 3-bedroomed unit, for 8 persons. We were only 3 ladies and each had our own room. The third bedroom is so small, that one could hardly move around the 2 single beds (which were next to one another and stuck in a corner. I would never let 8 persons share this accommodation! It is not big enough. Two people would have to sleep on the sleeper couch, which is the worst sleeper couch I have ever seen, or tried to sit on. I told the Resort that if it had been my unit, that couch would have been out the door on the first day! Apart from the 4 added chairs, that is all that one has to sit on to watch TV. So, if 8 people stayed, 4 would have to be sitting on the couch!! Another issue for me - there were only 3 bar stools at the breakfast area, and 3 minute chairs on the breakfast table area. Again - catered for 6. The beds and bedding though, were absolutely fantastic. Everything was nice and clean. The towels MUST be replaced. They were white and beautiful many yonks ago! There is a patio with fireplace for a BBQ, but I cannot understand why it has no roof over. The beams are there. It often drizzles, and then this area is useless.

I honestly believe that the main bedroom should also have its own TV. One TV for all is not really standard in a unit of this size.

The shop on site did not seem to offer too much, so we did not really use it. There is also a nice pool, which we did not use.

As regards food, we visited the new pier very close by, and bought the most wonderful fresh fish and chips, and ate this overlooking the sea. The Resort is really very safe and secure, and conveniently situated to get to town and go shopping. However, you cannot do any of this without a vehicle.

Would I stay again? Not sure. The disgusting couch, insufficient patio, and grey towels really irritated me endlessly.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank 2travelislife2me
Reviewed February 12, 2012

Complex consists of privately owned and timeshare units. The self-catering unit was well equipped and spacious enough although some might find it a bit cramped if the full allocation of 6 people is filled. The complex has all the basic facilities with nothing wonderful. A nice place for some peace and quiet with lovely views. The location was away from the nice beaches and town centre (where all the attractions and eating places are), so we found that a bit of an inconvenience.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple