“Great staff, location and service”

Protea Hotel by Marriott King George
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in George
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I loved my stay here, the staff were always on top of things. The location was fantastic, a great escape from the hustle and bustle of daily life. The lush surroundings is a definite plus for me, especially considering that I have 4 little people to consider. They had a great time. I would definitely visit this hotel again.
Keep it up guys!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed January 9, 2013

The facade of the main building belies what lurks beneath. We booked a family room for two adults and two kids, the room was prepared two people only, with only two towels and two cups placed in the room, despite the two double beds. The buffet dinner had a very limited variety, the food must have been prepared well in advance of the dinner sitting as most of the dishes were overcooked. The desserts at least were palatable. The beds were lumpy and could do with replacing. Despite the beautiful setting, Protea Hotel King George falls well short of its 4 star rating.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Deleur S, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott King George, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Dear Craig,
GUESTS' perceptions of the service they receive whilst staying with Protea Hotels is the only true yardstick we have for measuring whether or not we have met their expectations. We would, therefore, like to thank you for taking the time to comment after your recent stay at Protea Hotel King George. I can assure you that your comments will be used constructively to maintain and improve our service levels and facilities.

The inconvenience which you experienced throughout your stay is most definitely not the standard we strive to achieve. Please be assured that your comments have been addressed in detail with the relevant management and STAFF.

I can assure you, should you stay at Protea Hotel King George again, that every effort will be made to ensure that you enjoy our true hospitality! Please do not hesitate to contact me personally for any assistance you may require from our side in future. It would be my pleasure to assist you with your next reservation and to ensure that you are well taken care of during your next stay with us.

Yours in Royal Hospitality,

Reviewed December 27, 2012

Quite hard to find this hotel - need a GPS or map. Great (new) main hotel, but rooms are separate. Nice pool in the middle of the grounds. Be careful to ask for a non-smoking room, as we did and were put into a room that had previously had smokers. Quick and efficient check- out. Had an argument with housekeeping about the baby cot , not a good attitude displayed.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 9, 2012

This is a typical 1950’s type colonial chalet hotel, which boarders a nearby golf course. Out of town and too far to walk safely.

If you want a secluded location and to step back into what the past was like then this hotel is for you.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 17, 2012

It was a much needed breakaway, the kind you need every once in a while to experience different surrounds and meet new people. After arriving late afternoon at the Protea Hotel King George, my breath wasn't only taken away by the neat and luxurious reception and water fountains but also by the mighty Outeniqua mountains providing the perfect backdrop.

As I arrived at reception to check in, I was greeted by a lady with a sincere smile. While signing the check-in forms, I was offered a glass of fresh apple juice. (This impressed me as you don't always get a drink on check-in). They address you as "Sir" (or 'Mam') and treat you individually, which makes you feel quite important and welcome!

I was then given the breakfast and dinner times and received my 'key' card to open my room.

The rooms are completely separate from the main building, which makes the hotel look like a type of residential complex. As I opened my room for the very first time, I was surprised by the hotel's attention to every little detail. Complimentary gifts (even a bottle of fresh water) greeted me and surprised me in every way. Even a letter addressed to me welcoming me and inviting me to dinner (correct date, spelling and all!)

My room had a stunning view (through partly colour stained glass) of the icy blue swimming pool and beautiful lawn with my own patio table. The room also had an aircon and a LCD TV on the wall with a special selection of DStv Channels (even the channels and their numbers were indicated on a separate brochure and the TV guide was left open on the correct day). The room also has a telephone where you can phone reception directly and room service as well! (Menus provided in the room).

So, after I settled in, it was night time and we went to enjoy dinner in the main building. We ordered a wrapped pork fillet. The waiting time was reasonable. And as the food arrived, I was impressed once again. Neatly presented and extremely tasty, so soft and juicy! The breakfast the next morning impressed me as well with a big selection of yogurt, fruit salads, cereal (for the more healthy persons) and bacon, eggs, freshly made omelettes on request, pork bangers and so much more. All neatly presented, warm and fresh.

After eating a lot, we enjoyed the cozy lounge with a lovely fireplace while enjoying the provided evening newspaper (it was cold that evening, so the fire was more than welcome). I also admired the interior design, the chandeliers and general layout. The reception area boasts a beautiful and massive chandelier. The hotel has beautiful music (mostly well known love songs) playing in the background in the restaurant and through-out the lounge area.

The bar has a cozy feel to it and even though I didn't spend a lot of time there, I sure think that one can have a good time there drinking and being merry. Outside, there is also a playground for the children while parents can admire (or use) the beautiful golf course with the Outeniqua Mountains in the background. The staff treats you with respect and makes you feel welcome at all times... Four stars indeed!

I can say for sure that this was an amazing stay (Technically 35 minutes away from my own home and it felt like I was in a different world!). The only thing that made me realise I was actually in George was the Outeniqua mountains. I would recommend the Protea Hotel King George any day! Bravo!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the garden and swimming pool. It also has a wonderful view of the mountains. S...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Eon E
Deleur S, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott King George, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Dear Eon E

Thank you very much for the kind feedback, without this feedback we will never know whether we are meeting or exceeding your expectations. I am glad that you had an oppertunity to just get away a bit(even though it was just around the corner) and were able to enjoy the hotel.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed September 14, 2012

A group of 5 of us stayed earlier this year in February for 4 nights and this was the 5th year in a row we have done a spilt destination golf tour in SA so prior to this had 8 other hotels to compare against and this was by far the best quality v value for money we have experienced to date. So much so we will soon be booking to return next year and having heard how good it was the group has grown to 8-9 and incresed George to the lions share of the tour for 6 days. Rooms very large and spacious, clean and staff simply very helpful, couldnt fault a thing and already looking forward to next year.

Room Tip: If you are a golfer make sure you have a room overlooking the 11th fairway
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Mark,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback, we are delighted to have made your stay a memorable one. I have seen that you already booked for next year...I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

And I will make sure you and the rest of your party recieve the golf course facing rooms.

King regards,

Reviewed July 27, 2012

I stayed there for 3 nights during the week. The hotel was quite quiet and we were out a lot on business. Didn't eat there but used the bar and they had a happy hour every evening and the barman gave us all the details on the first night we were there. Gave us bar snacks too as we were hungry. We had drinks in the bar every evening before going out and when we arrived back late they kept the bar open for us to have a nightcap. I found all the staff to be willing to go the extra mile, especially the bar staff. THe rooms were nice size and all around the lovely gardens, not in a usual multi-storey hotel building. Luckily we had a driver as I think it might have been difficult place to find as seemed to be in a semi-residential area. I think it was a 3 star and it suited our needs perfectly. Very central location with restaurants not too far away.

Room Tip: If the weather is bad then you want a room close to the main building.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Marion S
Deleur S, Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott King George, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2012

Thank you for your positive feedback after your recent stay with us at the Protea Hotel King George!
I am delighted to hear that the STAFF were so friendly and efficient. Your commendations of our beautiful 4-star property and our STAFF in particular are highly valued, and I wish to assure you that we have congratulated them for doing such an outstanding job!

GUEST feedback is imperative for us to ensure that we are meeting and exceeding our GUESTS’ expectations. Your comments are therefore much appreciated, and we hope to have the privilege of welcoming you to Protea Hotel King George again soon.

The TEAM at the Protea Hotel King George

Also consider these accommodations in or near George
Oubaai Hotel Golf & Spa
Protea Hotel by Marriott Mossel Bay
Town Lodge George
Town Lodge George
#6 of 9 in George

Been to Protea Hotel by Marriott King George? Share your experiences!