“Something Missing?”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in George
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Something Missing?”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

A few months ago a few of my friends and I planned a trip to Fancourt where the guys could play golf and the girls could relax at the Spa. There were four couples involved and we had an excellent weekend despite the weather which was truly awful - winds up to 70kmh and some driving rain which made it freezing on the golf course - strangely enough the girls didn't complain about the Spa. The hotel appears to be going through some renovations and a temporary reception is being used but that was fine. The rooms were excellent - I had a suite with a lounge and the beds were very comfortable. it had all the necessary fixtures and fittings that we needed and I have no complaints in this regard. The breakfast was really good and offered a decent spread of hot and cold food. The 'pub grub' (with the exception of the chicken pies which were awful and had bones in them) served at the Clubhouse and Halfway Houses was really good and affordable. The price of drinks was fair although it seems that the non-alcoholic drinks subsidise the alcoholic drinks - which was fine for our party. We watched the rugby at the clubhouse on Saturday which was disappointing as they had a big screen TV but had no real sound. An upmarket place should have a decent audio visual system in place. The dinner at La Cantina was OK but really nothing special. Reasonable food reasonable prices, good service. The disappointment was the Henry White Restaurant which was billed as a high class restaurant and it was actually pretty poor especially given the high cost of the meal. The selection of food was limited and when one of our party asked to chat to the chef about the quality they insisted he should rather speak to their PR person/manager of the restaurant. The rest of the people had meals which were OK but not great. Coming from Johannesburg I think we have such a vast selection of brilliant restaurants so we probably expected too much. It did not spoil the evening as we all had a great time and the waitresses were excellent and understanding. I think if the trip was not a get together of some very close friends we may well have spoilt the evening. On another note the pubs seems to close very early in the evening which is quite surprising. Finally the golf courses we played (Montague and Outeniqua) were OK but not as good as I expected them to be. They looked a little in need of attention - although we are at the beginning of spring so it is understandable I suppose. They played extremely tough in the conditions - huge wind and a lot of rain.

Room Tip: All rooms are great but a ground floor room with a lounge is great as the verandahs open onto the ga...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Lisa T, Client Relations Officer at Fancourt, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you for your review of Fancourt. As a Leading Hotel of the World, feedback, whether positive or negative, helps us to improve our offering and although we are disappointed that we didn’t meet your expectations, we are appreciative of your review.

I have passed on your comments regarding our food and beverage offering to our Food and Beverage Manager, Cameron Townend, for further investigation and corrective measures.

It is our hope that we will have the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Client Relations Officer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2013

This was the second time we had stayed at Fancourt but have never been on the various golf courses. We use it as a secure and safe envious meant for the family. The staff are incredibly friendly and even remembered us from the previous year. Perhaps that's not a good thing on our part!

The food is pleasant. Breakfast is excellent in the Italian restaurant. I would say the rest of the food is good but not excellent. We had to take room service for evening meals which is a limiting menu and is a bit of a lottery. Indeed one night we ended up with no food at all despite being promised three times it was on its way over a two hour timespan. This was adequately compensated the previous day but we did go to bed rather hungry.

As you would expected the grounds are immaculate and the hotel very clean. I took advantage of the spa while I was there and had a back massage. It was good but spoilt by the masseuse trying to sell me various moisturizers.

The children's club is good with plenty of toys and most but not all members of staff create activities.

There is an outdoor pool which is unseated but a jacuzzi which is toasty warm. There's a limited drinks bar but no waiter service which I found very surprising.

I would recommend Fancourt to others. Garden rooms are big, modern, and have a balcony. It's expensive and could improve in some areas but overall is very pleasant.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Lisa T, Client Relations Officer at Fancourt, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Thank you for your comprehensive review of Fancourt. It is always a benefit to us to receive constructive feedback, from our guests, so we can improve our offering.

