“Great fun at Burgundy's”

Burgundy Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 112 Restaurants in Hermanus
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
maastricht/ the Netherlands
“Great fun at Burgundy's”
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

Not easy without reservation, but -if succesfull- you'll have a great dinner or lunch either inside or outside the restaurant.
Food is perfect, conversation and service of staff is funny and respectfull, location is top.
We had a great evening and can recommend the place strongly.

Visited October 2013

• Czech first
Southfield, Michigan
“Good Food, Service, Secenery and Conversation”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Service, Food, and Scenery, what more could one want from a restaurant. We received a warm welcome from the greeter. It was a cool afternoon and we were undecided if we should be seated inside or out. The young lady who greeted us came up with a solution for our needs. She provided blankets and a warm drinks and we sat outside and watched for whales.

We could not decide on what to order off the menu, there were so many wonderful options. At the suggestion of our greeter we order the Meat Bobotie which is a traditional South African dish. I was concerned because my husband is a traditional salt and pepper person and this dish had different spices than he usually eats. The food was delicious and inviting to the eye. The Bobotie looked like it had a golden cheese topping, but we found out it was an egg topping and the pumpkin fritter that accompanied it were fried to a golden brown, with rice and sautéed vegetables. He loved every bit of his meal and so did I.

The scenery was beautiful, looking out on the Bay from a picturesque fishing village which is also known for it’s whale watching. While we were eating the whale crier came by and we got a chance to chatter with him. Also, several other restaurant guest who noticed we were not from the area stopped by our table and welcomed us to South Africa. Our greeter was most interesting and friendly, she had an English accent and we thought she was from England but was a local. The winds were high on the bay. We did not see any whales that day, but it was a wonderful afternoon spent on the terrace of the Burgundy Restaurant with good food, service, scenery and conversation.

Should you visit the Burgundy Restaurant? 100% yes!

• Visited September 2013
“Crapy Attitude”
Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

Sunday 27Oct we were booked at a nearby hotel and the Resturant was recommended for an easy supper. When we went for supper, a waiter approached us and asked us if we have any booking which we didn't and he advised that they were fully booked for the evening, the time was around 8pm. we then went to another place where we only stayed for an hour and on our back, while passing Burgundy Resturant, I was surprised that they were 1/4 full, bearing in mind it was Sunday night and the streets and restaurants in the area were also empty. I asked myself if they don't accommodate other races or what was the reason of not letting is have our dinner. It says it all that it wasn't a matter of not booking. To me it doesn't matter how it comes highly recommended but I will not go there again.

George, South Africa
“Never disappoints”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We had Sunday lunch here - and once again we were not disappointed! We have been coming here, on and off when in the vicinity, for more the 20 years. The food was excellent and extremely enjoyable, as was the staff - pleasant & attentive but not invasive. Gets a highly recommended from me!

• Visited October 2013
Bangor, United Kingdom
“When 3 out of 4 means something is very wrong in the kitchen !!”
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

We went there last night on the first night of our trip to SA, and what a disappointment it was, especially from the kitchen side of things.

Our waiter was a young man called Henry from Zambia who could not have been more polite and went out of his way to be helpful bringing us cushions and then blankets when the temp dropped quickly, before moving us inside for our main course.

Unfortunately, the service side of the restaurant was not supported by the kitchen side. We ordered the carpaccio of springbok which was seved with a balsamic glaze and fresh Parmesan which was excellent but obviously required no cooking skills. On the other hand, our other starter of Bobotie spring rolls were assembled and presented well but stone cold in the middle, this was re cooked but served back to me on the same plate which was a bit of a mess.

We moved inside and waited far too long on the main courses which both came out wrong and guess what...? Cold.!! I had ordered the Ostrich steak in a port reduction on a bed of mash with butternut croquette and veg and requested it medium rare. My wife went the simple route of the homemade burger with basil pesto topped with cheese bacon and onion rings.

What we got was different. I had the ostrich which was cold although might still have had a pulse served with a very stodgy potato croquette and parsnip shavings and veg. My wife had the burger with no bread as requested with basil pesto fresh from the fridge and served with no onion rings or cheese and a side order of very soggy fries served luke warm.

When I spoke to Peter the manager he was very apologetic and told us he would speak to the kitchen and there would be no charge for the food part of our ruined meal. He then insisted we had a dessert on the house but we had waited too long for the food we had already not enjoyed and the moment was gone. I said we would have a couple of expresso coffees and a brandy instead which he got for us, and promptly added to our bill.

Peter then told us he had booked us in for the following night so that he could show us that things should have been, but I can only assume if we were paying for our brandies after this disaster of an evening the following meal if 'done' right was also be at our expense.

We had a very nice bottle of Raka Cab Sauvignon wine which I certainly had no issue in paying for, but I won't be returning to take my chances another night. We have only 3 nights in Hermanus and unfortunately this was a waste of one of them.

The management need to be on the pass paying much more attention to what the kitchen are sending to the tables or it will not maintain it's very surprising rating on the list of restaurants in Hermanus.

Visited October 2013