“The best value I’ve encountered in years”

Far Hills Country Hotel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in George
johannesburg, south africa
“The best value I’ve encountered in years”
Reviewed April 7, 2011

I stayed at Far Hills Country Hotel during a recent visit to the Garden Route, and was “lured” inside by a banner advertising extremely low prices. I didn’t expect those prices to be real – usually they’re just a ploy to get you to reception. But I did pay R450 for a double room (including breakfast for two). It’s the best value I’ve encountered in years. In fact, I paid more on the way at the Colesberg Lodge with its seriously old, musty rooms and excluding breakfast!

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Woking
Reviewed November 9, 2010

Arrived on 9th November to find the hotel all closed up - no notice given to us. Very disappointed.

Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Nellie007, General Manager at Far Hills Country Hotel, responded to this review, March 14, 2011
The Far Hills Country Hotel owner and staff sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused due to our temporary closure in November. The Hotel had a change of management and is again open for business. Our slogan is Touch the Earth / Feel at Home. Please come and experience our hospitality. Kind Regards Prieur du Plessis (GM).

Travelers are raving about these George hotels

Perth
Reviewed October 3, 2010

We had a fantastic stay at the Far Hills Country Hotel where our family joined us for an afternoon followed by dinner for our first day there. The hotel provided fantastic service to my family and it will be a day we will always remember as very happy and hassle free. We were booked into a romantic room which we changed our mind about upon arrival as we wanted our son in another room so that we all had a good nights sleep and this was arranged. We had a gorgeous view of the pool and the mountains the scenery is simply beautiful. The staff were very warm and friendly they went out of their way to provide fantastic service and were all very sweet and chatted to my son when they saw him. The pub here serves the best hamburger I have ever eaten! My partner felt sick one particular day and Patrick came to ask me how my partner was doing I was stunned as I have never come across actual care in a hotel before. I strongly recommend this hotel for romance, single individuals or families. We thought it was definitely value for money and were very sad to say good-bye. Management are very organized and are keen to leave people with a good experience. Comfort, coziness, friendliness, great service, beautiful views, safe, yummy food and the desire to keep customers satisfied makes this the perfect place to stop for a meal, a night, a week-end or a couple of days or weeks. No wonder the schools in the UK use it every year they know a good thing when they see it!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 22, 2010

We approached this 3 day stay as part of a 16 day car tour of the Cape with some trepidation, having read earlier tripadvisor reviews. But there isn't much to choose from in the George area in this price range. We needn't have worried. Far outweighing any negatives were the fact that the views are absolutely fabulous , the rooms are very spacious , with good balconies, and furnished in my view to 5 star standard ( we didn't experience any of the thin bedding mentioned elsewhere and everything was very clean) . The fact that ours was nice and cool was a very good thing in the searing temperatures.

Positives:- Great views and pool area. Spacious grounds and rooms.
Negatives:- It's showing some signs of age. The main restaurant is dark and the food heavy. Not good and there aren't many other options in the area. The staff, though friendly and well intentioned, could do with a slightly greater sense of purpose.

We only discovered on our last evening ( no-one had drawn it to our attention) that there is also a " Cafe" menu with lighter dishes which I think would have been a better option.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Somerset
Reviewed September 21, 2009

The location is wonderful and the view from our room across the gardens to the hills was great.

However, our room was cold and the bedding ancient - the covers were paper thin and 'bobbly'. The main plug socket was loose in the wall. We had no hot water on the first morning and when I complained to the manager, she did not apologise but said as we were staying on she would get maintenance to see to it.

The restaurant was straight out of Fawlty Towers. The first night we were shown to our table where there was a folded paper menu. When asked if we were with the tour, we said no and were given the same menu in a cover! So much for a 'fine dining experience', No wine list but we could have a look in the cellar - we wanted to know something about what the choices were and ended up with what was open in the bar.

Breakfast next day was buffet style and cooked to order - fine but the mats on our table were torn and dirty.

The only alternative for dinner had been the Japanese restaurant so we decided to try that the second night - it was closed as there were only four people in the hotel. The food offered in the main restaurant was from the cafe light lunch menu - again hardly a la carte fine dining. Breakfast the next morning - no buffet as only 4 guests. I chose (rather courageously?) Eggs Benedict, These arrived perfectly poached with two slices of bacon arranged on sweet fruit muffin and topped with something hard which bore no relation to the advertised ;Hollandaise Sauce.

That was enough and despite having been booked (and paid) for a a third night we left.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dms2546
UK
Reviewed January 28, 2009

This was a very odd mixed bag, that could be so easily sorted. The location is stunning, our room had the most beautiful view of the hills and stunning gardens. The room was large and had a really comfy bed, bathroom was a little basic and needed rennovating, but it was OK. No mini-bar which was a shame. Overall a nice room.

The staff were very nice indeed - helpful and friendly. The grounds were beautiful, and the swimming pool area was very nice but needs to be heated!

The disappointing elements for me were:
1. The amazing shop in reception was closed the WHOLE time we were there! It was saturday, I would have loved to have bought something.
2. The bar had a great cocktail menu, but when I tried to order one they only actually had ingredients for ONE on the list!
3. The restaurants were a disaster - there was bar food, a japanese sushi bar which you couldn't get into, and a 'fine dining' restaurant which was a buffet. I don't like buffets at all, I like to sit down and have food brought to me as I think that is far more relaxing, and I couldn't believe the only option was a buffet. We ate in the bar in the end and had a very nice bottle of wine, very very mediocre food, and again they only had 2 puddings available on their long pudding menu.

So overall I left with a feeling of disappointment which was a shame, because this place could be really great.

• Liked — Lovely views
  • Disliked — Food options - or lack thereof
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank Frogwell
Halifax
Reviewed January 10, 2009

The terrible weather and continuous heavy rain during our two night stay at Far Hills meant we did not experience the hotel at its best. We never saw the view as the cloud/fog meant we couldn't see much beyond our balcony. Our room was very cold and there was no heating. It was too cold to use the swimming pool, but it did look as if it would have been nice.

The main rain water runoff for the part of the building that our room was in was immediately outside our front door. This meant all day and night there was a loud noise of pouring water. Very difficult to sleep through.

The room was superficially clean but under the beds and tables it was filthy.

The restaurant and the meals were excellent and great value for money. We particularly liked the log fire which burnt in the dining room throughout the day and evening.

The staff were helpful.

• Liked — The restaurant.
  • Disliked — Dirty room.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near George
Oubaai Hotel Golf & Spa
The Wilderness Hotel
The Wilderness Hotel
#2 of 5 in Wilderness
Cinnamon Boutique Guest House

Been to Far Hills Country Hotel? Share your experiences!