Since your stay with us we have been working tirelessly on improving our service excellence. In recognition of our efforts we have earned a TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence for 2013 and Leading Hotels of the World have ranked us in 4th position out of 16 hotels in South Africa, in 2012 we were in 12th position.

We look forward to welcoming you back so you experience the difference!

Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

The location of this place is amazing...they have a huge land around with a golf area...one can look around d place in small electric cars...it has a huge pool and a huge dinning area...the rooms are also big enough...a place you wouldnt wanna miss

• Stayed July 2013
Lisa T, Client Relations Officer at Fancourt, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience of Fancourt on TripAdvisor.

I couldn’t agree with you more on our wonderful location in the heart of the Garden Route. Fancourt is situated in the town of George, which is in the perfect position to explore the surrounding areas of Oudtshoorn, Knysna and Mossel Bay.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Had a fantastic two weeks at Fancourts. Food, room, service, golf, caddies...all exceptional and great value. A must for any golfer. I have never stayed anywhere more welcoming! And ask for Jaques ...best caddy you can find!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Lisa T, Client Relations Officer at Fancourt, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you for your heart-warming review of Fancourt. We pride ourselves on our service excellence and it is wonderful recognition for us to be acknowledged, across the whole resort, for being so welcoming to our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Laughton
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Stayed as part of an international conference, the hotel was fabulous. Staff welcoming, attentive and accomodating. The rooms are well appointed, with easy access. The food was a little dissapointing, but this might of been because we were eating conference food?

The golf however didnt meet the billing, supposed to be number 6 in SA; but i have played many courses that in my view far exceed whats on offer here. The Caddys are great, halfway house not worth stopping. Lovely freindly pro shop, but the courses, not for me.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank LaughtonFamily
Lisa T, Client Relations Officer at Fancourt, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Thank you for your review and for commending our team on their service.

I have addressed your comment regarding the food served from Banqueting with our Sous Chef for review and further consideration.

We are so disappointed to hear that you didn’t enjoy our golf courses as we pride ourselves on our three Gary Player designed courses. I would be most grateful for more detailed feedback so we can see how we can improve and better our product and offering.

I very much look forward to hearing from you.

Warmest regards

Cape St Francis, South Africa
Reviewed August 10, 2013

OK, I am biased because I was the 1st Golf Director at Fancourt more than 20 years ago when it opened. However, I just returned for a stay and golf with friends who had never been - I was proud to take them there and even happier to be back as a guest! When I refer to great service (by name), great food, great golf (this time at the Links) and great weather, don't for a minute think I am overlooking the great accommodation or the overall beauty that Fancourt brings. Now firmly established as the Hub of the Garden Route, I can proudly say I was there first and glad to be back. Thanks Lloyd for the very personal welcome. Cheers, Karen and your team for keeping it very special!

Room Tip: They are all great! Just choose the amount of room you need.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank SFLinksSA
Lisa T, Client Relations Officer at Fancourt, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review. This truly is the highest level of praise we can receive and we feel incredibly proud of Fancourt and the service that we offer to our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at Fancourt last week. From the moment I arrived till I left I was treated like an absolute VIP. It was the most incredible experience!!! Truly mind blowing. Exceeded all expectations and more!!!
The staff are all very welcoming and friendly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
The Manor House a, Guest Relations Manager at Fancourt, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review, as always it is a delight to receive such excellent feedback!

After reading this we are all feeling incredibly proud of Fancourt and the work that we passionately carry out to exceed our guests’ expectations on every occasion.

We truly look forward to welcoming you back to Fancourt in the not too distant future.

Roxanne Marais
Client Relations Officer
Also consider these accommodations in or near George
Oubaai Hotel Golf & Spa
The Manor House at Fancourt
Protea Hotel by Marriott King George
Protea Hotel by Marriott George Outeniqua
Cinnamon Boutique Guest House
Protea Hotel by Marriott Mossel Bay

Been to Fancourt? Share your experiences!