“Good golf”
Review of Fancourt

Fancourt
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in George
Reviewed December 3, 2008

We stayed here for 2 nights as part of an organised golf trip. We had standard rooms which were a little small but comfortable for a short stay. Three of the restaurants were closed as the hotel was quiet. On the first night we ate in La Cantina restaurant which was quite poor. The service wasn't great and the presentation and quality of the food was poor. On the second night we went into George and had an excellent meal for about half the price. We played the Outeniqua and Montagu courses which were excellent, as were all the golfing staff and Caddies. Well worth a 2 or 3 day visit to play the golf courses.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank henders

Reviewed October 15, 2008

This is one of the cases where you have to separate infrastructure from the human factor. While the grounds, rooms, and facilities are very nice and well kept, the service has been surprisingly poor, especially considering this is a LHW property.

Some examples:
- I am a Leaders Club member, usually this provides a room upgrade, welcome amenity, and late checkout. Well, here it provided none of the above, not even when specifically asked for it.
- There is a driving range next to the main building which is for 'warm up only', whereas another driving range is further away (need for shuttle). Even when there is nobody using the warm up area (and there is space for 20 players) they still would not let you use it.
- the range closes at 5, one evening our meeting finished around 5, and several of us rushed to the range to hit a few balls. They told us "we are closing", so we were not provided with balls, even though there was daylight until 7.
- Checkout time is 11. I asked for an extended checkout time of 2pm (see above) which was declined, and not even 12 or 1 was offered. On my day of departure I was woken up by housekeeping at 08h30, banging on my door and asking whether I still needed my room (keeping in mind my room was never serviced before 12 or later on the previous days). I then put the 'do not disturb' sign on the door, only to have the guy checking the minibar walking straight into my room (knocking on the door while opening it at the same time) when I was naked in the bathroom.

I complained to reception, but there was nothing but 'oh really, well we are sorry'. This is not LHW, not 5 Star, this is just poor. Too bad for the nice facilities.

On another note, the greenfees are very expensive for South African standards (700 Rand for the two on-site courses, 1800 for the links), you can play for 250 Rand or less any of the equally nice courses in the region.

I have stayed at the Arabellasheraton in Kleinmond, which was a way superior experience.

• Stayed: October 2008
3  Thank vertim
Reviewed July 26, 2007

We stayed at Fancourt for 2 nights in the middle of a recent holiday to SA. We wanted to go somewhere mid-way through the holiday where we could relax and chill out for a couple of days, and Fancourt seemed to have everything we wanted.

Fancourt is, first and foremost, a golf destination, then a spa and hotel. As such, it’s a slightly peculiar set-up. The main building houses the golf club house and pro shop, bar, restaurants, shops, check-in area and spa. The bedrooms are elsewhere. Some are in the old manor house, which is just across the courtyard, but we had booked a suite, so once we had finished checking in, we were whisked by golf buggy to our room which was about 500 metres from the club house. It was almost like a little development of town houses, and felt a bit peculiar being set so far away from the bar and restaurants, and having to put on coats and scarves to walk to dinner! We were told to ring the porters each time we wanted to go back up to the main building, but the grounds of the hotel are so beautiful that we enjoyed the walk, and didn’t bother calling them again until we were checking out and needed to be reunited with our car.

The suite was modern and sleek, decorated in neutral colours and light wood (although, dare I say it, it was a touch bland for my taste). Nevertheless, the bed and sofas were extremely comfortable, and the bathroom was something of a haven, with a slightly sunken bath set into the window alcove so you could lie in the bath and look out the window.

We ate in 2 of the restaurants (Sansibar and La Pecheur), and the food in both was lovely. The sushi in La Pecheur is especially good. We also had lunch in the club house bar, and we had no complaints there.

The golf credentials of Fancourt are well known. They are justifiably proud of the courses, and there is a course for every level of ability - all are spectacularly set and a joy to walk around.

The spa is the main attraction for non-golfers. As well as the spa treatment rooms, there is a pool, Jacuzzi, Roman bath, steam room, etc. Cleverly, the hotel also has a separate leisure centre/pool for families, which is in a different location, so the emphasis in the spa is on relaxation and quiet time.

All told, if you’re looking for a hotel that offers great leisure and relaxation, Fancourt might well be worth a visit.

Oh, incidentally, the photo that appears on the top of the main review page (the one with the fish tank) is NOT a bedroom, as stated in the caption, but is the reception area of the spa.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 12, 2007

We were upgraded to a suite, at the garden level, very spacious and nicely decorated, but with a terrible mouldy smell. After some insistance, the next day we were moved to another room at the first floor. This was OK.
The setting and the gardens are beautiful, but the service is not at the level of a 5 stars hotel.
The breakfast buffet e.g. is not neat (flies) and the food not properly kept (no refirgeration). Even the cutlery is not clean, we have seen the waiters leaving some forks and knives on the table for the next guests.
The food in Zanzibar restaurant was acceptable and not expensive, but we were served some cheese which looked like some leftovers of the breakfast.
Even in the Spa there are some problems with cleanliness and control.

Stayed: April 2007
Reviewed January 20, 2007

Booked historic manor room but were upgraded to garden suite room which seemed to happen to a number of people. We were a bit sceptical but the suites overlooking the beautiful gardens are superb. The receptionist had not made it clear they were offering us a better room!
We used the hotel as a touring base for the Garden Route which worked fine but this hotel would be a more obvious choice for golfers. The grounds are beautiful, the leisure facilities are superb but I really did not appreciate the food at this price level.
Although the hotel is good especially for golfers I am inclined to think I would stay further east for the best of the Garden Route.
Nonetheless, it was a great 6 night break.

• Stayed: January 2007
1  Thank NewtonLondon
Reviewed January 18, 2005

Having stayed in the Palace of the Lost City/Sun City, Caesars Palace (Joburg) and the Intercontinental at Joburg Airport plus 4 other 4 star hotels in SA, I cannot rate this hotel highly enough. I was totally blown away by this hotel and the fact that its probably the only hotel that lived upto my expectations. Found it in the lonely planet guide and though it took me almost an hour to find it in George, boy was it worth it. Upon arrival, a most gracious welcome along with a cool glass of wine or orange juice was offered, then a complimentary upgrade was given to a suite. The suite was the size of an average house with a bathroom as big. This room had everything and I defy anyone to find fault with it!. Stunning views, luxury HUGE bed and a level of comfort I have never experienced before. The owners of Fancourt sure know how to look after guests and when I return this will be the only hotel I will want to go back to. In all honesty, the welcome and service here makes the Palace at Sun City look a little unwelcome. Plus the food is TO DIE FOR and the restaurant staff are gracious, accomodating and nothing seems to be too much trouble.

I couldn't find one fault with this hotel.

Three cheers for fancourt and thanks for making my stay so enjoyable.

5  Thank shellyLLLL
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 24, 2004

Simply, this is one of the best hotels in the world! Accomodation is superb, food is fantastic and you have a choice of five different style restaurants. If you are interseted in golf there are two great courses on your doorstep and the famous, and incredible, Links Course is only a short drive away.

But aside from all of this it is the welcome that makes Fancourt so special. Typical South African hospitality with efficiency and a genuine smile.

Oh.. after golf have a drink on the wonderful terrace...no have two, their so cheap!

• Stayed: May 2004
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near George
Oubaai Hotel Golf & Spa
Protea Hotel by Marriott King George
3 mi away
Protea Hotel by Marriott George Outeniqua
Protea Hotel by Marriott Mossel Bay

Been to Fancourt? Share your experiences!